Porsche Enthusiasts Club Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:40 pm
Classic Line Insurance

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Cost to replace engine mounts on 1988 944 (non turbo)?
PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:42 pm 

TIPEC membership: 0
I have taken on a new project, yep a 944, a 1988 non-turbo model, done 135k miles and the engine sounds and runs great - apart from - On idle and cold start she's noisy, plenty of vibration noise, sounds like it could be a badly fitted manifold (last owner said he had it done but I suspect it was a bit of crappy job) and I also suspect it may be the engine mounts. Once up over 1500 rpm she settles down, on an actual run she sounds great. There's also a bit of a loss of general power up top, lower end she pulls, up top around 80 she starts to - feel like the tired lady she really is.

I plan to bring her back to full performance, so she's booked in for a full going over at my usual petrolhead garage next month. Anyway - how much do you think it will cost to replace the engine mounts, ideally I'd prefer OEM ones as opposed to the solid rubber, plus heat shields and make it a good, lasting job, for another 30 years :)

Thanks,

:albino:

Post subject: Re: Cost to replace engine mounts on 1988 944 (non turbo)?
PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:36 pm 

TIPEC membership: 8276
I seem to recall being quoted £700 for them on mine but we did it ourselves in the end.

The genuine Porsche mounts are around £290 for the pair

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:26 pm 

Nice - thanks!
Will report on the result when it's been done.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:28 am 

TIPEC membership: 7406
These are very good, and fraction of the price!

https://www.frazerpart.com/acatalog/944 ... tml#SID=16

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:07 am 

From what a writer for the Porsche magazine said a couple of years ago he was saying that he tried both the FrazerPart and the genuine Porsche items.

Both made a great difference to how the car drove but the FP ones were noisier inside the cabin. By the sounds of it sounds like when I went to Group N Mounts on the Pug 205 ; they are hard rubber mounts.

The Porsche ones in comparison he was saying made the car feel like it was brand new. A solid location with no noise inside the cabin :).

Ex Owner of a 1989 944 S2 and a 1991 944 Turbo (Ex Andrew Sweetenaham (ProMax) car)

Now Porkerless! Now with a 2003 BMW M3 and 1991 Mercedes W124 250D

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:40 pm 

TIPEC membership: 7406
AlpineTurbo wrote:
From what a writer for the Porsche magazine said a couple of years ago he was saying that he tried both the FrazerPart and the genuine Porsche items.

Both made a great difference to how the car drove but the FP ones were noisier inside the cabin. By the sounds of it sounds like when I went to Group N Mounts on the Pug 205 ; they are hard rubber mounts.

The Porsche ones in comparison he was saying made the car feel like it was brand new. A solid location with no noise inside the cabin :).

The Frazer Part mounts are hydraulic like the Porsche ones, not solid rubber.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:29 am 

I've just replaced mine over the weekend. They've made the car feel far more civilised!

I wish I'd seen those FrazerPart ones though. I ordered a pair from Rose Passion @£100 each inc postage. Marked 'Hamburg Technic Germany' with the correct 951 part number - I've not had a google to see if they are actually OEM. Memory says OEM was Meyle.
Faultless service from Rose Passion as usual :)

I also got quotes from Solihull OPC - £172 each, £310 for the pair after club discount, as of last week.

Anyway - I paid £200 for the mounts and a quid for new M5 x 40mm bolts as the newer style engine mounts require shorter ones than the original.

Job was an absolute pain that you could not pay me to do again. Lift the engine, drop the suspension crossmember, take off the power steering pump, ARB, and steering column (which you need to either take off the steering wheel side column, or move the rack to do...) and after all that it's still a massive pain in the backside. Most of that is for the right hand mount... the left hand mount is a doddle by comparison :wink:

To finish up, because you've moved the crossmember a geo is a good idea. I swapped out from springs at the same time, and camber, caster and toe had all moved considerably... still drove ok, but I'd gone from a little toe in, to a little toe out, so did need doing.

TLDR: £700 wouldn't surprise me in the least!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:04 pm 

Gryphon wrote:
I've just replaced mine over the weekend. They've made the car feel far more civilised!

I wish I'd seen those FrazerPart ones though. I ordered a pair from Rose Passion @£100 each inc postage. Marked 'Hamburg Technic Germany' with the correct 951 part number - I've not had a google to see if they are actually OEM. Memory says OEM was Meyle.
Faultless service from Rose Passion as usual :)

I also got quotes from Solihull OPC - £172 each, £310 for the pair after club discount, as of last week.

