Porsche Enthusiasts Club Forum

It is currently Tue Jun 04, 2024 3:32 pm
Classic Line Insurance

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Fuel gauge not reading correctly
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 4:20 pm 

TIPEC membership: 0
I ran out of fuel reversing the S out of the garage yesterday and this led me to believe that gauge isn't working correctly and I just want to confirm this with you guys, I'm assuming this fault has been documented before.

The amber (reserve) light has been on for a little while and I have been running the car up to temp a few times testing it to make sure it won't overheat in the real world (I've not driven the car yet since restoring it) but the gauge was still showing over half full.

I removed the sender unit to check I was indeed out of fuel by having a look into the tank and to test the unit. When the sender tube is in its normal upright position (pic 1) with ignition on it shows the tank as just over half full with the reserve light on (pic 2). When the ignition is off the needle drops to 0 as it should.

When I invert the sender tube the gauge on the dash shows full, this made me think that the sender unit is actually working and it's the dash gauge that's at fault. Is this correct as I'd like to get this fixed before putting the car on the road?