Porsche Enthusiasts Club Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:16 pm
Classic Line Insurance

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Ideas For Removing Stuck Reference Sensor Bracket
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:06 pm 

TIPEC membership: 0
Help!

I need some ideas on removing this bracket as it appears to be stuck fast. It seems somebody has been in and tried before me as the cap head screw on the drivers side is all chewed up, with the tools I have at my disposal I'm going nowhere fast and I'm seriously considering taking a chisel to it. I can move one of the reference sensors and its come out about halfway but the other is completely stuck solid and broken up in the process.

It feels like one step forwards tow steps back at the moment so all suggestions would be most welcome. 

Post subject: Re: Ideas For Removing Stuck Reference Sensor Bracket
PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:31 pm 

Been there Scott. I spent hours trying to get one out of mine out. Depending how much you have left you have different problems. I presume the top has broken of so the first thing you encounter is a hard steel magnet, if you use a small bur type tool in a dremel or some kind of flexi drive cut out the plastic around the magnet so as to give you some space to get pliers or similar on the magnet to be able to pull it out, when that's done drill into the core of the sensor as deep as possible take a depth measurement from a new sensor, then tap the hole to a suitable size so you can screw in a long bolt with a piece of pipe on the out side and a nut and washer on the top, bond the screw into the thread then wind down the nut and hope the sensor comes slowly out like a cork out of a bottle. And good luck as its a prat to get out. I feel your pain.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:26 pm 

Some limited success today. I managed to remove one sensor and one of the cap head screws, the other was just too damaged so I had to resort to cutting the head off it with an air saw. The bracket is now loose but I now notice something else bolted on to the bracket, black plastic held with a 10mm bolt what's that?

That's all I managed to get done today, hopefully I can finish getting the bracket out tomorrow after work and then I will worry about getting the broken sensor out :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:33 pm 

I bashed my head on removing the speed reference sender on a1984 928 which had been glued in place. The magnet core is the big hassle. I struggled with all sorts then rembered I had a baby hole saw cutter which came supplied in a reversing sensors kit. It slipped round the magnet and cut away enough to get a good grip on the magnet and was able to pull it out whole. Felt like an epic dental extraction. The case I bonded to length of steel
stud by running in high strength Araldite. I left it 24 hours to achieve some strength and then pulled by winding a nut on the stud using a box spanner as spacer. It resisted till the last 10 mm.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:31 pm 

That sounds like it was a right faff.