TIPEC

The TIPEC Forum
It is currently Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:47 am
Asset Trust

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2451 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 160, 161, 162, 163, 164
 Post subject: Re: What did you do to your 924/944/968 today?
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:54 pm 

TIPEC membership: 8169
Ooh, link please.

I ground 2 over sized washers on each side to slot into the screw apertures where it had disintegrated and then the screws clamped it down sufficiently.
But a new one would be good.

Hens tooth: I need 1 tiny circlip (ideally) for the n/s hatch lever rod. Any ideas?
Also: Those black plastic pins with the centre pin hat hold the lining of the sunroof in place...?

Yesterday, I received two hatch levers and 2 newish receptacles for the sun roof levers. Then set up the rear hatch to open properly. Took a bit of faffing with the rod barrel adjusters and swapped the release cable from the older 2.5 - funny, there was at least 10mm more thread on that adjuster. This was enough to pull the levers wide enough to release the pins. Had to swap the newish pins for the older one's - it would not release them.

Sunroof and hatch all working properly. I'm chuffed.

Today has been mowstly grinding the wiper motor screws out as my replacement wiper assembly should be arriving soon. It comes without motor and i'll have fun setting the replacement up with 2 new connecting rods. However, I have a power pack and shall clamp it to my vice and go from there.
Also changed Crank shaft sensor and she's starting and running really sweetly.
Sun's pooped out. Dying for spin (no wipers, better not rain).

Must fix the puncture on my daughters bicycle to keep the peace.

Fun - 944 2,7 Lux '89 acquired Nov '17, needing less TLC than when I bought it.
Everyday - Merc C220 '95, Elegance, almost mint
Work - Fraud Transit van, skip, bus...
944 C Reg 2.5 n/a, breaking for spares. PM me if you need bits.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:31 pm 

TIPEC membership: 6602
Rose Passion:- https://www.rosepassion.com/en/sel
Cheaper and quicker delivery than Design 911. Frazerpart also very good but their web site is a bit clunky. I use a few American suppliers but post and tax can sting.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:32 pm 

TIPEC membership: 0
They buy them from Porsche at a discount then add a bit for them plus post, 90% of the time it’s cheaper just to go direct to Porsche

And refunds and returns are so much easier

The little wire clip off a gas strut, I bet I have a few of those, and I also have a few of the flat clips

The plastic push rivets can be bought from Porsche

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:40 pm 

Endoman wrote:
Rose Passion:- https://www.rosepassion.com/en/sel
Cheaper and quicker delivery than Design 911. Frazerpart also very good but their web site is a bit clunky. I use a few American suppliers but post and tax can sting.

I got about 12 fuel line clips with the nylon screws and mounting rubbers, 2 sunroof arm receptacles (which were virtually new) and the rear hatch levers from 944 reanmiation in the US.
Oh and the rear hatch pin seals from only 944, also US.
I paid £14.20 handling fee and VAT! No import duty on the seals. Can't work that one out.
The stuff from 944 reanimation came to $200 dollars but no import duty or handling fee or VAT. Can't work that one out either.
All in £198.

Far cheaper than what you would pay over here.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:41 am 

TIPEC membership: 0
Nothing technical, but first MOT with zero advisories :)

Looks a bit lop sided there... I didn't think I sat that heavy in the driver's seat!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:25 am 

Took the old fuel lines off yesterday.

Point of note: Despite a new con rod (short side) and the acquisition of a replacement wiper assembly with a crank lever ball end in very good condition, the con rod kept popping off.
Somewhat disgruntled, as the solution was a drilling or a clip and at the very least removal of the heater cover/blower motor etc to extract it (again), I had a think*. *Sometimes this works.

I noticed that the resistance of the wiper was such that the crank was turning in the wiper arm but the wiper arm wasn't moving! Eeek.
So I figured that I must address this resistance issue.
First was the observation that the splines inside the wiper arm have become worn over time, plus the splines on the crank lever are worn too. That means that the wiper arm is sitting physically deeper on the lever, to the point where it was rubbing on the big capping washer.

The solution: I ground the 22mm locking nut to a half of it's original thickness to guarantee that the arm was not sitting on it. Next was to remove the crank lever. The shim that sits on the base of the lever was very very thin. So I added another shim to make sure that when it was all clamped in, the lever wasn't pulling up against the wiper mounting frame and thus adding resistance.
Greased it all up and re-mounted the wiper assembly.

A 3rd issue was the big round rubber washer/seal and the metal cap was not sitting on the threaded protrusion properly (there was no locking nut on this side when I originally took it all apart). This was due to some over zealous windscreen fitter using too much sealant at some point in the cars life when the screen had been replaced.
I carved some sealant out and I also snipped a 1/16th of rubber off the top of the rubber washer. It seats (almost) properly but sufficiently to clear the wiper arm.

Now it all works beautifully.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2451 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 160, 161, 162, 163, 164