Porsche Enthusiasts Club Forum

It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:51 pm
Classic Line Insurance

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: sub divisions of the forum
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 11:38 am 

TIPEC membership: 3045
I have posted this in the front engined section but I do think it mereits wider discussion:

just to take this more seriously, I can see a time when post grow that it will be necessary to sub divide the model sections of the forum, this will make sense as the posts increase for several reasons including:

1 you would not have to wade through yards of other posts to find the things you are looking for

2 it will encourage owners of individual models to be more specific particularly with help requsts that are model specific,

3 it will make the site/ forum more attractive to individual model owners.

so the sub division idea, which i understand would not be too difficult to arrange, does merit some thought and discussion.

I would (and do on p1) read all the posts about any model but it (sub divisions) as on most other forums (rennlist P1 Impact bumpers etc etc) would enable those who dont want to look at 928 stuff but do want to post or read some thing tech about a 924 to have a much easier idea of where that post will be. This would be particularly true for new users.

In summary i think we will all agree that the change to slightly more sub divisions for models will have to come, if it is as easy to achieve as I am led to believe then it really should be something we think about doing asap as delay will lead to confusion and change is always scary.

I also think that the sub division idea should be done dealt with done soon to ensure that a division which must come does not come a a point where it is difficult to handle

I do realise that we cannot sub bivide Ad nausem but is the 928 different to the 944 family? the 964 is radically diff to the sc and the 993 another world. Perhaps Pre impact ,impact bumper, and post impact bumper air cooled? 924 944 968, 928 by itself (?) I cant see where else it fits.

or is it possible to have the subdivisions within the bigger headings? ie
911 water cooled

911: air coolled. divided into

pre impact

Impact

Post impact

Front engined

this could apply to all the other model areas of the forum mid engined = cayman, boxster etc and gives a little more specivity to the posts. It could also work in the regional section ie a sub area in Gruppe Southern for all the regionsin the group. feel free to shoot me down in flames but i do think we need to think about these things NOW and not later.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 1:55 pm 

cant believe no one has a view on this !!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 2:56 pm 

TIPEC membership: 4753
I reckon there’s two issues on the go here, which are linked.

The forum doesn’t seem to have a ‘new posts’ button. Something that you click to bring up all the threads which have had new posts since you last visited.

We have an ‘unanswered threads’ button, but that’s not as useful.

With a new posts button, it’s easy to keep up with as much or as little of the forum as you like, regardless of how many subfora there are. It then makes sense to subdivide things as much as possible to help people find specific topics.

Without one, users actually need to go and check each subforum indvidually, one at a time, to catch up on what’s being posted. That becomes a more and more time-consuming task the more subfora are introduced.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 2:59 pm 

TIPEC membership: 981
I support the idea of increasing the number of sub divisions because busy people simply don't have the time to filter masses of model specific posts.

The more sections the easier and more enjoyable I would find this site.

Thanks,
Nick

(Cayman Section) :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 3:06 pm 

there is a "posts since last visit" button mate. The point is i am not looking at "now" so much as developing for the future in a proactive way now rather than reactive later. The subdivisions would in my opinion be a good thing all round. But it would appear that given that we have that button you think we do need the subsections?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 4:24 pm 

TIPEC membership: 4753
dekandgord wrote:
there is a "posts since last visit" button mate.

Ah. That button doesn’t appear when using Safari 3 on a Mac. Damn.

So long as you can do that though, and the forum has a good search engine too, then I reckon you can have as many subfora as you like. Go nuts, be really specific.

Speaking of categorising threads though … shouldn’t this one be in the Board Talk forum?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 4:45 pm 

i think it prob should be in board talk but i got it wrong ! doh.if you will use these funny computers you style slave that you are !!! I am not realy talking about going nuts i just think it does nake sense to have the divisions in the long run

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:15 am 

TIPEC membership: 981
Jim,

Any thoughts on increasing the number of divisions to assist navigation around the forum and making it even more enjoyable?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 10:54 am 

TIPEC membership: 3275
I think your right, there should be more sub divisions. I also think that every T.I.P.E.C. Region should have it's own sub division instead of cramming them into just three categories. Plus it might be a good idea to have a members gallery section.

