Porsche Enthusiasts Club Forum

It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:57 pm
Classic Line Insurance

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Club Sport Steering Wheel
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 9:44 am 

TIPEC membership: 5077
HOW MUCH!!!! :shock: OMG how do they justify the price. I would love a new steering wheel - quite fancy the Barchetta Plus coz it matches my car, but at that price - I'd have to be really really really really really nice to Andy :!: Mind you, he does struggle to get into the driver's seat, so I could always try that angle! :wink:

But seriously, it does look good - like your red edged mats as well :!:

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 1:37 pm 

yeah they aren't cheap, but I cannot believe what a difference it made to the feel of the car. The red piped mats are porscheshop jobbies as well...now they made the steering wheel look cheap :lol:

And I'm just about to stick up a post on my new In Car Stereo... next week it's a service and checkover the car (I'm single handedly trying to keep the economy on some kind of healthy level) the car is getting ready for LeMans as I'm gonna leave the lotus at home this year and take the 944.

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 3:02 am 

Li Moo Bai wrote:
Looks good on the car doesn't it. Modernises the interior a little. I was thinking about a clubby wheel at some point (maybe when I get 'round to doing the steering UJ's) but I prefer the black/embossed one.

Tell me, did it improve legroom?

Regards,
Adam

Looking at your pic, that wheel looks to be circular .....
Strange comment I know, but the all black embossed genuine Porsche version on my 911 has the spline set "offset" - so that it raises the base of the wheel up by a good 1-2 inches (that's a v.rough guess as its the middle of the night & I'm not going out to measure ... :pale: ) and gives you a heap more legroom!

So although it sounds a bit eccentric turning a wheel with that much offset, in reality it works fine.
Whether they are available for the 944 I don't know, but they are a superb bit of kit (got mine from Southbound and it moves from car to car ...)

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 10:19 am 

Sounds interesting Rich, haven't seen one of those. Even the original porsche CS wheel from porscheshop has a center hub, so you obviously got something quite rare now I guess (my elise wheel is slightly offset and it does work well, there is very little space between my legs and the wheel in the elise as it is).

The wheel (although I haven't actually measured it against the old one, feels slightly smaller in radius but works well as it's thicker and sportier (smoother turning) than the original. the grips at 2 and 10 and 3 and 9 are really well designed for the hand which makes driving the car much more comfortable...I'd say just being able to hold a wheel like this is good for 3-4 seconds a lap on a track as you can totally feel how your pointing the car, forget induction or chipping, just feeling the road can make a difference.

I'm used to throwing cars into corners which the old wheel never gave me the confidence to do, however now :shock: the wheel just cries out to be thrown around. After about a week with it now, I can't believe the big increase in road feedback it offers too.

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 12:00 pm 

Southbound told me (going back about two years when I bought it at Husbands Crawley) that it was the original fitment on the 964 at the 1991 model changeover. I remember it was pricy .... :shock:

Its a superb shape, and like you I much prefer the feel - it transforms the car. Not slippy either.
Might have a photo somewhere.

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 12:43 pm 

strange thing is there is a second hand wheel on ebay at present thats upto £205 + postage, they are only £225 new, some items on ebay I will not understand.

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 1:07 pm 

cytefx wrote:
strange thing is there is a second hand wheel on ebay at present thats upto £205 + postage, they are only £225 new, some items on ebay I will not understand.

I think there are quite a few different types on the market - colour Porsche stuck on crest and recessed crest among the various third party wheels. On some the "leather" is fairly cheap & thin compared with the Genuine Porsche versions. One I had squeaked like crazy and I couldn't stand it - so bought the OEM one.

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 2:08 pm 

richsimp1 wrote:
cytefx wrote:

I think there are quite a few different types on the market - colour Porsche stuck on crest and recessed crest among the various third party wheels. On some the "leather" is fairly cheap & thin compared with the Genuine Porsche versions. One I had squeaked like crazy and I couldn't stand it - so bought the OEM one.

Top marks to porscheshop as the two CD wheels they sell are top quality and you can get a good feel for them if you can get to the shop. As a parts supplier for cars they rank quite highly in my book compared to other cars I've had. There are many lotus parts suppliers but good ones are very rare.

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 10:32 pm 

TIPEC membership: 5409
The leather embossed wheels are the Porsche OEM jobbies I have one on my Turbo S, but I do like the look of the colour crested wheels.