Porsche Enthusiasts Club Forum

It is currently Sun Sep 22, 2019 4:04 pm
Asset Trust


All times are UTC [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Hello from Kent
PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:37 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:25 am
Posts: 94
Location: Kent
TIPEC membership: 8768
Hi I am a newbie from Kent,

Purchased an 1989 2.7 944 in Blue. I drove her back 300 miles, seems ok. Looking forward to chatting about the 100 billion jobs that she needs. So far I have identified:

- Wobbly gear stick (wow that thing moves all over the place but gears are good)
- Head lamp washers - (I can hear the motor, no water)
- Alarm (leds don't light on door knobs), there is a bridge Alarm relay missing....fun day that will be to sort
- Rumble from front right suspension (or steering rack)
- Power steering feels heavy, not sure it is working
- Clock (ordered kit)
- Seat repairs (ordered material)
- Exhaust blows (I think), may need new Dansk Cat
- Oil Pressure Gauge goes to 5 on engine start, so sensor maybe buggered or wires crossed
- Rear View Mirror rattles
- Right hand door doesn't turn interior light on
- Right hand door mirror doesn't heat up
- Washer jet does not heat on one side
- Rust in rear left wheel arch (looking down from inside boot)
- Headlining lose at back
- Steering wheel is crooked
- Gets hot in cabin in the centre, wonder if there is a heat shield missing in the middle underneath
- Mysterious box next to battery with a button on it!!!! Doesn't seem to do anything?
- Idles fast when hot (1500rpm)

I did fix the engine bay light today!!!

I love the car, and wanted a project, and did I get one!!!!!

Rachel

_________________
1989 944 2.7 (Blue)
2017 Mini Copper S


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Hello from Kent
PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:50 pm 
Offline
Site Admin
Site Admin

Joined: Thu Jan 01, 1970 1:00 am
Posts: 5498
Location: Rochester, Kent
TIPEC membership: 911
Welcome to the Club.

it looks like you are going to busy, plenty of 944 help on here and in the Kent Region. Check out the website for what we are up, club nights are the 1st Monday of every month at The Moody Mare Mereworth.

_________________
Chairman/Advertising/Events

Join the Club

Simply Porsche Show

Silver 1989 911 Speedster
Midnight Blue 2004 996 C4S Cab
Tahoe Blue 1990 964 C2
Zenith Blue 1998 BoxsterSold
Guards Red 1992 944 S2 Cab gone but not forgotten
Mediterranean Blue BMW 530e


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Hello from Kent
PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 6:13 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:25 am
Posts: 94
Location: Kent
TIPEC membership: 8768
Sean Smallman wrote:
Welcome to the Club.

it looks like you are going to busy, plenty of 944 help on here and in the Kent Region. Check out the website for what we are up, club nights are the 1st Monday of every month at The Moody Mare Mereworth.


Many thanks, I will look forward to chatting to other 944 drivers. :D

_________________
1989 944 2.7 (Blue)
2017 Mini Copper S


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Hello from Kent
PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:11 pm 
Offline
Moderator
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 8:43 pm
Posts: 12269
Location: Chatham, Kent
TIPEC membership: 4190
Hi Rachel, and welcome to Kent group! :wave: A few answers & guesses below
Picard1701 wrote:
Hi I am a newbie from Kent,

Purchased an 1989 2.7 944 in Blue. I drove her back 300 miles, seems ok. Looking forward to chatting about the 100 billion jobs that she needs. So far I have identified:

- Wobbly gear stick (wow that thing moves all over the place but gears are good)
Gear lever bushing, both at the gearbox end & lever end. Fiddly but relatively cheap.
- Head lamp washers - (I can hear the motor, no water)
Probably a hose off under the bumper, or knackered & jammed pump.
- Alarm (leds don't light on door knobs), there is a bridge Alarm relay missing....fun day that will be to sort
Not a clue!
- Rumble from front right suspension (or steering rack)
If you mean when driving could be a wheel bearing, otherwise a top mount or dying wishbone ball joint. Neither of the latter rumble though.
- Power steering feels heavy, not sure it is working
It is meant to be like that, you'll get used to it. It is part of the design. Worth flushing the fluid & putting fresh in though. Also check to steering shaft Universal joint, they die as the get cooked by the exhaust, especially if the engine mounts are knackered.
- Clock (ordered kit)
Very, very common!
- Seat repairs (ordered material)
Also pretty common
- Exhaust blows (I think), may need new Dansk Cat
Could be anywhere, there is a joint halfway down the car.
- Oil Pressure Gauge goes to 5 on engine start, so sensor maybe buggered or wires crossed
Nope, probably wire loose or fallen off. It goes to 5 if disconnected.
- Rear View Mirror rattles
?
- Right hand door doesn't turn interior light on
Switches need a clean or wire fallen off.
- Right hand door mirror doesn't heat up
Could be wires disconnected inside door panel. Replacement mirrors are fiddly to fix as plug doesn't gothrough 'ole so you have to separate the wiring!
- Washer jet does not heat on one side
New ones not expensive, could be wiring off as well.
- Rust in rear left wheel arch (looking down from inside boot)
Very common, unlikely to just be there. Remove vents in B post & shine light & see what state the sills are in.
- Headlining lose at back
Someone has dabbled with the sun roof. Just needs fixing back.
- Steering wheel is crooked
Full geometry check worthwhile. Makes a big difference as will a suspension refresh.
- Gets hot in cabin in the centre, wonder if there is a heat shield missing in the middle underneath
Could be, or the gearlever gaitor is off.
- Mysterious box next to battery with a button on it!!!! Doesn't seem to do anything?
?
- Idles fast when hot (1500rpm)
Probably idle control valve (ICV) or hoses around it. Fiddly, realy the inlet manifold needs to come off to get to it all. Air leaks can cause this.

