Porsche Enthusiasts Club Forum

It is currently Thu Jun 06, 2024 7:01 pm
Classic Line Insurance

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: 944 S2 supercharging advice.
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:55 am 

TIPEC membership: 4260
wait for tr7v8 to come along, jims in the progress of converting his

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 1:32 am 

TIPEC membership: 0
I'd respectfully suggest you look for a Turbo if that's your plan. You'd not only get a car that could be tuned to supercharged S2 levels much more cheaply, but if you buy a 1989 on (so same age as the oldest S2) you'd get bigger brakes, LSD, thicker drive shafts, strong gearbox, transmission oil cooler, air-con, probably sports leather etc. etc. And it would be worth more than a supercharged S2 if you decide to sell it on.

Peter Empson is also supercharging an S2 engine which he fitted to his Lux track car some time ago. I don't know if he posts here or just on Titanic and PCGB, but I think it's fair to say he's further developing a car he has had for years, as I imagine is Jim. I bet both would say they'd go for a Turbo if they were looking to start out now heading for the same goal.

Of course you might prefer supercharger delivery to turbocharger, which is fair enough, and if it's a big deal to you it might be worth well over twice as much money to go the S2 route, but you will likely have heat rejection issues if you want to use it on track according to what Colin Belton of Ninemeister told me when I spoke to him about it. For a money no object road car I guess it might be the top choice, but otherwise...

2003 Jeep Wrangler with the top off all the time
1996 Jeep Cherokee with "bush stripes"

Oh, and the "Land Glider" 1990 944T that doesn't go and lives 12,000 miles away

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:03 am 

TIPEC membership: 4190
OK, yes I have a project to put a blower on mine, still at the conception stage at present.
My car is an 87 2.5 Lux but will have a 3litre S2 lump & a Vortech Supercharger, LSD box.
My car already has S2 brakes, wheels & PU.

If you're going to go mad then you'll end up upgrading the lot, I'm looking for around 320BHP at 8PSI Boost which looks acheivable & could feasibly be done without an intercooler, but mine will have.

The S2 is quite tight to get a blower in if you intend keeping it 16V, most big (3L) turbos are S2 blocks with 2.7L 8Valve heads.
On mine the inlet manifold is going to have to be cut & shut & the alternator bracket introduced to the milling machine to get enough clearance. Some of the turbo S2 builds have made a hybrid inlet using S2 to head & welded the turbo to it.
I'll run aftermarket ECU & probably Turbo injectors. Not sure whose management yet, possibly mega squirt or Emerald.

Off the shelf only the 9Meister system is available & this was designed for the 968. Some of these are reputed to be putting out circa 400BHP but some have cast doubt on these figures. Peter Empson actually has bought one of these kits to fit.

Strength it looks like what I have will be more than adequate to support 320BHP, would I buy a Turbo? No that wouldn't be a challenge. Also if I was shooting for 400BHP I'd still throw most of it away as it would need upgrade or improvement.

Pics of what it looks like so far are here:- http://www.pbase.com/tr7v8/944_sc_project

Why not a Turbo? Don't want the heat or lag, already been done.

http://tipec.net/region_southeastlondon.php

2018 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV
2005 Porsche Cayenne S Now sold!
2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Now sold!
2010 Mazda MX5 Mk3.5 2.0 Sport Tech
2000 Porsche Boxster S SOLD!
1987 Porsche 944 2.5

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:47 am 

It's a while since I spoke to Colin about his kit. As I recall (figures may be out, but the rest is correct), the yellow 968 ran 420bhp or thereabouts when it was Ninemeister's car, but it was for sale when I was there and had already been detuned to something in the 320-340bhp range. He said he would never sell a customer a car running the 420bhp output as it wouldn't be reliable enough. As I mentioned above he also said it wasn't a good track mod as it had heat rejection issues when driven hard for sustained periods.

I appreciate the engineering challenge and if that's what lights your fire then absolutely it's the thing to do, but I stand by my initial statement that if the point is to buy a 944 and get 300-350bhp out of it then there must be a dozen good reasons to start with a 250 Turbo and none I can think of to start with an S2. Even if you get a good S2 for free it'll end up costing more just to supercharge it than buying and tweaking a Turbo (and you could sell the free S2 to offset costs :lol: )

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:13 pm 

TIPEC membership: 4260
the 9meister 968 car came past me on the M40 going down to PCGB at eynsham a couple of years ago, i wasn't hanging around :wink: and it flew past me

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:11 am 

I hear it's not very impressive on track since they sold it.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 6:53 pm 

TIPEC membership: 666
Fen wrote:
I hear it's not very impressive on track since they sold it.

Here it is in front of me on Youtube 8)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KSnylaMUfs

It was the new owners first trackday in it. Coincidentally a few months later I bought the black wheels that it used to wear from an Ebay auction that turned out to be one of the 9Meister mechanics.