Porsche Enthusiasts Club Forum

It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:16 am
Classic Line Insurance

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: augmotive / augtronic ecu upgrade
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:25 pm 

TIPEC membership: 0
Just wondered if anyone had experience having there ecu upgrade, or there own fuel injectors.
Dave from there emailed me a while back saying 200bhp from the 2.7 was very achievable using there ecu and racing cams ?

Post subject: Re: augmotive / augtronic ecu upgrade
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:41 pm 

Hmm... I like the product but Tom is too greedy - everything at full price makes it FAR more expensive than VEMS whilst offering...? The cams are. or I believe them to be, Lotus profiles reground by Piper, which they offered me over a decade ago.

I really wanted Augtronic to be viable, but its just too dear and it needs to be offered as a complete package with a more acceptable lump sum price.

1988 944 Turbo - the Pink Pig
1989 944 2.7
1985 944 It's alive!
1986 944 Automatic

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:31 pm 

Jessi wrote:
Just wondered if anyone had experience having there ecu upgrade, or there own fuel injectors.
Dave from there emailed me a while back saying 200bhp from the 2.7 was very achievable using there ecu and racing cams ?

For road or Racing?

I've not seen any power graph on there site so far with this figure?

The injectors were problematic also, unless the issues have been resolved since?

I've recorded 205bhp with a 2.7 all with stock 2.5 Bosch ECU / fuelling / Ignition and a much lower RPM
which is very beneficial for Road use.

R

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:49 pm 

924srr27l wrote:
Jessi wrote:

For road or Racing?

The injectors were problematic also, unless the issues have been resolved since?

I've recorded 205bhp with a 2.7 all with stock 2.5 Bosch ECU / fuelling / Ignition and a much lower RPM

R

Road !!

The older guy ( think it's Dave ) told me 200bhp is very achievable with there ecu and racing cams, I assume the cams his on about are Road legal ?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:16 am 

Jessi wrote:
924srr27l wrote:
Jessi wrote:

For road or Racing?
R

Road !!

The older guy ( think it's Dave ) told me 200bhp is very achievable with there ecu and racing cams, I assume the cams his on about are Road legal ?

Ok so your application is for Road use, mine also and hence I was lucky not to get sucked in to products with the label and tag
"Race" which is so over used and abused with just about every tuning product!

It's not about legalities, you can fit what cam and other tuning products you like. It's the actual usable power and driveability
that is key for a quick road car, you can have 400bhp in a 944 but things like Turbo lag and wheelspin will be an issue and the car will be more difficult to drive nicely on public roads.

If you lookup the Graphs on AA's site you'll see they are revving the motor much higher than a stock one, most of the power is being gained due to the different camshaft profile which is aimed at racers; who are flat out on a circuit which is not the same as a fast classic car on a sunday tackling a VXR coming out the B&Q roundabout !

Take a look at the link (Below) which illustrates the stats of my 2.7 engine with a Mild 274 (Webcam- USA) ported head, internally polished inlet manifold, 944 Turbo tubular exhaust manifold, smaller bore exhaust, and a fully rebuilt blueprinted engine.

No trick ECU's , or different injectors just all stock Bosch and the famous AFM that's apparently restricting! Maybe on a 300bhp+ turbo but it works perfectly on the N/A engines.

You'll see there is good power so much lower down the RPM scale, 190 ft lbs Torque at 2950RPM is especially handy on the road and the car will pull in 3rd gear from 1500rpm very easily. (It is 250-350Kg lighter than a standard 924S-944, obviously this makes a dramatic difference to how a standard car would perform) but higher torque figures will benefit any car than a Race camshaft that needs to be revved higher up the RPM band before anything happens.
(The 944S 2.5 16v is a good example of this compared to a 8v 2.5 944)

http://924srr27l.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/TEch-Spec-924srr27L-.pdf

R

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 12:02 pm 

TIPEC membership: 7372
Yeah but how much did your engine with all the work involved cost compared to the AA route.

I'm not dissing your approach. I would love to do it. But it sounds prohibitively expensive.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 12:27 pm 

That's one company that I will not be using again!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 2:03 pm 

Daves toms dad. Tom can charge whatever he wants, don't really mean he's greedy. They done a lot off work on my car at very fair hourly rate. There really isn't that many turbo left owners are willing to tune anymore sence everyone thinks there become an investment.

400 hp don't have to mean lag at all. You can have more power and less lag then stock. Most the old bolt on packages power comes with the expensive off lag yes.

For a stock n/a really isn't a much to be gained from tuning, nothing that the extra power isn't forgotten and not noticed after 20 mins off driving.

3" fastroad exhaust
80lb injectors
Stage2 intercooler
Apexi ebc.
9xx quick shift/ front shift/fuel pump
M030 brakes/Coilovers/30mm front roll
18" JARA cups 225F/285R

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 2:12 pm 

Bow Runner wrote:
Yeah but how much did your engine with all the work involved cost compared to the AA route.

I'm not dissing your approach. I would love to do it. But it sounds prohibitively expensive.

Good point & question,

Yes my engine is a rare cocktail of 924/951/968 and the cost was not cheap, but you have to spent a lot on normally aspirated engines to get substancial gains.

Would a standard 110K 2.7 engine fitted with a 2.5 LR worked head, 944 honed inlet & 951 Exhaust manifold / bespoke 1 box System, Webcam Camshaft and all 2.5 stock ignition & Fueling perform the same ? No but it would be much better, how much better and would it be worth it? it's all dependant on the owner's desire's and budget.

AA's marketing suggests the stock Bosch ECU / AFM and Fueling & Ignition is restrictive and cannot be tuned, I almost
(like many) read this so many times and believed this hype as it's also frequently quoted in a few magazines...

But my Engine tuner convinced me otherwise and since I've sampled the results which on the performance graphs are greater than any others I've seen produced (so far) including engines fitted with all the latest technology like AA 's components I'm now quite convinced the stock components are more than good enough.

For Normally aspirated engines at least, turbo I'm told are good up to 300bhp? ..it's obvious if your ramming in 50% more fuel and air then the original designed air mass meter then it needs changing accordingly.

I'm sure if I ever go twin cam, throttle bodies and in search of 260bhp+ etc...then a stand alone all singing ECU would extract the last morsel of power potential but I don't think if i''d of spent £2500+ fitting all AA's components would of got me any better power for this engines' current configuration and road use.

And I'm 100% sure I would not swap my impressive low rpm torque and power figures for one that's lower in peak torque and power and has to be revved near to 7000rpm..this may be advantageous on a race circuit but not as good for road use.

R

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 5:51 pm 

944-Scott wrote:
That's one company that I will not be using again!

Bad experience?

1989 944 2.7
1985 944 It's alive!
1986 944 Automatic

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:41 pm 

Absolutely!! I'm not impressed with them at all or their attitude. For now if you want to know more details pm me.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:14 pm 

PMd but it wont send, with an 'unknown' error.

1989 944 2.7
1985 944 It's alive!
1986 944 Automatic

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:19 pm 

Replied :wink: