Porsche Enthusiasts Club Forum

It is currently Wed May 22, 2024 10:35 am
Classic Line Insurance

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 286 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next
 Post subject: Re: Porsche 924 Turbo race car project
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 10:22 pm 

TIPEC membership: 0
Bit of progress with this. Rear end components pretty much all here ready for rebuild.

All the rear beam parts have been blasted and powder coated. Rear ally parts vapor blasted. New wheel bearings. Black series bushes throughout. Aluminium solid beam mounts. Gearbox hanger also coated.

Rear hubs changed for early offset items.

996 turbo rear brembo calipers and adaptors.

993 turbo rear discs

Should get to build the rear up next week. Wheel adaptors are also being machined ATM so will be able to bolt wheels up and get it rolling.

Can't wait to post pics of how the car is going to look once body and wheel specs are all sorted.

Decided will likely be running kW race type coilovers too

Also picked up a 2.5 16v engine which will likely end up as powerplant for the car (with a turbo strapped to it) so will soon be starting the engine build and custom exhaust and inlet manifold etc

Starting to see the light on this now

Pictures coming soon

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 7:10 am 

Got the hubs on already!?.. Sounds like it's coming together now, looking forward to having a good look around this when I drop my car to you 8)

The KW race sus does look the nuts. I notice AST now offer a full range for our cars too... Lots of choice at that level of kit!

http://www.facebook.com/dickharmanmotorsport

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 11:56 am 

not fitted yet, waiting for trailing arms to return from vapor blasting. they will be back monday, then i can press in new bearings and try the hubs for size!

not had a look at ast, will take a look at that to compare to the kw kit.

regards

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:30 pm 

Ready to start rebuilding the rear beam/suspension and rear brakes now.

Will post pics up as it goes back together

Can't wait to get it back on the ground!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 6:53 pm 

bit more progess today. received the brake caliper adaptors. so had a quick blast at getting the 996 turbo rear brembo calipers set up correctly, along with the 993 turbo 322x28mm rear drilled discs.

i pressed in a new bearing into the freshly vapor blasted rear trailing ally arms, then fitted early offset hubs which help me fit the wide low offset wheels into the rear arches.

this then meant i had to fit discs with shallow bells to position the disc correctly in the centre of the calipers.

993 turbo items are around 30mm shallower than 944 rear discs, and early hubs are around the same in comparison to late hubs, so in theory the disc ends up around the same centre point

9products 996 caliper adaptors were used, which are made to run with 350mm discs. so when you offer them up with the 322mm discs, the calipers sit high and so pad is not in full contact with disc.

i milled 12mm off the mounting face of the 996 turbo calipers, and 2mm off the face of the caliper brackets, which dropped the caliper 14mm and almost perfectly in place for full pad to disc contact area.

the adaptor just needed 2.5mm spacer behind it to position the caliper perfectly central over the disc. so everything worked out very nicely there!

rear brakes, all sorted and mounted on trailing arms.

fitted polybush black series into trailing arm and beam mounts.

complete rear beam is ready to be assembled now. everything is powdercoated and ally items vapour blasted.

just need to order new fixings for everything as the rusty old bolts let it all down a bit!

rear wheels are arriving tommorrow, along with some wide used slicks to get it rolling.

wheel spacers also arrived, front hub needed slight modification to allow the spacer to sit over the hub correctly. just needed to machine approx 8mm from the centre spigot area to allow the spacer to sit down flush onto disc, and still has 8mm of contact centering the spacer on the hub.

also managed to spot a bargain on ebay for some lightly used gaz gold coilovers with remote resevoirs and 2 way adjustment, so that saved a few quid over new kw items! just need to order front top mounts to get them mounted and the shell rolling.

these parts will allow me to drop the car onto the ground, check everything fits correctly and wheels are correct fitment to body etc. we will then start to collect bits for the front end build up. i will be making custom tube subframe and tube adjustable lower arms. so will make jigs and start on that soon. currently have std subframe and arms etc to offer up and get shell rolling.

