Porsche Enthusiasts Club Forum

It is currently Wed May 15, 2024 6:56 am
Classic Line Insurance

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: 4 wheel alignment
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:54 pm 

TIPEC membership: 0
Where to start , fuel lines (braided ), brake lines (goodridge and all hard lines), discs, pads, refurbed calipers, shocks, refurbed gearbox support bar , exhaust sheild, gearbox oil cooler mounts, rear axle mounts, stainless back box,
i'm going to start a new thread with some pics, there are a couple of pics of my new fuel pipes on the 'Fuel pipes' thread , i put them on yesterday.
As for the boost i think its about 20 psi, a bit high , but you only live once, i've also fitted a K&N cylindrical filter and fitted a Mocal oil catcher and done away with the back pressure pipe to the intake.

Attachments:
944T POWER RUN 350.jpg
944T POWER RUN 350.jpg [ 200.1 KiB | Viewed 4897 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:25 pm 

TIPEC membership: 3980
Impressive - you have been busy!! The power curve looks good as well... If the scale on the right is Bar, 1.5 equates to around 21psi. Your AFR looks pretty stable; I would be interested to know what the scale is for that. Do you run a wideband?

I have a Tial 38, MBC, chips, aftermarket boost guage and wideband, and am running 18psi. Just haven't got around to dynoing it yet!! Very tempted by a MAF next...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:25 am 

TIPEC membership: 0
Hi, when the dyno run was done they used there own lamda sensor, i have installed an Autometer 2675 A/F ratio gauge with a narrow band lamda just for a visual representation inside the car, the main reason for the dyno run was to make sure the car wasn't running lean after the mods.
I've aslo fitted a Spa design digital boost and oil temperature gauge, which can log maximum figures for temp and boost, the boost is rather hard to read when driving as it all happens too quick and you can't really take your eyes off the road, but keeping an eye on the oil temperature is important i think. I fitted the oil temp sensor to the sump plug, and the boost sensor to the inlet manifold. I was tempted with the MAF if only to be able to reposition the cylindrical K&N air filter which is behind the intercooler, so i can get some cooler air to it, but it's a lot of money and i'm not really certain i will gain much out of it ?.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:59 am 

TIPEC membership: 666
Porsche952 wrote:
I was tempted with the MAF if only to be able to reposition the cylindrical K&N air filter which is behind the intercooler, so i can get some cooler air to it,

My K&N has just been moved into that exact same area which traditionally we all thought of as bad because of the heat from the engine and intercooler. However once moving there is sufficient cool airflow and mine Dyno'd slightly higher than when the K&N was behind the passengers headlamp.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:21 am 

Following on from my posting on 13th June I have been investigating the mystery of the "missing bolt".

As stated earlier the photos in AT were of a 911

The 944 is slightly different and the same I believe applies to the 968

Working from the front of the car there are two bolts in the horizontal plane. These are the ride height adjusters and will give a variance of approximately plus or minus 5mm. The front one of the two is the adjuster and the rear one of the two is basically the lock nut securing the spring plate to the torsion arm.

The third bolt hole is a void and should be seen as such. It is used as a location point for the insertion of an off set adjuster tool for toe.

The fourth bolt is is aligned to the anti roll bar droplink carrier and ajuster for camber

The final two bolts, which are in the vertical plane are for the location of the hub carrier.

Hope this is helpful.

Cannot see or post pictures, seems to be something to do with the security protocols on my PC. Therefore, I hope this text is understandable

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:28 pm 

Thanks Mymerak, who needs photos when words will do... :)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:40 pm 

Just got back from the 4 wheel alignment. Carried out by Jon Mitchell - as always, value for money service with a quality feel. Late evening run home from Christchurch to Somerset with few cars on the road. Car feels great!!! :D It used to tramline a bit - that's gone; I've also heard people describe the cars as feeling 'planted' after being set up and I now know what they were on about. It drives extremely nicely! A few people talk about the car feeling better on the original wheels however I disagree - 17in are definitely better. That little bit less sidewall flex makes a difference. Anyway, it's the drives like tonight's that remind you why these cars are so good :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:17 pm 

TIPEC membership: 4190
Glad to hear it, when comparing wheel sizes you have to take tyre technology into account, 17" are more likely to be a more modern technology.

http://tipec.net/region_southeastlondon.php

2018 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV
2005 Porsche Cayenne S Now sold!
2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Now sold!
2010 Mazda MX5 Mk3.5 2.0 Sport Tech
2000 Porsche Boxster S SOLD!
1987 Porsche 944 2.5

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:03 am 

Hi Paul

Good to hear the car is sorted now

Seems your car suffered with a few of the problems my car had

I think the feel of being better planted may be down to the fact that all four wheels are now acting in unison as opposed to working against each other even though set up may have been only slightly out.

What a difference a good set up makes, puts an even bigger smile on your face when pressing on

Money very well spent IMHO

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:47 am 

TIPEC membership: 5218
Mine's going to need a good alignment when I get it back on the road. It'll make a nice change having a car that can actually be adjusted unlike my Passat where you can only change the toe and the camber only alters as the car is lowered.

Looking forward to having a car that's fun to drive instead of my sensible barge.