Porsche Enthusiasts Club Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:49 am
Classic Line Insurance

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2969 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 151, 152, 153, 154, 155, 156, 157 ... 198  Next
 Post subject: Re: What did you do to your 924/944/968 today?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:20 am 

TIPEC membership: 0
kashurst wrote:
pretty sure you can unbolt the sensor mounting bracket, then you can get the sensor and bracket on a workbench. You are right no crank signal no nothing.

From the Pet pictures you might well be right, the bracket comes off

2013 Volvo XC60 D5 brilliant car

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:25 pm 

No11 is the dowel, the cap head bolt passes through it.

If you look at this Ebay bracket you can see the dowel pin, the bracket is much shorter than the 944 item so you are probably right it will come off.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/252056184342

Cheers, Paul

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:50 pm 

blimey, how long is that holder, no wonder it wont come out

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:11 pm 

TIPEC membership: 7143
RUDDY wrote:
No11 is the dowel, the cap head bolt passes through it.

If you look at this Ebay bracket you can see the dowel pin, the bracket is much shorter than the 944 item so you are probably right it will come off.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/252056184342

Cheers, Paul

Thanks Paul! I know why they're selling it with the bracket - 'cos it wont come off - ever :lol:

My back felt broken after spending all that time leaning over the front wing last week and the only other way to get access (in fact much better access) was this....

Knees on the top edge of the bumper and literally lie along the top of the cam cover.... hey its unorthodox but what a difference it made to getting a decent reach into the hell hole that is the back of the bell housing!

The only way this sensor is coming out is as part of the housing that is clamped to the bell housing held on by two 6mm allen bolts. Getting tools into the space and having enough room for leverage was tricky at best. Short tools fit nicely but I couldn't get any where enough force on them to undo the bolts.... my long bars are 1/2" but there is no room to get such large bits and bars into place and the movement for them to lever isn't enough. Contraption number 1 to the rescue...

6mm allen key then long 6mm 1/4" drive bit with extension bar into 1/2" drive and extension. It would have been much easier with a couple of 1/4" extension bars but alas...

You can see just how little room there is to lever given the main loom is in the way where it exits the fuse box against the bulkhead...

After a few attempts the first one 'cracked' free. The second one is more open so I tried a 1/2" drive bit but still couldn't get my bar onto it....

Back to contraption number 1 again but there just wasn't enough space for the top end of the bar to move to give enough pressure to break this one free...

Contraption number 2 then... 1/2" drive 6mm allen bit with 1/2" knuckle to my extension bar....

Bolts out and its then a case of levering the housing off. There is a dowel type aspect to the lower bolt hole so this side needs to be prized out first to get the housing clear of the bell housing. You can just see it in this pic.

A few of the tools used today....

and you must have one of these!! There are far too many nooks and crannies for bits and tools to drop into....

Its off the car and a simple job to get the sensor out of the housing.... NOT!!!

No amount of "persuasion" - hammers, clamps, vice.... nothing would get it moving... so I took it to the local garage where they pressed it out on their 50T hydraulic press...

There is a shoulder half way down the housing - presumably to seat a rubber O ring that it integral to the new sensor....

The inside of the opening was pretty rough so a bit of metal polish smoothed it out a touch

Then some copper grease on the top plastic part of the new sensor - I didn't coat the inside of the housing as I didn't want to get any copper on the metal part of the sensor just in case that caused an issue creating an electrical circuit against the housing at all...

and it slips nicley into place....

Now all I need to do is put everything back together and hope this was the cause of all my starting and rough running issues :? wish me luck!!

1982 Rothmans 924 2.0 NA - the best livery ever
2004 Mazda MX5 - Silver for everyday
1979 Austin Healey Frogeye - Old English White

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:11 pm 

I for one will feel really bad if it is not the solution....................

as mentioned on the other forum, the gap needs to be pretty precise

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:37 pm 

Thanks Martin :D I have been warned not to get it too close otherwise the flywheel chews the end of the sensor off :shock: which wouldn't be good :lol:

My plan was to use the mark left on the housing by the left hand bolt to basically refit it in the same position as it was originally in... All the best laid plans though may not come to fruition... Watch this space!

I know it's not a precision diagnosis when we're getting ideas on a forum.... but if it's not the sensor, it's one less thing to have to do in the future and one more possible cause crossed off the list :D every day is a school day :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:21 pm 

Refitting is so much easier than taking the old one off!

Copper slip on each of the bolts and also the collar on the housing should avoid the grief I've had on any future wrestles with the sensor!

The two bolts are different lengths... the top on goes through the one with the collar in it, the shorter one through the elongated hole that allows for the adjustment...

Make sure you tape over all those holes in the bell housing before you start and DO NOT let go of either bolt until you are absolutely sure it is starting to screw in the threads... any slip could see the bolt or an allen key heading into the bell housing.... if unsure, take it out, get a proper grip and start again! Incidentally, the yellow duct tape I used help massively in highlighting the area being worked in and reflected my torch light around the area well - I can highly recommend it!

All back together and all connections done up again - vacuum, fuel pump, crank sensor....

...and nothing.... it seem Houston still has a problem....

My DME relay buzzes (ignition on or not) - it was buzzing when I came to the car today - not sure if this is due to the battery being low on charge....

