Porsche Enthusiasts Club Forum

It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:09 pm
Classic Line Insurance

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: shock absorber 'inserts'
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:42 am 

TIPEC membership: 0
I have been looking into what shocks are available for my 1988 16v 944 and notice that some adverts say 'insert' .
I'm guessing this is the working part of the shock and fits into the hub ( that bolts onto the chassis) .
This assumes the original unit can be dismantled which seems to take a lot for granted after nearly 30 years .
I am also guessing this only applies to the rears as the fronts are MacPherson struts and are replaced as complete units ( please correct me if I'm wrong ).
So my question is are the inserts a straight fit into the original hubs or are we talking about re engineering them to make them fit?
If I can get complete units I would prefer it but I would like to understand all the options.
Thanks for any and all feedback

Jeff

Post subject: Re: shock absorber 'inserts'
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:06 pm 

jeffreyt wrote:
I have been looking into what shocks are available for my 1988 16v 944 and notice that some adverts say 'insert' .
I'm guessing this is the working part of the shock and fits into the hub ( that bolts onto the chassis) .
This assumes the original unit can be dismantled which seems to take a lot for granted after nearly 30 years .
I am also guessing this only applies to the rears as the fronts are MacPherson struts and are replaced as complete units ( please correct me if I'm wrong ).
So my question is are the inserts a straight fit into the original hubs or are we talking about re engineering them to make them fit?
If I can get complete units I would prefer it but I would like to understand all the options.
Thanks for any and all feedback

Jeff

Have a look at this Jeff,

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=22620
R

Post subject: Re: shock absorber 'inserts'
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:39 pm 

Inserts only apply to the front. The rear shocks are a straight swop/upgrade. I am not qualified to mention about a 16v '88 but if the front suspension is similar to the later S2, the inserts would be the way to go.