Porsche Enthusiasts Club Forum

It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:01 pm
Classic Line Insurance

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Greetings.
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 8:21 pm 

TIPEC membership: 0
Recently bought a 944 lux. Love it, hope it doesn't break my heart ;D

Thought I'd say Hi here, before I start posting annoying comments. I joined this and the other club forum a while back.

Wanted a sportscar for a good 2 years after saying goodbye to my E34 BMW 525i Sport. Been driving around in a 50kw SDI golf in the meantime, while regularly spending literally all night looking at used car reviews, pistonheads and autotrader, and saving my pennies.

Considered allsorts in that time; BMW Z4, 3 Series Coupe, 8 Series, E34 M5, Honda Prelude, S2000, Civic Type R, Nissan 350Z, 300ZX, Lotus Elise, Elan S2, MGB, MGF, and Porsche 944,968,911.... many others I cant remember. Eventually I saved enough and got so sick of keep looking I decided to take the plunge.

The 944 was a car that kept coming up; cheap to buy, reliabile, fine handling, adequate performance and reasonable running costs. Plus since a kid I'd always loved pop up headlamps and those flared arches. I saw a couple of cars with niggly faults, then found the car I bought. Paid top dollar I guess but I had the money and its been looked at by two indies that rate it quite highly.

Its all original down to the casette player, and sits on 15" teledials. Im assured they werent original pirellis but they were pretty ancient. Big alloys hold little interest to me with the condition of Scottish roads (broke the BMWs suspension on a pothole, its 17"s coupled with lowered suspension rattled the life out of the poor thing) so I happily got them reshod with some new Dunlops.

Early days as yet but so far its but a huge grin on my face every time I've driven it. I'm becoming expert at making up excuses for B-road excursions, and am already planning my next purchase; a garage ;) It rains too much up here and I feel responsible for the thing already.

Roll on summer!

Post subject: Re: Greetings.
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 8:58 pm 

TIPEC membership: 4636
Fantastic 8) Post us some pics. Had mine 2 years & though it tries my patience at times. I wouldn't be without it! :D
The wife would sell it tomorrow :(

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:09 pm 

TIPEC membership: 4190
J.J. wrote:
Fantastic 8) Post us some pics. Had mine 2 years & though it tries my patience at times. I wouldn't be without it! :D
The wife would sell it tomorrow :(

So would mine, sometimes with me in it! :mrgreen:

http://tipec.net/region_southeastlondon.php

2018 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV
2005 Porsche Cayenne S Now sold!
2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Now sold!
2010 Mazda MX5 Mk3.5 2.0 Sport Tech
2000 Porsche Boxster S SOLD!
1987 Porsche 944 2.5

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:10 pm 

TIPEC membership: 4190
Pastry wrote:
Recently bought a 944 lux. Love it, hope it doesn't break my heart ;D

Thought I'd say Hi here, before I start posting annoying comments. I joined this and the other club forum a while back.

Wanted a sportscar for a good 2 years after saying goodbye to my E34 BMW 525i Sport. Been driving around in a 50kw SDI golf in the meantime, while regularly spending literally all night looking at used car reviews, pistonheads and autotrader, and saving my pennies.

Considered allsorts in that time; BMW Z4, 3 Series Coupe, 8 Series, E34 M5, Honda Prelude, S2000, Civic Type R, Nissan 350Z, 300ZX, Lotus Elise, Elan S2, MGB, MGF, and Porsche 944,968,911.... many others I cant remember. Eventually I saved enough and got so sick of keep looking I decided to take the plunge.

The 944 was a car that kept coming up; cheap to buy, reliabile, fine handling, adequate performance and reasonable running costs. Plus since a kid I'd always loved pop up headlamps and those flared arches. I saw a couple of cars with niggly faults, then found the car I bought. Paid top dollar I guess but I had the money and its been looked at by two indies that rate it quite highly.

Its all original down to the casette player, and sits on 15" teledials. Im assured they werent original pirellis but they were pretty ancient. Big alloys hold little interest to me with the condition of Scottish roads (broke the BMWs suspension on a pothole, its 17"s coupled with lowered suspension rattled the life out of the poor thing) so I happily got them reshod with some new Dunlops.

Early days as yet but so far its but a huge grin on my face every time I've driven it. I'm becoming expert at making up excuses for B-road excursions, and am already planning my next purchase; a garage ;) It rains too much up here and I feel responsible for the thing already.

Roll on summer!

Welcome to Porsche ownership & the forum... :wave:

http://tipec.net/region_southeastlondon.php

2018 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV
2005 Porsche Cayenne S Now sold!
2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Now sold!
2010 Mazda MX5 Mk3.5 2.0 Sport Tech
2000 Porsche Boxster S SOLD!
1987 Porsche 944 2.5

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:25 pm 

TIPEC membership: 0
hi from a new 944 owner and fellow scotsman ,just new to this forum and porsches this year and ditto :D almost the same reasons as yourself for owning a 944

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:13 pm 

TIPEC membership: 4260
hello and welcome to both the forum and porsche ownership, with 20 year old cars you can join the expectation of problems, but hopefully they will all be minor, and there's always someone on here to help out :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 3:12 pm 

TIPEC membership: 4623
Welcome to the forum and Prosche ownership.
Hope you have many happy hours...........

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 7:20 pm 

TIPEC membership: 5277
Hi and welcome.....
944's rock!
Enjoy...............
:headbang:

1982 944 Lux
Unrestored and lovingly cherished..
2008 Ford CMax 1.6 Turbo Diesel