Porsche Enthusiasts Club Forum

It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:03 am
Classic Line Insurance

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: The Porsche 944 turbo EFR 7064 project
PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 6:39 pm 

TIPEC membership: 0
Hi jmj951,
Thanks for your interest in the project, the car is on the road and I'm now using it a bit. The turbo makes for a great road car its got a pretty low boost threshold in 5th you get 1 bar at about 2500-2600 and above 3000rpm response is very quick above 4000rpm its pretty much instant and it doesn't get strangled above 6000 rpm anymore its very free revving and sounds mental with the open wastage's :D .
I think the best thing for me to do is get a few videos as they will portray the response most accurately. I will do this as soon as I get a chance and the weather improves a bit.
I will probably dyno the engine at some point maybe laster in the year but not for big power as I really don't fancy my engine falling apart at this stage.
Regards
Robert

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:25 am 

really enjoyed reading about this. I've heard so many good things about efr turbo's.

I look forward to updates, thanks for sharing your progress

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 6:17 pm 

Update
I have never got round to doing any videos of my car and the turbo response, this is partly as I've been occupied at other more interesting/ important things and also due to the fact videoing this car on the road with its current level of performance may not be wise. So I am going to postpone that idea until I get to a track or dyno.

However I have been doing a few things that may be interesting. I have been expanding the capabilities of Augtronic on my car and am now running throttle and RPM based boost control which are working very well and I find makes the car much nicer to try and control.

I also have installed a turbo speed sensor which I am also logging through the ECU which means I am now able to put a fairly accurate number on how much power the car is producing based on the air going through the turbo.

Here is an EFR matchbot that is based upon data from logs. EFR Matchbot 7064

This log shows the throttle based boost control in operation as I struggle to get traction in 1st.

This log shows a 2nd, 3rd and some of 4th gear. As can be seen from the acceleration values the car pulls very consistently to 6800rpm.
In this log the AFR's are a bit rich, I now have it running between 11 - 11.5 AFR. Interestingly it feels quite a bit quicker with AFRs around 11. The external ADC is the turbo speed and is a fraction of 5v, it tops out at 6400rpm and is doing 112,000rpm at that point.
On the response the turbo only looses around 30,000rpm during a gear change and from throttle open to 2200mbars absolute is 300ms which interestingly is around the time it takes for a humans eye to blink :D

At this stage I think the engine is at the limit of it internals. I only have two things I'd like to do to the current engine which are to try a few things to smooth out the boost curve a bit and also I am in the process of upgrading to a better ignition system to improve engine efficiency.

I will update the progress on my new engine in due course.

Regards,
Rob

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 11:56 am 

Hi Rob, looking forward to seeing the new engine with the ITB's. I will be interested how those conrods work out as I am considering using some eagle Mitsubishi rods on that 968 crank with the scored bearing surface on a new engine build.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 9:06 pm 

sgl1966 wrote:
looking forward to seeing the new engine with the ITB's. I will be interested how those conrods work out as I am considering using some eagle Mitsubishi rods on that 968 crank with the scored bearing surface on a new engine build.

I'm also looking forward to the ITB manifold. Ive been getting inspiration from here.

I think the conrods have a number of key advantages. My JE pistons have been made so I will post up pictures soon for your technical viewing pleasure but they only weight 425 grams. That is due to the 6mm higher pin and some other technical advantages.