Porsche Enthusiasts Club Forum

It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:15 am
Classic Line Insurance

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Under car fuel lines
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 1:03 pm 

TIPEC membership: 7372
Hi all,

I have badly corroded fuel lines under the car which are going to need replacing. I've read all the posts on this topic but they are all years old. Does anyone have any recent experience of this? I certainly don't want to spend out on a full OEM system replacement with a rear axle drop to fit it. That would cost half the value of the car!!

I'm looking for options on partial replacement or fuel replacement using modern flexible lines. I wouldn't be doing this myself so any recommended experts to do this in the Herts area would be useful.

Thanks

Post subject: Re: Under car fuel lines
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 1:59 pm 

TIPEC membership: 0
I went through this last summer on mine and in the end I went for the OEM replacement lines from Porsche. Unless you take the time to make up new hard lines which can be done if you source all of the metric to JIC/AN fittings (typically Porsche uses metric fittings where as the industry standard for hydraulic fittings and hoses is based around imperial), then anything else will probably be a bodge. I've found some terrible examples of this on the web where people have carried out repairs using flexible hoses which I just wouldn't trust.

Porsche lines are expensive yes, but they save you an awful lot of time and faffing around. Plus they are safe and will last 30 years or more, so when you look at it that way they're actually not that bad in terms of value. Do it once, do it right.

This is coming from someone who is normally happy to make my own parts to save money, but after looking in to it I decided it just wasn't worth it. Although I will say the cost is probably easier to justify on a turbo... My bill for all the hard lines and flexis came to just over £400 and they were a doddle to fit, no faffing whatsoever.

You'll probably find the axle may have to come off any way as many of the hoses are difficult to get to and the fittings will very likely to be badly corroded. I'm afraid it's not a nice job which ever way you look at it :cry:

http://www.facebook.com/dickharmanmotorsport

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 4:36 pm 

TIPEC membership: 0
you only need to release the beam one side to get the lines through, I did my 968 in a lockup garage on my own in a couple of days.

I also did the same job on a PCGB members 968 Cab in his front garden, this was the end of last year, the parts came to £226 for all the rear rubber hoses and fuel filter mount (had to be changed due to NLA parts) the two metal hard lines, and all the fixing clips.

so not horrid money and as stated it makes it a proper job,

2013 Volvo XC60 D5 brilliant car

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 7:06 pm 

TIPEC membership: 6841
I had corroded supply and return lines in this area, I cut the lines midway under the body (staggered cut) I took the parts I had cut out to pirtek and they made me Teflon stainless over braided lines, I added 30 cm for routing, I bought some new original clamps and rubbers to secure.

Cost was still around the £200 mark though.

Regards

Mark

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 10:57 pm 

TIPEC membership: 4190
Mine had the rusty bits cut out & replaced with HP rubber hose & double clipped at each end. I worried about it in the early days, but it was fine. I never had to do anything with it in the 5 + years I owned it.

http://tipec.net/region_southeastlondon.php

2018 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV
2005 Porsche Cayenne S Now sold!
2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Now sold!
2010 Mazda MX5 Mk3.5 2.0 Sport Tech
2000 Porsche Boxster S SOLD!
1987 Porsche 944 2.5

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 1:32 am 

TIPEC membership: 7143
I'm in the process of replacing my lines which I've detailed in this thread.... http://forums.tipec.net/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=21004

I looked at alternatives to OPC lines, the main contender being braided flexible lines but after some research into connections to fuel rail and filter/ return the overall cost was well over £200 just for the lines and fittings.

My OPC lines arrived yesterday at £52.16 for the 10mm feed and £40.34 for the 8mm return line. Having removed the old lines by dropping the rear beam, it is also evident that the beam would also need to be dropped to have any chance of getting flexible lines over the beam as the gap is so tight. The clamp hidden behind the beam is also only just accessible if you have the hands of a two year old!

For reasons of sorting other issues on my car, I did go a lot further in dismantling the rear but having tried (and failed) to re-engineer fuel lines more cost effectively, the only conclusion is to just do it as Porsche intended. Speak to Adam at Bolton OPC and he'll help you get sorted with parts.

Hope this helps.

1982 Rothmans 924 2.0 NA - the best livery ever
2004 Mazda MX5 - Silver for everyday
1979 Austin Healey Frogeye - Old English White

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 10:54 am 

TIPEC membership: 6841
My pirtek lines fitted with ease over the rear beam.

Mark

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 3:57 pm 

TIPEC membership: 7143
marks2ply wrote:
My pirtek lines fitted with ease over the rear beam.

Mark

You did well then Mark - it's a really tight space in there :)

I suppose it's whether its worth the additional cost of the lines even though there is a nominal saving in labour.... I've made a further discovery on mine which makes me glad I went the whole hog now even thoughts its painful not being able to drive her!

1982 Rothmans 924 2.0 NA - the best livery ever
2004 Mazda MX5 - Silver for everyday
1979 Austin Healey Frogeye - Old English White