Porsche Enthusiasts Club Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:30 am
Classic Line Insurance

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: My 1.8T 924 Project! (Pic Heavy!!)
PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:48 pm 

made a plate up today to mount the clutch master cylinder, just need to cut holes in bulkhead weld plate on and plumb.

order the right pulley for the water pump, found the deep dish one people have been using, also ordered a t-piece to hold the original temp sensor in place.

thought id get away with running a small oil filter but it still wont fit, so will have to buy the remote filter kit and move the oil cooler aswell.

got my wiring guy coming in the next few weeks so need to get it bolted in, plumbed and an exhaust on to get it fired up!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:50 pm 

TIPEC membership: 0
Skype ID: B A Kopasz
For your oil filter you can use a short filter but you have to get rid of the oil/water cooler that is bolted to it. If you remove the cooler and then shorten the hollow filter mounting bolt, a small filter will fit. You also avoid the problems of the cooler leaking. I can take a picture of how my filter looks if you use Facebook.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:02 am 

Been busy last few days, got my waterpump pulley sorted and coolant temp t-piece, both work. Also managed to buy a job lot of mocal/samco silicone pipes, Got a box full for £85 and most of it was the sizes I needed. Means the water/boost pipes are nearly finished, just need to buy a shit load of hose clips and a few more metal bends a t-pieces. 6 weeks til the next autocross so time is running out......

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:52 am 

been busy over the past few weeks,

mounted clutch master cyl, and cut bulkhead again for the slave cylinder, its very close to the heater matrix, just need to make a plate to cover and still need to make the pipes and bleed.

Got a transit front pipe and started cutting it up, its 2.5 inch and has a few bends and a flexi, hopefully start welding that up this week.

Boost pipes are nearly done, just need to buy a few metal joiners and a couple of 90degree metal bends, also need to get 2 silicone reducers for the turbo and the maf. Had a really nice alloy TIP made up with 4 take-offs.

Water pipes are now finished bar one pipe.

Wiring! - I've very nearly finished the wiring, I have about 6 wires to solder, fit starter motor and a battery and it should crank!!!! It was a lot easier than I thought, after a few weeks studying AEB to Mk1 Golf guides I got a pinout and set about with a multi-meter. Going to try using some sort of box mounted in the scuttle panel to mount the ECU and wires, possibly even the O.E Passat one, with the hole in the bottom plated. Means the dash can now go back in and I can start making a new centre consol.

Ordered remote oil filter kit today so that's another £100 spent!

Still need to order a cone air filter and then its little bits, so im hopeful that the car could be running the next couple of weeks now!!!!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:10 pm 

So, a few more hours and all my pictures should work again, currently moving them all onto imgur and then editing every post, swapping the pic links.........

Page 1 back up, only 4 more to do! And I have a load of new pics to upload after that so back to normal service!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:26 pm 

So, here is a load of photos from the past few weeks, big shout to Imgur, took me a few hours to transfer it and edit each post but glad I saved all the pics!

Clutch Master Mounting

Sillicone Hoses

Exhaust

Wiring

Clutch Slave - its pretty tight to the heater! bolt on panel to cover, but means I can bleed from the drivers seat!

Turbo Intake Pipe

Others

So itll be back to normal from today with as many updates as I can. Hopefully by looking through the photos people will decided if the swap if for them or not, I know if I knew what I do now i'd probably not have started!!! Cant wait to drive it now though!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:03 am 

TIPEC membership: 0
Great thread. Im doing the same thing over in the states instead of an LS swap. Would you be willing to make another set of motor mounts? one of my few pieces im missing and dont have time for.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:25 pm 

Your probably best making Your Own, mine are made to measure, where I wanted them to be....

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:35 am 

haven't taken many photos lately, will post some up this weekend.

Put the dash back in tonight, finished clutch master and slave which is now plumbed. Tunnel is now covered with a plate that slides in after the heater matrix is fitted and then bolts down at the rear. Means I can remove the plate to bleed the clutch.

So motors nearly ready to go back in, need to get some short sump bolts tomorrow and finish the bellhousing/sump cover plate and I think its ready. Few more wires to connect and pipes to make up and it should fire.

My biggest issues at the minute are fuel pipes which are half done, and money...... I need about £150 I don't have to finish the car, an air filter with a 70mm bore to fit the MAF, and about £100 worth of boost connectors, metal bends and reducers. So until I have the funds I cant finish. 9 days to go until the Autocross, I have a few things for sale so im hopeful!

Looking really good to be finished in the next couple of weeks definitely though!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:14 am 

TIPEC membership: 7406
Good luck, hope you get there with it after all the effort. I know how it feels to be held back by a few parts after putting in hours of effort.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:16 pm 

so big news, motor went back in for the final time this afternoon, by this evening I had it all bolted up and starter wired so tried test crank.

It Cranks!!

few little jobs to finish off now, fuel pump needs remounting and bolting up turbo etc but minor now and definitely on the final stretch. s

sold the bike yesterday and ordered the rest of the parts needed so hopefully it should be running in the next few days. Loads of rain has meant the autocross is probably going to be cancelled which gives me an extra 2 weeks of tweeking and testing if it fires!

:)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:16 am 

link to video of first test crank!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GezhPSjG20o

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:11 pm 

last night was the big night, first fire up.

got everything sorted, oil in the motor, primed it up, plugs and coils on, fuelled it up, starting cranking...... then fired! then dies 2 secs later.......

keep trying for a while then started doing some research. i'd read the pre 2000 stuff didn't have immobiliser, but I'd read it on a US forum, europeon stuff was immobilise up after 96.....

so at least it fires, I've dropped the ecu of a at friend of mines as its an early me5 ecu it has to have the chip removed, read, adjusted, written and solder back on......

Time to get on tidying everything up ready for next week, and hopefully when the ecu comes back it will run...

Pretty happy to be honest though, it fires up so I know everything works now, just need to run it up to temp etc to check for leaks and still need to sort a list of jobs out like finishing the exhaust

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:30 pm 

TIPEC membership: 7406
Good stuff. You might want to check out these guys for some more inspiration
http://www.motorwerksracing.com

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:20 am 

As it stands tonight, trying to get as much done before next sunday as possible and hoping it'll run when the ecu comes back tomorrow!

Had to make a throttle cable out of 2 924 cables , it'll do for now, will have to make one in the future though, also re-routed some boost hoses, a bit tight but will do for getting it running

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next