Porsche Enthusiasts Club Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:49 pm
Classic Line Insurance

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: fronts wings off
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:28 pm 

TIPEC membership: 0
I am getting to the end of repairing the scabby bits underneath my 944S and it will soon be able to boast 'there are no holes in my bottom'.
Next on the list are the suspected scabby bits on the bottom rear of both front wings where the paint is bubbling suspiciously.
In addition to the 8 bolts on the top of the wing I believe there are 3 bolts accessible from the wheel arch that go through to the A post area -correct ?
I am assuming these will be rusted in and bug...s to get out.
Any tips from anyone who has removed 944 front wings would be gratefully accepted.
Thanks

Jeff

Post subject: Re: fronts wings off
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:22 pm 

TIPEC membership: 2982
You are correct with what you've said in your post, the 3 bolts down the back edge of the wing are difficult to locate due to them being covered in a very thick sealer. The good news is the sealer will have preserved the & they'll come out easily once found.

The same sealer is used along the top of the inner wings & makes their removal very difficult. I used a sharp paint scraper to slide between the panels & split the sealer. It feels like their still bolted on as the bond is that great, be careful as I've seen wings being kinked or damaged when people pull a bit hard...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:07 pm 

ALZ1933 wrote:
You are correct with what you've said in your post, the 3 bolts down the back edge of the wing are difficult to locate due to them being covered in a very thick sealer. The good news is the sealer will have preserved the & they'll come out easily once found.

The same sealer is used along the top of the inner wings & makes their removal very difficult. I used a sharp paint scraper to slide between the panels & split the sealer. It feels like their still bolted on as the bond is that great, be careful as I've seen wings being kinked or damaged when people pull a bit hard...

Good advice given above, just to add that the sealant is easier to deal with if using some heat, I do recall my body shop using a heat gun to soften the sealant during removal, hope this helps..

regards

Pete

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:37 pm 

thankyou ,that's useful.I will post up how it goes.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:15 am 

TIPEC membership: 7630
jeffreyt wrote:
I am getting to the end of repairing the scabby bits underneath my 944S and it will soon be able to boast 'there are no holes in my bottom'.
Next on the list are the suspected scabby bits on the bottom rear of both front wings where the paint is bubbling suspiciously.
In addition to the 8 bolts on the top of the wing I believe there are 3 bolts accessible from the wheel arch that go through to the A post area -correct ?
I am assuming these will be rusted in and bug...s to get out.
Any tips from anyone who has removed 944 front wings would be gratefully accepted.
Thanks

Jeff

Have you done all of this work yourself? If not can you recommend where you had this done as the underside of mine needs lots of TLC..

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:49 am 

Yes, getting the wings off is a bit of a process! I found that to remove the rubber sealant cleanly, use a small rotary wire brush attachment on your electric drill, it takes the stuff off easily and gets you back to clean metal quite quickly. However, it can be a problem where access is restricted, such as under the wing. Also, ALWAYS use goggles and a mask. Heat does help when you are trying to cut the sealant or scrape it off, but do not use heat if you use a rotary wire brush..it clogs it up a bit :? Good luck!

Black 1987 944S - Gone but not forgotten
Metallic Black 1980 924 - Those were the days....
Red 1979 924
Minerva blue 1979 924

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:41 pm 

jenco,I did the work myself so can't help you with any bodyshop recommendations.
What I would say is that it is not rocket science and my mig welder is the cheapest out there costing just £100 quid and it is ideal for the 1.2 mill sheet that the repair patches were made from.
If you know anyone that could help you with the basics you may want to have a go at doing the work yourself.
Good luck.