Porsche Enthusiasts Club Forum

It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:45 am
Classic Line Insurance

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: I have a confession to make.
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:59 am 

TIPEC membership: 0
Skype ID: kathyfoat
I drove into the path of a bus and guess who came off worse? I think I am officially a woman driver now. :0(

I'm really sad about this obviously. It is a total loss write off however, I would really like to get it back on the road, mainly because I have grown attached to it and because I have already spent a lot of money and time on the engine. So, I'll be looking for the parts to restore it - it's really helpful to have access to all the names/listings of the scrap yards etc on this site that deal with 944s.

The front wing is now off and I've had a look at the suspension, the front strut is snapped in half and the ball joint on the wish bone looks like it will need replacing, as does the track rod end (just to be safe).

It looks like most parts will be OK to find, it's just sourcing a decent wing. If anyone has any suggestions/ideas to find a wing, that would be great.

Thanks
Kat.x

1970 VW Bay Window Camper
1970 Semi Auto Beetle, Lowered, Diamond Blue, Cookie Cutters, Daily Driver from 1994-2007

Post subject: Re: I have a confession to make.
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:51 am 

TIPEC membership: 6461
I am really sorry about your Porsche, Kat. You spent so much time on that car, I feel really bad for you.

Good to hear you are thinking of restoring it though. Although if the engine is sound you might be better off buying another Turbo with a knackered engine and then getting the current block transferred in. By the time you have fixed everything, got new wings, suspension, paid for a half respray, you may find you are better off using your current Porsche as a donar. Especially if the interior is in good nick in one and not the other and if the car now has a Cat listing. But get it all priced up and see what works out the best for you. Also, if you did end up with a donar car you can sell any decent left over bits and recoup some of your costs or just keep some parts as spares.

Either way, I am sure you will end up with a decent Turbo again one way or another!

Let us know how you get on with the wing as well, since I haven't really seen much in the way of new panels except those really light racing ones which are pretty pricey and the second hand ones which usually need some treatment/welding on the bottom of the wing.

Dave.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:18 am 

cox wrote:
I am really sorry about your Porsche, Kat. You spent so much time on that car, I feel really bad for you.

Good to hear you are thinking of restoring it though. Although if the engine is sound you might be better off buying another Turbo with a knackered engine and then getting the current block transferred in. By the time you have fixed everything, got new wings, suspension, paid for a half respray, you may find you are better off using your current Porsche as a donar. Especially if the interior is in good nick in one and not the other and if the car now has a Cat listing. But get it all priced up and see what works out the best for you. Also, if you did end up with a donar car you can sell any decent left over bits and recoup some of your costs or just keep some parts as spares.

Either way, I am sure you will end up with a decent Turbo again one way or another!

Let us know how you get on with the wing as well, since I haven't really seen much in the way of new panels except those really light racing ones which are pretty pricey and the second hand ones which usually need some treatment/welding on the bottom of the wing.

Dave.

Hi Dave,

thank you for reading/writing! I was thinking the same thing about finding a donor car but I really love the Maraschino Red and I don't think it's going to be possible to find another one in this colour! Anyway, maybe I will have to forgo the colour.

It was already a write off when I bought it, it was written off when it was 5 years old - so maybe that's another reason not to keep it...I'm not sure at the moment what to do.

Oh and what's really annoying is the wing on the car was perfect before the accident - no rust, nothing...I could use the bottom of the wing (which is untouched) to repair a rusty one I suppose.

I will keep you posted!

1970 Semi Auto Beetle, Lowered, Diamond Blue, Cookie Cutters, Daily Driver from 1994-2007

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:22 am 

TIPEC membership: 6015
Skype ID: umgi_hackn
Ouch, that is a terrible thing to see.
Sorry for your loss.
I think Dave might be right though, get a new donor car and transfer the engine over.
Looks like there is a lot of expensive work to do on yours.
And if you have half a respray the other side of the car will only irritate you so you should do a full respray.
Whatever you do, best of luck and get back up and running soon.

Bloody buses.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:25 pm 

Ouch and a bit! Sorry to see this happen to you.

I think it all hinges on the rear wing. The door, front wing, strut etc are all bolt on and easily changed. I know a breakers in Cheshire regularly cuts good rear wings off scrapers and sells them for about £200 but it's the fitting that could make it or break it.

KW's and the daily drive.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:33 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

TIPEC membership: 911
Sorry to read this Kat, pleased that you are Ok and able to tell the tale.

If you are going to keep the car long term then getting it repaired makes sense if not you might as well let it go.

If you need any help with values please give me a shout.

Join the Club

Silver 1989 911 Speedster
Midnight Blue 2004 996 C4S Cab
Tahoe Blue 1990 964 C2
Zenith Blue 1998 BoxsterSold
Guards Red 1992 944 S2 Cab gone but not forgotten
Mediterranean Blue BMW 530e

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:14 pm 

I would try to keep the original car & replace front wing & the door - that is if the 'A' post/windscreen is intact. A decent panel man should be able to sort-out the rear wing. Try Douglas Green (google the site) - he has a lot of 944s for breaking/parts etc. Good Luck!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:01 pm 

TIPEC membership: 5409
Not good to see, but you are okay !
Avoid Douglas Valley.............Expensive, as said door wing and strut are bolt on items and rear wing sections are always for sale on e bay, but make sure the body shop is reputable who you choose to fit the wing, ask if one of the local 944 ers can recommend somewhere.
It is a nice colour BTW.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:19 pm 

TIPEC membership: 4260
Ouch, sorry to hear about your accident, but glad to hear you're ok, going to be a big project to repair, hopefully people on here will help you source any parts you require, good luck

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:51 pm 

TIPEC membership: 6519
Skype ID: grinlord
Oh dear, bad news. Hope you are ok.

Maybe Keith aka avants2turbo is the right person to help.

'01 Vauxhall Combo diesel van for camping, working, and moving slowly

Computer Problems: At your WITS End? http://www.witscomputers.co.uk

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:04 pm 

KatPorsche wrote:
cox wrote:

Dave.

Hi Dave,

thank you for reading/writing! I was thinking the same thing about finding a donor car but I really love the Maraschino Red and I don't think it's going to be possible to find another one in this colour! I will keep you posted!

Sorry to hear about this, it is a rare colour and hard to find but if you fancy a bit of a road trip I found this, might need a little tidying though.

http://www.ebay.de/itm/1986-PORSCHE-944 ... 5348844917

Right click the page and translate with Bing :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:55 pm 

Just to let you'll know, she's too good to let go...the strut that was snapped in half looked brand new and lots of other parts I know have been replaced, including the work I have done to the engine. It's just not worth risking it to buy another one and find out new issues etc. Plus I love the colour and the interior - so, it may take me a while but I'm willing to keep her on a labour of love basis! :love10: She is a girl by the way, named Cherry for obvious reasons. My Beetle was a boy, because it was a Semi -Auto, it had a large ball behind each of the rear wings (ooo-errr), one for ATF and the other for Vacuum to operate the clutch. (the clutch operated by moving the gear lever, which had a contact solonoid built in, that then released the vacuum - made a farting noise and operated the clutch lever to change gear smoothly but you could also sit in traffic with it in gear as it had a torque converter. It was pretty quick off the lights though, one foot ready on the accelerator and one on the brake! and as you had to change gear yourself, it was like driving a manual but without a clutch pedal :0) it was fun at the time...just a bit of Ferdinand Porsche history for you :)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:10 pm 

KatPorsche wrote:
Just to let you'll know, she's too good to let go...the strut that was snapped in half looked brand new and lots of other parts I know have been replaced, including the work I have done to the engine. It's just not worth risking it to buy another one and find out new issues etc. Plus I love the colour and the interior - so, it may take me a while but I'm willing to keep her on a labour of love basis! :love10: She is a girl by the way, named Cherry for obvious reasons. My Beetle was a boy, because it was a Semi -Auto, it had a large ball behind each of the rear wings (ooo-errr), one for ATF and the other for Vacuum to operate the clutch. (the clutch operated by moving the gear lever, which had a contact solonoid built in, that then released the vacuum - made a farting noise and operated the clutch lever to change gear smoothly but you could also sit in traffic with it in gear as it had a torque converter. It was pretty quick off the lights though, one foot ready on the accelerator and one on the brake! and as you had to change gear yourself, it was like driving a manual but without a clutch pedal :0) it was fun at the time...just a bit of Ferdinand Porsche history for you :)

you are such a geek Kat!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:11 am 

avants2turbo wrote:
KatPorsche wrote:

you are such a geek Kat!

huh :?: :shock: :albino: - what the hell is an albino? lol

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:31 am 

TIPEC membership: 6519
Skype ID: grinlord
I rather enjoyed the history lesson. I'm fascinated by the semi-auto. Oh dear this is just sounding worse the more I say. But then Keith knows I'm a geek.

'01 Vauxhall Combo diesel van for camping, working, and moving slowly

Computer Problems: At your WITS End? http://www.witscomputers.co.uk