Anyway - I paid £200 for the mounts and a quid for new M5 x 40mm bolts as the newer style engine mounts require shorter ones than the original.

Job was an absolute pain that you could not pay me to do again. Lift the engine, drop the suspension crossmember, take off the power steering pump, ARB, and steering column (which you need to either take off the steering wheel side column, or move the rack to do...) and after all that it's still a massive pain in the backside. Most of that is for the right hand mount... the left hand mount is a doddle by comparison :wink:

To finish up, because you've moved the crossmember a geo is a good idea. I swapped out from springs at the same time, and camber, caster and toe had all moved considerably... still drove ok, but I'd gone from a little toe in, to a little toe out, so did need doing.

TLDR: £700 wouldn't surprise me in the least!

Corteco made OE Liquid Filled ones, not sure if Meyle did as well ? I've only seen the solid ones for sale

R

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:55 pm 

Meyle do solid and liquid filled ones. I've cut one open before to find out for sure!! About £40 quid for the liquid ones when I got them. Pretty identical to OEM if not actually OEM.

Stuart

Promax L2 chips, SciVision MAF, Lindsey DPW, MBC, Forge recirc valve, 3 bar FPR, K&N panel, GAZ Gold, wideband AFR, Sytec Motorsport Fuel Pump.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:42 am 

scam75 wrote:
Meyle do solid and liquid filled ones. I've cut one open before to find out for sure!! About £40 quid for the liquid ones when I got them. Pretty identical to OEM if not actually OEM.

Stuart

Ok, I wonder why they manufacture 2 versions unless the solid is aimed just at the 924s?
£40 for filled, the solid ones must be even less then?

R

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:05 pm 

TIPEC membership: 7496
The meyle ones are OEM, the only difference is the packaging.

ARO Peterborough Region

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:13 pm 

MichaelW944 wrote:

A (944 owner) Motor journalist I know refused to pay the OE prices, fitted Meyle but then regretted it, bit the bullet, changed them and declared the difference was night and day! this decided it for me as I'd already bought some Meyle, so I sold them on and bough OE from ebay USA (at the time 2013 the dollar was much better then) and they were cheaper even inc carriage and tax!than anywhere in the UK

When I bought mine I did lots of scanning on the web and research and found the Corteco brand were being called OEM
so I bought them at £300 instead of £80 , which usually indicates a major difference between the same component.

https://www.amazon.com/Porsche-944-Engi ... B00DWQ024S

Who knows? but I do know I've half balance shafts and a knife edged crank fitted on a Big bore 105mm short stroke 2.7 motor and I have no vibration issues anywhere in the rpm range. Hence I'd advise anybody else accordingly you takes you chance buying cheap and you may or may not have a problem. I think a few folk have changed knackered ones for cheap new ones which of course will always be an improvement.

R

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:48 am 

924srr27l wrote:
MichaelW944 wrote:

A (944 owner) Motor journalist I know refused to pay the OE prices, fitted Meyle but then regretted it, bit the bullet, changed them and declared the difference was night and day! this decided it for me as I'd already bought some Meyle, so I sold them on and bough OE from ebay USA (at the time 2013 the dollar was much better then) and they were cheaper even inc carriage and tax!than anywhere in the UK

When I bought mine I did lots of scanning on the web and research and found the Corteco brand were being called OEM
so I bought them at £300 instead of £80 , which usually indicates a major difference between the same component.

https://www.amazon.com/Porsche-944-Engi ... B00DWQ024S

Who knows? but I do know I've half balance shafts and a knife edged crank fitted on a Big bore 105mm short stroke 2.7 motor and I have no vibration issues anywhere in the rpm range. Hence I'd advise anybody else accordingly you takes you chance buying cheap and you may or may not have a problem. I think a few folk have changed knackered ones for cheap new ones which of course will always be an improvement.

R

You can buy solid or hydraulic ones. Always buy the hydraulic ones as they are the OEM ones.

ARO Peterborough Region

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:06 pm 

Quote:
MichaelW944[/b]

You can buy solid or hydraulic ones. Always buy the hydraulic ones as they are the OEM ones.

It's quite a confusing subject, Rein are also quoted as making them for Porsche OE

https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-944 ... 001-a.html

R

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:09 pm 

924srr27l wrote:
Quote:
MichaelW944[/b]

It's quite a confusing subject, Rein are also quoted as making them for Porsche OE

https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-944 ... 001-a.html

R

That page was 6 years old. Things have changed since then, Meyle only supplied the solid mounts at that time from what i was told when buying my hydraulic ones.

ARO Peterborough Region