Porsche Enthusiasts Club Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:22 pm
Classic Line Insurance

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: 924 for drag racing, it may upset the purists.....
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:46 am 

TIPEC membership: 0
Skype ID: B A Kopasz
So now that I had lost the front end metal work, I had loads of room to mount the radiator, intercooler and fuel system, but now needed a way of supporting not only those bits, bit also the wings and bumper. So the wings and bonnet were laid in place (bearing in mind that these were old grotty GRP panels but loads lighter than steel stuff........
[url][URL=http://s154.photobucket.com/user/bruceakop/media/Porsche/IMAG0077_1.jpg.html]Image[/url][/url]
Then the front bumper (944 turbo without the aluminium support bar, so that it would bend enough to fit the 924 turbo badge panel), followed by lots of jiggling about with the alignment before a lightweight space frame could be made from 20mm square tube....[url][URL=http://s154.photobucket.com/user/bruceakop/media/Porsche/IMAG0100_1.jpg.html]Image[/url][/url]
[url][URL=http://s154.photobucket.com/user/bruceakop/media/Porsche/IMAG0101_1.jpg.html]Image[/url][/url]

This could be made very light as all it was doing was supporting the panels, radiator and intercooler, the suspension would be tied into the chassis later on.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:15 pm 

Think that going to need a brace or two on the front suspension

2013 Volvo XC60 D5 brilliant car

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:02 pm 

Don't worry, the suspension will be well braced!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 4:56 pm 

So time to add some strength back to the front end. Since the engine is on solid mounts, I made up a strut brace (3mm thick CDS tube) which also bolted to the engine. This would prevent any flexing of the front suspension mounts. The engine is not only on solid mountings but will also have a rear mount from the bell housing to the chassis, then the gearbox and torque tube will also be on solid mounts at the back of the car. Once the chassis is all tied to the cage there should be no room for any flexing at all.
[url][URL=http://s154.photobucket.com/user/bruceakop/media/Porsche/IMAG0557.jpg.html]Image[/url][/url]

The next bit was done because every time I leaned across the sills to work on the inside of the car, I got sick of the vertical lip digging into my knees ( the bit that join the inner and outer sills together and normally covered by the plastic carpet edging). So off came the lip and it was seam welded up instead.
[urlImage][/url]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 12:08 pm 

Next job to look at was how and where to mount the turbo, since I'm using the Holset as opposed to the standard KKK unit then the manifold won't work so a bit of head scratching was needed. So a non turbo exhaust manifold was acquired (this being a good quality thick cast item was much better than a Chinese tin foil one), and then I made up short adapter to mount the turbo and wastegate to the back of the manifold, which nicely places the whole lot at the right angle but at the expense of the battery tray and the glovebox.[url][URL=http://s154.photobucket.com/user/bruceakop/media/Porsche/IMAG0055_1.jpg.html]Image[/url][/url]
Then with a bit of tidying up and strength added back it started to look a little better.[url][URL=http://s154.photobucket.com/user/bruceakop/media/Porsche/IMAG0577_1.jpg.html]Image[/url][/url]
Followed by some changes to the bulkhead to add all the strength back and to offer some protection to me in the event of the turbo deciding to destroy it's self.[url][URL=http://s154.photobucket.com/user/bruceakop/media/Porsche/IMAG0250.jpg.html]Image[/url][/url]
The metal work that has been put in to make the bulkhead behind the turbo is in 2mm steel to help keep any exploding turbo inside the engine bay and the bellbousing will have a ballistic clutch blanket strapped around it. If the unthinkable does ever happen then at least I should should stay in one piece.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 12:33 pm 

Nothing wrong with considering ones mortality

Keep it coming, following with interest, brill fab work and a lot of lateral thinking, makes a huge change from the 400BHP 944 threads

2013 Volvo XC60 D5 brilliant car

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:36 pm 

looks good, lots of fab work, be interested to see the final product!

will keep an eye on this

nick

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 8:05 pm 

TIPEC membership: 6379
Good job its a left hooker 8)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 8:14 pm 

Thank you for the positive comments, it's just good know that a few of you are interested on it.

