Porsche Enthusiasts Club Forum

It is currently Tue May 07, 2024 1:00 pm
Classic Line Insurance

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Douglas Valley Breakers?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:08 am 

TIPEC membership: 0
john ward wrote:
The original insides are still available from Porsche for £91 inc vat (base only), but only passenger ones are available. To have the job done at Cheshire Interiors in Knutsford - change interior base sponge and keep existing leather - is max £150 including new springs. So £330 max, all done.

I believe I might have had the last ever driver's one (for a Sport seat). Sorry.

You could still use the other side though, the only difference is the cut-out for the buttons and as it's just foam you could cut it yourself. It was a piece of cake to fit it myself.

In terms of DV I haven't used them since about 1995 but my experience was actually OK. I was advised by some idiot OPC guy that my heater was erratic because the electronics were faulty and at £900+VAT new I bought used for half price. Of course the true cause was a fractured clip that cost 32p at the time as I recall, and DV took the part back and refunded the £450 - not many breakers would do that. That said I have used Simon B for the past few years; he is a mate of my indie so I get mates rates by proxy.

2003 Jeep Wrangler with the top off all the time
1996 Jeep Cherokee with "bush stripes"

Oh, and the "Land Glider" 1990 944T that doesn't go and lives 12,000 miles away

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:21 pm 

I've subsequently heard some very bad things from people who say they've been ripped off by Douglas Valley. (Sent wrong parts, or low-quality parts, or damaged goods.) But frankly, before that, I'd emailed the guy there and asked if he had a 4-speed 930 gearbox; he wrote back, saying, "Yes, we have a 915."

"No," I replied, "I asked specifically if you had a 4-speed 930 gearbox; if I'd have wanted a 5-speed 915 'box, I would have asked for a 5-speed 915 'box! (Porsche themselves designed the 4-speed 930 'box because 'Super Carrera' SC's 915 weren't anywhere near strong enough to take the torque!!!")

He then just proceeded to try to talk me around to thinking that the 915 would be good enough, and not to listen to a word I was saying.

Bloke's clearly an idiot.

Last edited by TJ930 on Sat Nov 01, 2008 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:51 pm 

TIPEC membership: 4952
Skype ID: JW590
Weather permitting I am going to take a drive up on Saturday afternoon with my neighbour and his six year old son - who's excited about going out in the back of 'John's sports car' as he calls it.

I'll have a wander round and check out if the beige interior (that I have no interest in) is 'mint' as he put it - just to see what he thinks is 'mint' really, and I'll check out the seats that he said I couldn't buy unless I bought the whole interior.

I'll take my tools just in case there's any bits I think I need. Or if anybody else needs anything sourcing send me a list and I'll see what there is. For example, somebody on here needs some rear hatch latches.

1991 944S2, 222000 miles.
2007 Audi A4 Avant Tdi 140 S-Line
2014 Mercedes SLK 250 AMG
1995 Triumph TR6

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 7:14 am 

And some extra dosh if your like me you see something else(I may need one of these...you never know) :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:53 am 

TIPEC membership: 5218
john ward wrote:
Weather permitting I am going to take a drive up on Saturday afternoon with my neighbour and his six year old son - who's excited about going out in the back of 'John's sports car' as he calls it.

I'll have a wander round and check out if the beige interior (that I have no interest in) is 'mint' as he put it - just to see what he thinks is 'mint' really, and I'll check out the seats that he said I couldn't buy unless I bought the whole interior.

I'll take my tools just in case there's any bits I think I need. Or if anybody else needs anything sourcing send me a list and I'll see what there is. For example, somebody on here needs some rear hatch latches.

If you were to get your hands on some black speaker grilles you'd be a legend ;)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 10:52 am 

john ward wrote:

john, when i went they wouldn't let me into the yard, not sure you'll be able to wander around. prob best to ring and check?

ps, if they do let you in please can you steel me a nearside indicator lens :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 11:01 am 

TIPEC membership: 4190
Scho wrote:
john ward wrote:

john, when i went they wouldn't let me into the yard, not sure you'll be able to wander around. prob best to ring and check?

ps, if they do let you in please can you steel me a nearside indicator lens :lol:

If you're serious I probably have a spare at home as I upgraded mine to white ones.

Not sure what they're like though.

http://tipec.net/region_southeastlondon.php

2018 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV
2005 Porsche Cayenne S Now sold!
2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Now sold!
2010 Mazda MX5 Mk3.5 2.0 Sport Tech
2000 Porsche Boxster S SOLD!
1987 Porsche 944 2.5

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 11:10 am 

tr7v8 wrote:
Scho wrote:
john ward wrote:

If you're serious I probably have a spare at home as I upgraded mine to white ones.

just kidding jim. mines fine :lol:

thanks for the offer!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 11:49 am 

I havent a bad thing to say about dv as personally ive had no problems with them,although i do fidn them better to deal with face to face rather than on the phone. Sometimes they let you in the yard to look at items that are still on the car (i was in the yard a few weeks ago)but you will have to wear a day glow yellow vest !!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 11:50 am 

tr7v8 wrote:
Scho wrote:
john ward wrote:

How much do you want for the orange lenses as one of mine is cracked and the other is glued on due to the screws rusting in place .

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 11:54 am 

random-hero wrote:
tr7v8 wrote:
[quote="Schojohn, when i went they wouldn't let me into the yard, not sure you'll be able to wander around. prob best to ring and check?

How much do you want for the orange lenses as one of mine is cracked and the other is glued on due to the screws rusting in place .[/quote]

Just the postage TBH, one of mine isn't fantastic, but the other one is good. Not sure which until this evening as currently in Helsinki!
I'll have a look tonight & if I get time tomorrow box 'em up & post. PM me your snail mail address to post it to.

1987 Porsche 944 2.5

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 2:41 pm 

Did you get my pm ??

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 4:45 pm 

random-hero wrote:
Did you get my pm ??

Yup was in Helsinki airport on 3G so pants connection speed. Will have a look tomorrow & post out Monday if I find them.

1987 Porsche 944 2.5

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 7:06 pm 

David, I'm afraid my misses left the camera at her mates house and I can't work out how to email a pic from my phone?! The tear is smaller in length than a 2p piece and only say 2mm wide. There is a smaller, less noticeable scatch (becoming a tear) just above it. Other than that, they are both in great nick. The only other issue is the drivers front height adjust is not working - maybe just a loose connection. Are you still interested 'cos I'm definately looking to sell. I can get some pics for you sometime or you're welcome to come look?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:55 pm 

BB, sorry I missed this reply.
I had really hoped for some heated ones and since I don't actually need seats I suppose I ought to say no.
I'm assuming you will put them in the classifieds here or on PCGB so I'll keep an eye out.