Porsche Enthusiasts Club Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:28 pm
Classic Line Insurance

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Aircon retrofit
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:37 pm 

TIPEC membership: 0
Well I may be mad but I'm thinking of putting aircon into my 944S!
Before I go on I should say I'm an automotive air conditioning tech, what I'm thinking is a 944 condenser and evaporator, any kind of compressor thats R134a compatible and get the lines made up. In theory doable but my main question is... Do our cars come pre wired for the system?
If I pull this off I'll document it and post it.

Anyway cheers the any heads up.

Post subject: Re: Aircon retrofit
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:59 pm 

its done in the usa a bit more I guess due to the higher temps, have a look at this, it shows r12 to r134 conversion but has a lot of the parts you need:

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche- ... r134a.html

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:46 pm 

Now don't hold me to this coz I've only owned a porsche for a few weeks , but in my experience of working on cars ( about 25 years ) one wiring loom fits all,it's not cost effective to make different wiring looms for different models you should have the necessary wireing in place but I could be wrong?.im currently building a fisher fury kit car and I use a company in kent for a lot of my parts and they are called car builder solutions and they have everything you need for your own custom built aircon systems

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 6:35 pm 

I'd be interested to hear how you get on with this.

My Turbo has the original aircon, but typically it doesn't work, so would be interesting to find out more about what is needed to run the system on a modern gas.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:52 pm 

I'd pay you to do this so my 944s2!!!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:56 pm 

Just recommissioned my a/c on the turbo. New condenser and drier. To convert to r134a you need to purge the system completely then refill with ester oil and r134a. I have icy cold air now. No need to change seals or o rings. Cost me 30 quid for a drier, picked up a nearly new condenser from Ken and then my mate took 30 quid to test, purge then fill with ester and r134a. Been working a treat ever since.

Stuart

Promax L2 chips, SciVision MAF, Lindsey DPW, MBC, Forge recirc valve, 3 bar FPR, K&N panel, GAZ Gold, wideband AFR, Sytec Motorsport Fuel Pump.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:31 pm 

TIPEC membership: 6177
Duncan

I don't think you are mad... is will be a good project that with your expertise could be easy enough. let us know what you find out along the way and you might find some of us will be keen to follow your lead.

Cheers and best luck Rob

1992 944 S2
1988 924S

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 11:59 am 

Skype ID: Ashleykmoore
Just so you know, Ive got a large bottle of r12 available. And the manifold to operate it.

Talk to me.

My 944 lux has no air but I'm wanting to retrofit an installation.

Any ideas anyone?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 12:55 pm 

TIPEC membership: 4190
Eltel wrote:
Now don't hold me to this coz I've only owned a porsche for a few weeks , but in my experience of working on cars ( about 25 years ) one wiring loom fits all,it's not cost effective to make different wiring looms for different models you should have the necessary wireing in place but I could be wrong?.im currently building a fisher fury kit car and I use a company in kent for a lot of my parts and they are called car builder solutions and they have everything you need for your own custom built aircon systems

I investigated putting A/C in my 2.5 NA 87 when I had it. I had conversations with quite a few people & the consensus was that the wiring wouldn't be there. Quite a few guys strip A/C out when setting up for track days & race cars so the big bits will probably be available. The loom wil have to be made & I expect some pipe work will have to be recreated because of wear & damage.
I use a company in Kent called http://aircondirectkent.eu/home/3757643 Aircon Direct. They sorted the wife's Eunos A/C out. Sounds trivial but the condenser is NLA from Mazda & they had to put in a universal one & rework all the pipe ends.

http://tipec.net/region_southeastlondon.php

2018 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV
2005 Porsche Cayenne S Now sold!
2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Now sold!
2010 Mazda MX5 Mk3.5 2.0 Sport Tech
2000 Porsche Boxster S SOLD!
1987 Porsche 944 2.5

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 6:14 pm 

TIPEC membership: 6926
Gassed mine up today
New everything compressor,condenser, drier and pipe work .......coolcar.com gassed for me and it works supercold ........just need to get the rest of the car finished :D

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 8:39 am 

TIPEC membership: 7586
This is something I've considered for my car. I've no idea where to start so I'd be interested in hearing more if you do it.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 2:04 pm 

I'm definitely interested in the outcome as very keen to buy an S2 but finding it extremely difficult as so many have no AC!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 8:55 pm 

I have air con fitted to my S2 as standard - never used it - well not quite true - the standard compressor is quite weak and never delivers much to be able a continious A/C. If the sytem is gassed properly, it should work well but a retro fit - ?

Dave
Cape Town

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 7:53 pm 

Gosh - I'm amazed at the desire to have air conditioning in a 944 from everyone on here! I guess I'm a luddite 'cos I've never owned a car with Air Con but I'd suggest that the windows open for a reason .... :)

Oli.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 11:15 am 

TIPEC membership: 4635
zcacogp wrote:
Gosh - I'm amazed at the desire to have air conditioning in a 944 from everyone on here! I guess I'm a luddite 'cos I've never owned a car with Air Con but I'd suggest that the windows open for a reason .... :)

Oli.

On a hot day - and we hope for hot days for shows/events - a car with roof and no air con is a sweaty and unpleasant place. Opening a window just lets in more hot air. If you take your car to events in Europe the situation is more critical - temps at Le Mans classic this year reached into the 40s!

I'm spoilt by excellent icy air con in 928, but without it ownership in summer would be unpleasant - so much glass!