the aim is to get the shell fab complete, and the chassis sorted/rolling with brakes etc within the next 3 months, then for paint.

then starts the engine build!

i have a 2.5 16v 944s engine ready to convert to turbocharged item

i will also be making a full removable tube frame front end from turrets forward, which will mount all the important bits such as rad/intercooler/wings/bonnet pins/bumper etc, and will all be removable within 10 mins.

lots of words and no pics i know!

but will be uploading lots of pics/updates in coming weeks as the parts start to come together and the car is dropped onto the ground to get a feel for the look and fit of everything

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 6:43 pm 

nearly got everything to build the rear end back up now.

spent some time on PET earlier getting all the new nuts/bolts/washers etc sorted, so i will have everything ready to rebuild the whole rear suspension/beam setup.

once thats on i can fit the remote resevoir GAZ gold coilovers and get the car sat on the ground with the new wheels etc to get an idea of how it looks.

i then have more fabrication plans for the front and rear of the car to start!

will have pic heavy post soon, just want to get the rear end built up

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 7:56 pm 

then paint it Sapphire Blue :D

2013 Volvo XC60 D5 brilliant car

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:33 pm 

whats sapphire blue look like? not sure if i've seen that colour before.

With regards to powerflex, there was a good video on youtube showing powerflex vs superflex and the quality of superflex was better, i've not seen the black version yet to know if they've improved them since the original purple one's (i've had loads for projects before and only found one issue which was putting the rear wishbones on my urq, couldn't fit them with the plastic spacers)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 2:01 pm 

Sapphire Blue

2013 Volvo XC60 D5 brilliant car

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 7:35 pm 

Wow!
You are a craftsman and a half, this is better than any of the works cars I have seen, and probably stronger!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 10:52 pm 

Thanks, it should be pretty special!

I have some serious plans for the front and rear of the chassis, and most likely going to make new front floorpans and chassis rails too.

Just need to find more time!

All fixings for the rear are ordered and should b with me mid week from Porsche.

Cab then get the rear built up and sit the car on ground which I'm really looking forward to!

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 11:48 am 

Hi nicksonmsport, I am new here and quite impressed by your work.

Just a question concerning the starting point of your work - what size of tires and rims (cookies) did the car have on the first photos - lock awesome and I think about adding some to my Porsche 924S (in know, they are not allowed to be to wide, that's why I am asking).

Thanks, best regards and hope your project finished as well as it started

Florian

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 4:12 pm 

been very short on pics i know, so heres a few to keep u interested.

mainly been collecting parts, and refurbishing items ready to get the shell rolling to check fitments etc.

rear end is all ready to put together, went to refit today, but been supplied the wrong spring plate bushes! so that put an end to that!

rear brakes are 996 turbo calipers with 9products adaptors, along with 993 turbo rear discs which have the correct offset to work with early offset hubs im using to narrow the rear track due to huge wheels.

calipers needed around 11mm machined off the mount lugs to drop calipers with the smaller 993 discs, and i also had to do a bit of custom machine work to get them exactly central on the disc centre.

found some remote resevoir gaz golds, and then bought some new camber adjustable top mounts to suit.

looking forward to getting the rear end built ready to test the look of the car on the ground with new wheels

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 6:46 pm 

the replacement 9products spring plate bushes arrived, so got to work building the rear end up.

at first attempt the spring plate bushes installed, the trailing arm/spring plate was so tight, that there was literally no suspension movement!

emailed 9 products who stated that the bushes were sort of generic, and on some years, the bushes would be oversize and require modification! lucky machinist on site took around 4mm off the face of the bush where it sits against the weld on the spring plate, and now all done up and in place but with nice up and down movement!

rear beam is now bolted to the car, and ready to offer up the wheels to check fitment so i can have correct spacers made. once thats done its ready to bolt up the coilovers all round, and drop on the floor for a rolling shell pic! cant wait

pics coming soon

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 1:08 pm 

Good progress, although these things are never simple... Annoying as I bet those bushes aren't cheap!!

http://www.facebook.com/dickharmanmotorsport

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 286 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next