Being a left hooker does make the turbo placement easier, had it been a right hand drive car I think I'd have swapped it to left hand drive anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:13 pm 

Slimchance wrote:
Thank you for the positive comments, it's just good know that a few of you are interested on it.

Being a left hooker does make the turbo placement easier, had it been a right hand drive car I think I'd have swapped it to left hand drive anyway.

From my perspective, its a shame a rare early shell is being cut up. However, better to be cut up and used than left in a field to rot. So please do keep the progress updates coming. How is the body going to look at the end? Narrow bodied 'sleeper' or wide bodied? I'd like to see a stock looking narrow body exterior with huge rears tubbed into the rear end.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:17 pm 

A silver 924 narrow bodied of this 8)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:18 pm 

Found it!! This ....

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 12:52 am 

Carrera RSR wrote:
Slimchance wrote:

From my perspective, its a shame a rare early shell is being cut up. However, better to be cut up and used than left in a field to rot. So please do keep the progress updates coming. How is the body going to look at the end? Narrow bodied 'sleeper' or wide bodied? I'd like to see a stock looking narrow body exterior with huge rears tubbed into the rear end.

If I was starting from scratch I'd have chosen to stick with a narrow body, but the shell I had was already fitted with 944 panels (although pretty rough grp ones), so I'm sticking with the wider body. The look I'm hoping for is 944 turbo/S2 but with a 924 badge panel and bonnet, flush fit windows and screen, no rubbing strips or handles and tastefully lowered over a set of genuine Fuchs wheels.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 2:55 pm 

After lots of looking at the rule books and trying to work out whether the original sills could be classed as rocker bars (which I think they could be), I decided to just bite the bullet and add some 50mm square rocker bars just to avoid confusion when it comes to scrutineering. So a trip to the steel suppliers for a couple of 6m lengths of the right tube (which at least proved that the horse box is useful for something other than carrying horses) and a few hours welding left me with this. I also addes some tube for the cross members where the seat and harnesses will mount.[url][URL=http://s154.photobucket.com/user/bruceakop/media/Porsche/IMAG0506_1.jpg.html]Image[/url][/url]

I also needed to make some sort of suitable closing panel to tidy up the area which previously made up the rear seats. This will have an aluminium panel made but needed a framework and lip fabricating to support it.[url][URL=http://s154.photobucket.com/user/bruceakop/media/Porsche/IMAG0504.jpg.html]Image[/url][/url]
Once everything was tacked in place, and a quick check to make sure the shell was still square, then all the floor cross members were welded up properly. Thankfully everything still stayed square which means that I'm nearly in a position to start mocking up the roll cage.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:11 am 

Because work is ridiculously busy at the moment and I've booked loads of extra overtime, I wasn't expecting to get much done, but then the kids were invited to their grandparents for the last week of the holidays. So with them safely delivered across the border (well, Lancashire!) it was time to get the welder back out. I started off with tacking the role cage together but NOT welding it to the mounting plates, this allowed me to slide the plates out from under the cage which meant the cage could be dropped down through the sills and the top tubes welded up. Once the top was welded I lifted the cage back up and welded the mounting plates in place.[url][URL=http://s154.photobucket.com/user/bruceakop/media/Porsche/IMAG0609.jpg.html]Image[/url][/url]
Then the front cross bar was added which also became a good point to mount the steering column[url][URL=http://s154.photobucket.com/user/bruceakop/media/Porsche/IMAG0619_1.jpg.html]Image[/url][/url]
Followed by closing off and tidying up the new bulkhead[url][URL=http://s154.photobucket.com/user/bruceakop/media/Porsche/IMAG0635_1.jpg.html]Image[/url][/url]
[url][URL=http://s154.photobucket.com/user/bruceakop/media/Porsche/IMAG0634.jpg.html]Image[/url][/url]