Porsche Enthusiasts Club Forum

It is currently Wed Jun 26, 2024 1:14 am
Classic Line Insurance

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: calytic converter removal on a 1989 944 Turbo S?
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 1:33 pm 

TIPEC membership: 0
Hey all,
thanks heaps for the messages and reply's! Only got the car back the other day, they had it for 7 days and still were unsure of the problem seems it was the air flow meter, but still said they were unsure and only charged $130. Took it in for a wheel alignment today and had a call an hour later telling me they are unsure of how to work on the car??????
I took the catalytic converter off today (to replace with a high flow ;)) and woooooooot did the car drive and sound different. But what did happen was i noticed the oil pressure gauge dropped to only 3 bar when idling?

Also heaps of people have told me to replace the water pump. Can i ask does the water pump give any indication that its on the way out?????? like whining noise. Its just iv spent all my money buying the car and if this one still has some good yrs of use is there any indication its on the way out?

Kindest and down under regards Adam

Oh that's what i need to ask, do these cars have like a loud running noise. Like mine seems to have a high pitch running noise regardless of speed, well not heaps high pitch but yer like a noticeable running noise.

Post subject: Re: calytic converter removal on a 1989 944 Turbo S?
PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 8:36 am 

Not sure about the oil pressure maybe because you had a good run in it and got it warm, they can drop to 2bar when hot at tickover as long as the pressure gets around 4+ when over 2krpm I would not worry too much. The whine may be balance shaft belts they can whine if changed before running in or if they have been adjusted incorrectly. I suppose the other thing it could be is the turbo but I dont know enough about those although I suspect someone will come along soon with an answer.

1991 Titan Grey 944S2 (sold)
1996 Kawasaki ZX6R (Green of course)
1986 Red 924S (Sold)

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 9:15 pm 

TIPEC membership: 4636
Trouble if you ignore the water pump is that it will goose the engine if it fails. (Unless you notice in time & nobody ever does. You don't get a warning.) The impeller is nylon & it degrades with heat & chemicals from the coolant. Bad idea & there still doing it. The Audi TT has the same problem. You should always have at least 1K in the bank as a contingency fund. Seriously my advice is not to drive it until you can stretch to a new pump & new belts. Or you may join the gang that scrapped there dream car before they got to enjoy it. :( Pump is £250. Belts another £20 if the rollers are good. You can DIY. There are keys. Try doing zetec. :roll:
edit: Oil pressure no problem but you should be using synthetic. Turbos don't like mineral oil. Always let it idle for a couple of minutes before shutting down to let the heat disperse, (or slow right down for the last few miles.) After driving hard. Also don't push it from cold for 15 minutes until you have oil temperature or you will start to blow gaskets. Oil needs to be at full temp to protect your engine & lube the turbo bearings.

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 8:05 pm 

TIPEC membership: 6030
You should do the water pump and belts as soon as you can afford it, it's cheaper than a new engine in the long run. Also lets you sleep at night know that it doesn't need done and will make driving it all the more enjoyable.

Lee.

JOIN THE CLUB, CLICK HERE

2003 996TT

Due to the current economic climate, the light at the end of the tunnel has been switched off!

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 8:18 pm 

TIPEC membership: 4190
J.J. wrote:
Trouble if you ignore the water pump is that it will goose the engine if it fails. (Unless you notice in time & nobody ever does. You don't get a warning.) The impeller is nylon & it degrades with heat & chemicals from the coolant. Bad idea & there still doing it. The Audi TT has the same problem. You should always have at least 1K in the bank as a contingency fund. Seriously my advice is not to drive it until you can stretch to a new pump & new belts. Or you may join the gang that scrapped there dream car before they got to enjoy it. :( Pump is £250. Belts another £20 if the rollers are good. You can DIY. There are keys. Try doing zetec. :roll:
edit: Oil pressure no problem but you should be using synthetic. Turbos don't like mineral oil. Always let it idle for a couple of minutes before shutting down to let the heat disperse, (or slow right down for the last few miles.) After driving hard. Also don't push it from cold for 15 minutes until you have oil temperature or you will start to blow gaskets. Oil needs to be at full temp to protect your engine & lube the turbo bearings.

Err agree with most but the impeller isn't nylon that is a new bright idea on engines not on 944s though. The belts are more than 20 quid, CBA to go get my receipt but including VAT you are looking at 40-50

http://tipec.net/region_southeastlondon.php

2018 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV
2005 Porsche Cayenne S Now sold!
2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Now sold!
2010 Mazda MX5 Mk3.5 2.0 Sport Tech
2000 Porsche Boxster S SOLD!
1987 Porsche 944 2.5

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 9:13 pm 

TIPEC membership: 4636
Not from JMG there not Jim. Cam belt was £6.60 & it's Continental. Of course if you need rollers......Balance belt £29 When I look at the reciept. Thats £35 Ok I'm a bit out but not £50! Water pump was £233 + £10.80 for the thermostat
Sorry. The TT impeller is nylon. Doesn't last as long as the 944 one. Same idea. Still doesn't work.

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 3:09 pm 

Hey all,
mmm now you guys have me looking at the temp gauge all the time lol. Ill take ur advice and start looking into a new water pump. I cant afford to take it off the rd i need her to get to work. So i looked on pelican parts. They both sell new water pumps and the re-conditions ones. What do u guys think is there much difference between a new and a re-conditioned water pump? Also does anyone know were i can get one of those books or a copy of which services are meant to be done and at what time, you know those service books things with the stamps. Also if the car is has done 92 thousand kilometers do u recon the rollers will need doing?

kind regards Adam

P.S. working on some pics just need to borrow a mates camera.