I did fix the engine bay light today!!!
Result!

I love the car, and wanted a project, and did I get one!!!!!
You'll get there, the list gets longer before it gets shorter! :mrgreen:
Rachel

_________________
Jim

http://tipec.net/region_southeastlondon.php

2005 Porsche Cayenne S
2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Now sold!
2010 Mazda MX5 Mk3.5 2.0 Sport Tech
2000 Porsche Boxster S SOLD!
1987 Porsche 944 2.5


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Hello from Kent
PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:17 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:25 am
Posts: 94
Location: Kent
TIPEC membership: 8768
tr7v8 wrote:
Hi Rachel, and welcome to Kent group! :wave: A few answers & guesses below
Picard1701 wrote:
Hi I am a newbie from Kent,

Purchased an 1989 2.7 944 in Blue. I drove her back 300 miles, seems ok. Looking forward to chatting about the 100 billion jobs that she needs. So far I have identified:

- Wobbly gear stick (wow that thing moves all over the place but gears are good)
Gear lever bushing, both at the gearbox end & lever end. Fiddly but relatively cheap.
- Head lamp washers - (I can hear the motor, no water)
Probably a hose off under the bumper, or knackered & jammed pump.
- Alarm (leds don't light on door knobs), there is a bridge Alarm relay missing....fun day that will be to sort
Not a clue!
- Rumble from front right suspension (or steering rack)
If you mean when driving could be a wheel bearing, otherwise a top mount or dying wishbone ball joint. Neither of the latter rumble though.
- Power steering feels heavy, not sure it is working
It is meant to be like that, you'll get used to it. It is part of the design. Worth flushing the fluid & putting fresh in though. Also check to steering shaft Universal joint, they die as the get cooked by the exhaust, especially if the engine mounts are knackered.
- Clock (ordered kit)
Very, very common!
- Seat repairs (ordered material)
Also pretty common
- Exhaust blows (I think), may need new Dansk Cat
Could be anywhere, there is a joint halfway down the car.
- Oil Pressure Gauge goes to 5 on engine start, so sensor maybe buggered or wires crossed
Nope, probably wire loose or fallen off. It goes to 5 if disconnected.
- Rear View Mirror rattles
?
- Right hand door doesn't turn interior light on
Switches need a clean or wire fallen off.
- Right hand door mirror doesn't heat up
Could be wires disconnected inside door panel. Replacement mirrors are fiddly to fix as plug doesn't gothrough 'ole so you have to separate the wiring!
- Washer jet does not heat on one side
New ones not expensive, could be wiring off as well.
- Rust in rear left wheel arch (looking down from inside boot)
Very common, unlikely to just be there. Remove vents in B post & shine light & see what state the sills are in.
- Headlining lose at back
Someone has dabbled with the sun roof. Just needs fixing back.
- Steering wheel is crooked
Full geometry check worthwhile. Makes a big difference as will a suspension refresh.
- Gets hot in cabin in the centre, wonder if there is a heat shield missing in the middle underneath
Could be, or the gearlever gaitor is off.
- Mysterious box next to battery with a button on it!!!! Doesn't seem to do anything?
?
- Idles fast when hot (1500rpm)
Probably idle control valve (ICV) or hoses around it. Fiddly, realy the inlet manifold needs to come off to get to it all. Air leaks can cause this.

I did fix the engine bay light today!!!
Result!

I love the car, and wanted a project, and did I get one!!!!!
You'll get there, the list gets longer before it gets shorter! :mrgreen:
Rachel


Thank you Jim

_________________
1989 944 2.7 (Blue)
2017 Mini Copper S


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Hello from Kent
PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:40 am 
Offline
Site Admin
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 2:48 pm
Posts: 1086
Location: Wimborne, Dorset
TIPEC membership: 4746
Welcome Rachel. You might find this useful:

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1904

_________________
Jim Tarrant

ARO Southern
Website & Forum Admin
1991 944 S2 black/grey
1986 944 Lux red/black


JOIN THE CLUB


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Hello from Kent
PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:41 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:25 am
Posts: 94
Location: Kent
TIPEC membership: 8768
hotblack944 wrote:
Welcome Rachel. You might find this useful:

https://forums.tipec.net/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1904


This is great. Thank you Jim

_________________
1989 944 2.7 (Blue)
2017 Mini Copper S


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group