I would think that all this will come in time, but it's been a long wait for the new site to go live, so give them a chance to iron out all the bugs first.

Maybe they're just waiting for a discussion like this one to guage our opinions on how we would like the site to work?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:58 am 

I know we could wait and see but in the long run i think that creates another set of its own problems. I dont thhk putting the Sub headings in would be too difficult so why not strike whist the iron is hot?

Jim how hard would it be to do the subdivisions?

Sean is there any cost implications or other reasons why not that the comitte have discussed?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 12:34 pm 

I'm sorry but i disagree about dividing the divisions up more.

If in the future for example the watercooled division is getting 100 new topics a week, then it can be changed quite easily but you end up getting much less feedback when you divide too much.

You see, when everthing is split up, people are very lazy and will generally look at the section relating to their car.
Let's say that Joe Blogs posts a question about his 924 but there are only 5 REGULAR users on the 924 section, then Joe will only get a reply if one of those 5 know his answer.
However post it in the watercooled section and Joe now has maybe 20 regular users looking at his question, out of that 20, many have previously owned a 924 or will have had a similar problem with there 944 or whatever they drive. Of course some people post questions so general that Malcolm with his 125 Vespa (but has a Porsche poster on his wall) knows the answer and he's certainly not going to look at 20 different sections when browsing

All of the forums out there are slightly different and all are good and bad.
Some have little or no subdivisions and some have too many.
I'm sure that the many people who have put time into creating this site will have taken on board comments made on other forums about what was good and bad with them.

As you know I own a 928 and an aircooled 911 and personally, I think they've got it about right

Boxster 2.7 Silver 00 Sold
Boxster S Meridian 01 Sold
928 S2 Prussian Blue 86 Sold
993 C4 Arena Red 97 Sold

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 12:49 pm 

people are very lazy and will generally look at the section relating to their car

this is an argument for subdivision, if we want to attract more members then we need somewhere for people to look at their own car.
that is because people want to look at things relating to their car. This then implies that those who own water cooled will look in water cooled, those air cooled, aircooled etc, people will be sectionalized regardless of the size of the section. There is no point posting a query in the cayenne bit cos no one else will look at it?

all you do by having larger divisions, as we have now is make it much harder to trawl forum for the the place to put the question and to find the answer you want. We may as well rationalize those sections new and have done with it.

I look at all the sections, I had a 944 and will always answer any questions i can.

So the split is

water cooled:

Technical

then followed by:

or something like !!!!!!

i think as a club we need to recognise the diffeences as well as the sameness of the models. I also look at the forums that do wellImpact bumpers sub divides all the ib cars and does well as a forum, in fact all the best attended forums seem to be subdivided in this way.

Post subject: sub division
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 5:13 pm 

Hi
New to this forum and just joined TIPEC ,but have been a member of PCGB for 14 years and was RO for 5 years If you look at the PCGB Forum you will see how they set it out and have to say it works for me . I know this site is only days old and will have issues , the members for sale section is very poor and cannot get the link to work have a look at there site and see how it is laid out ,not criticizing just trying to be constructive

Cheers
Brian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:56 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

TIPEC membership: 4746
poprock wrote:
dekandgord wrote:
there is a "posts since last visit" button mate.

Ah. That button doesn’t appear when using Safari 3 on a Mac. Damn.

The "posts since last visit" works when using Safari 3 on my PC :?

I tweaked the cookie domain settings for the forum earlier to cure a double login problem. Can you delete any cookies on your machine from ...@tipec... or ...@www.tipec..., log back in and tell me if you still have a problem?

Jim.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:00 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

TIPEC membership: 4746
dekandgord wrote:
Jim how hard would it be to do the subdivisions?

New categories are easy. New forums are easy. Sub forums will require a modification to the forum software, which is a bit more involved, but can be done.

Jim.