When cranking I am getting a good reading on the tacho so the crank sensor is picking up the pulses but its not firing up at all... At one point Pos II on the ignition gave this:

I tried my alternative DME relay and that also buzzed.... So, what could cause the DME relay to buzz? Really puzzled now... think it might be time for a call to the Auto Electrician.... :? :evil: :?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:39 pm 

TIPEC membership: 7133
Hi Blackadder,

sorry that didn't solve it after all the hard work.

Cant say these are solid suggestions but:

Try "jumping" the DME with a wire and see if it starts?
Have you got any alarm/immoboliser present that could be fouling things up?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:37 pm 

IanK wrote:
Hi Blackadder,

sorry that didn't solve it after all the hard work.

Cant say these are solid suggestions but:

Try "jumping" the DME with a wire and see if it starts?
Have you got any alarm/immoboliser present that could be fouling things up?

Cheers Ian,
Immobiliser does work - its the Toad AI16 which switches everything on properly when the button is pressed - I check this by turning the key to Pos II which shows nothing when the immobiliser is active, pressing the button on the key fob then gives me all the normal lights at Pos II and engine cranking at Pos III you would expect. Yes tried jumping the DME but my jumper wires may need redoing so I'll give that another go in the morning.

I am thinking I have fuel as I an smell it - my thoughts are that its sparks that I'm lacking.... but I could be wrong :|

I'll get the jumper leads remade and will try it again :)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:55 pm 

A few more stabs at this again today:

First update from 2:30 this afternoon....

Been out for about half an hour - plugged DME relay back in - no buzzing... could just have been low voltage on the battery. There is 12v at No30 whether Ignition is on or off, key in or no key.... but using the jumper wires instead of the DME relay just to be certain it isn't the relay and she did try to cough into life a couple of times.... but didn't quite get there.

The tacho is all over the place when cranking - sometimes not a lot, next 3k to 4k rpm, then 2k rpm... Checked the resistance on the crank sensor - I believe it should be between 800 and 1000 ohms between the centre pin and the out pin(s) - I'm getting 840 ohms on one but no reading on the other...

I'm thinking it could be the gap from the sensor to the flywheel either that or the brand new sensor I have is a duff one...

I've just come inside for a closer look at my pre-dismantle pictures to check the original position the fitting was in to double check the position....

Another at 3:30...

Got myself comfortable again on the top of the engine... bubble wrap is great!

My new DME jumper cables worked a treat...

Adjusted the gap for the sensor from the flywheel and I'm now getting a consistent reading on the tacho when cracking, but its definitely missing a spark...

https://youtu.be/-Y9ds3rbdh8

and around 5:30...

So, a little time spent removing all the spark plugs and giving them a clean up - they were soaked in fuel.... and to test the sparks again on them all:

https://youtu.be/qB0YecAGGEA

We do actually have sparks here but they do seem very weak indeed.... Putting it all back together and turning over she does try to fire but fails to get going... really thinking sparks are the issue now so should be looking at new coil pack and possibly HT leads now...

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:20 pm 

TIPEC membership: 5225
In your photo why is the Tacho redlining at 8k RPM?
If your spark is weak , have you checked the rotor arm and distributor cap?Sorry if it's blindingly obvious , but that's where I would start.

Toby

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:28 pm 

TIPEC membership: 5225
Another random thought , is the earth strap to the engine good?Just thinking you may have disturbed it when you were playing with the crank sensor.Might be worth just earthing the engine with a jump lead to the body of the car to rule that option out.

Toby

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:36 am 

Tabman wrote:
In your photo why is the Tacho redlining at 8k RPM?
If your spark is weak , have you checked the rotor arm and distributor cap?Sorry if it's blindingly obvious , but that's where I would start.

Toby

Indeed Toby, that confused me as well! I've since altered the gap between the sensor and the flywheel which seems to have sorted that particular issue...

Great suggestion although the dizzy and rotor were both new in May this year...

Tabman wrote:
Another random thought , is the earth strap to the engine good?Just thinking you may have disturbed it when you were playing with the crank sensor.Might be worth just earthing the engine with a jump lead to the body of the car to rule that option out.

Toby

Another good suggestion on the earth strap, will give that a try in the morning... Could certain,y be the simplest of things... Here's hoping!

Thanks again for the ideas, most welcome :D

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:51 pm 

TIPEC membership: 7868
Fitted the replacement light bulb to the light switch. Totally underwhelmed with the result but at least it’s working ( not that you can really tell!)

Collected the powder coated cam cover. Just my luck to have one of the worst Porsche cam covers they have ever had for porosity and resultant gas pocket issues. Apparently Ferrari parts are worse! Still, it looks better than the creamy yellow item that is currently in place.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:22 pm 

51rider wrote:
Collected the powder coated cam cover. Just my luck to have one of the worst Porsche cam covers they have ever had for porosity and resultant gas pocket issues. Apparently Ferrari parts are worse! Still, it looks better than the creamy yellow item that is currently in place.

It's because it's magnesium and the metal properties have bigger honeycomb holes compared to aluminium, It's also dependant if they chemically stripped
and / or shot blasted it ? also did they pre heat to 200degs, or just coat it cold etc..etc.. all of these factors will help or worsen the possibility of the coating
to bubble when heated and cured.... Lastly are they are industrial powdercoaters? if so this powder is cheap and thick and doesn't flow as nice as the expensive stuff.

R

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2969 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 151, 152, 153, 154, 155, 156, 157 ... 198  Next