Porsche Enthusiasts Club Forum

It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 10:17 am
Classic Line Insurance

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Newbie here
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:57 pm 

TIPEC membership: 0
Hi there,

Just a quick hello to all of you Porsche lovers out there! I have recently started seriously thinking about finally getting myself a 944, so thought best start by learning a bit more about them from the people who love them before rushing out to buy the first one I come across... I kind of did that with my '75 Triumph Stag and it's still at the project stage! :shock:

We are looking to move to another town in the near future and when that's sorted and we're a bit more settled I will hopefully be able to go looking for that perfect 944! 8)

Post subject: Re: Newbie here
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:18 am 

TIPEC membership: 7406
Firstly, welcome. And naturally I love your choice having owned a couple.

Any idea which version you are wanting? There are a few in the range and prices differ depending on model (and obviously condition, maintenance, history ect). Worth reading up on the models in the range and understanding the differences and narrow it down to a couple of types then ask the question again maybe. My humble opinion of the range of 944's would summerise as:
1. The sweet spot in terms of performance v good value would be the 944S2, however 1988 and later cars are prone to sill rot, but this is not exculsive to the S2
2. The McDaddy of the range would be the 944 Turbo SE 250hp, but is the most desired and therefore way more expensive than anything else in the range.
3. The very fun and enjoyable 'budget' (i use that loosely) option is the 944 Lux 2.5. I owned one for several years, loved it to bits, but pretty much rebuilt everything on the car as I bought a 'cheap' one.