Porsche Enthusiasts Club Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:57 pm
Classic Line Insurance

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Lucas Engine Oil Stop Leak Sealer
PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:45 am 

TIPEC membership: 0
Has anyone used ' Lucas Engine Oil Stop Leak Sealer' on a their 944? I've used the transmission version on another car and it worked.

My car didn't leak, but after having the belts done it now embarrasses its self where ever it goes. Moaned to the Garage and they just said it was leaking before. Pretty easy to tell the difference between no oil on the driveway and lots of telltale spots now.

Anyway, it's difficult to trace where the leak is from and I was curious to know if anyone had any success in using the 'Lucas Engine Oil Stop Leak Sealer'.

Andy S

1992 Porsche 944 S2 Cabrio
1975 Triumph Stag
1974 Alfa Romeo Spider S2

Post subject: Re: Lucas Engine Oil Stop Leak Sealer
PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:09 am 

Hi Andy

I'm assuming this product is like some others that rejuvenate's the rubber to help it seal better? this may help but from my experience, most 944 oil leaks on the front of the engine are due to worn metal rather than the seals failing themselves. You could fit a new seal and it would soon start leaking again if not replacing these parts. The issue is that the seals themselves wear grooves into the crank geared oil pump sleeve and the balance shaft top hats, once this groove gets deep enough the rubber no longer seals and a new seal only lasts for a very short time. You can buy the parts required which aren't an arm and a leg but it is a big job to replace these parts, the front crank sleeve is probably the easiest of the three, it's also the most likely seal to be leaking although personally if you've going to strip the front down anyway I'd go the whole way and do all 3. There are other reasons for renewing these parts besides just to cure oil leaks, I'd mark this as a job to do the next time you do the belts and put up with the small drops of oil for now.

regards

Pete

Post subject: Re: Lucas Engine Oil Stop Leak Sealer
PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:39 pm 

Thanks Pete, I suspect you're right. A big expensive job. I was hoping that An additive like Lucas would slow or stop the leak for awhile and then as you say bite the bullet and get it done when having other work done.

Andy S

1992 Porsche 944 S2 Cabrio
1975 Triumph Stag
1974 Alfa Romeo Spider S2