All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:02 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

TIPEC membership: 4746
Nick wrote:
Jim,

Any thoughts on increasing the number of divisions to assist navigation around the forum and making it even more enjoyable?

I think a few more forums wouldn't hurt. I'll talk it over with Sean...

Jim.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 1:12 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

TIPEC membership: 911
One of our objectives when we set up the forum was to keep the forum headings to an absolute minimum.

Having an endless list of forums with tumbleweeds blowing through them seems pointless as well as being a pain to scroll through and confusing. The confusion was the biggest critisism of P-1.

The other objective is to keep the forum downloading at a good crsip speed. Going to a dedicated server with a cost of £1200 a year is not an option. We would appreciate photo's being in the 800x600 pixel size range as that will ensure those with a slower connection don't wait forever for the posts to upload. This will also keep our server space on our current tarrif.

We will seperate the front engined section but not the 911.

Regions we will leave as they are but will tag your Club night post with a sticky. So that it will always be in the first 6 or seven posts depending on how many regions in the Gruppe.

Members Gallery is not an option on this forum.

Classifieds section on the website does work.

Better smilies will be added but it's 100 on the list of 100.

The Club is new to running a forum, or should I say Jim and I are (mainly Jim). A little patience would be appreciated. I thought we would have got a little further than 2 days before the we want, we want started. :)

Join the Club

Silver 1989 911 Speedster
Midnight Blue 2004 996 C4S Cab
Tahoe Blue 1990 964 C2
Zenith Blue 1998 BoxsterSold
Guards Red 1992 944 S2 Cab gone but not forgotten
Mediterranean Blue BMW 530e

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 2:04 am 
Sorry you took it as we want we want Sean, it wasn't meant that way, we thought that we were helping trying to shape the forum as we the members who are going to be using it, are wanting it to be, apart from the teddy out at 2hours 19 mins the rest have been constructive idea's for building the new site from the bare bones of the template, agreed day 2 is early but leave things too long and they become established and harder to change.(A soap box smilie here would have helped :lol: :lol: )
As 1 of the 3 known 968 owners so far on site I am most happy with front engines, we share a lot in common with the 944S2 as the 924S and early 944 2.5 have a lot of common ground, although it pains me to say it after the incedent but the 928 is a seperate entity, and there are enough to justify a seperate section as you have recognised but personally I would like the front 4's kept cosy
Paul

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 9:06 am 

TIPEC membership: 981
hotblack944 wrote:
I think a few more forums wouldn't hurt. I'll talk it over with Sean...

Jim.

Thanks Jim, I'm sure it will please, not just the lazy, but the busy people as well.

:D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:16 am 

TIPEC membership: 3045
Sean, it was never meant to be we want we want, it was simply trying to be constructive and forward thinking. Im sorry if you felt that it was we want.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 2:15 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sean Smallman wrote:
We will seperate the front engined section

So we now have:
Front Engined
924, 944

This doesn't look right to me :? I propose we lock "Front Engined", i.e. no more posts to it, move exisiting topics to where they should be, then delete "Front Engined".

Also, I think 968 ought to be deleted and put in with 924, 944.

That would give us:

924, 944, 968

Any comments?

Jim.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 3:00 pm 

TIPEC membership: 3045
that would look better I think, that way it is a "family thing".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 9:12 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

There was a big smile after my post :lol:

Join the Club

Tahoe Blue 1990 964 C2

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:24 pm 
Please please keep it in the family :shock: as were to little :shock: as a group us 968's, checking back on the old site the 968 section averaged less than 1 post a month :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:26 pm 
Sean Smallman wrote:
There was a big smile after my post :lol:

Now you see the importance of the smilie :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 9:44 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Right, it's done. Is everyone happy now? :D :D :D

Jim.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 1:34 pm 
Ecstatic Jim mate, many many thanks, ....You rock.... Your the man....
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Paul

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 7:20 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

He's the 'Guru'.

Join the Club

Tahoe Blue 1990 964 C2

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 8:44 pm 

TIPEC membership: 993
Sean Smallman wrote:
One of our objectives when we set up the forum was to keep the forum headings to an absolute minimum.

Having an endless list of forums with tumbleweeds blowing through them seems pointless as well as being a pain to scroll through and confusing. The confusion was the biggest critisism of P-1.

The other objective is to keep the forum downloading at a good crsip speed. Going to a dedicated server with a cost of £1200 a year is not an option. We would appreciate photo's being in the 800x600 pixel size range as that will ensure those with a slower connection don't wait forever for the posts to upload. This will also keep our server space on our current tarrif.

We will seperate the front engined section but not the 911.

Regions we will leave as they are but will tag your Club night post with a sticky. So that it will always be in the first 6 or seven posts depending on how many regions in the Gruppe.

Members Gallery is not an option on this forum.

Classifieds section on the website does work.

Better smilies will be added but it's 100 on the list of 100.

The Club is new to running a forum, or should I say Jim and I are (mainly Jim). A little patience would be appreciated. I thought we would have got a little further than 2 days before the we want, we want started. :)

does not worry me , but the911 section is the only one which should be seperated , the pure 911 (aircooled) and the compromise water pump !!

the rest are all front engine / waterpumps anyway , except 914 , respect U guys , anybody got a 914/6 they want to flog me???

Post subject: Re: sub divisions of the forum
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 8:46 pm 

TIPEC membership: 993
dekandgord wrote:
I have posted this in the front engined section but I do think it mereits wider discussion:

just to take this more seriously, I can see a time when post grow that it will be necessary to sub divide the model sections of the forum, this will make sense as the posts increase for several reasons including:

1 you would not have to wade through yards of other posts to find the things you are looking for

2 it will encourage owners of individual models to be more specific particularly with help requsts that are model specific,

3 it will make the site/ forum more attractive to individual model owners.

so the sub division idea, which i understand would not be too difficult to arrange, does merit some thought and discussion.

I would (and do on p1) read all the posts about any model but it (sub divisions) as on most other forums (rennlist P1 Impact bumpers etc etc) would enable those who dont want to look at 928 stuff but do want to post or read some thing tech about a 924 to have a much easier idea of where that post will be. This would be particularly true for new users.

In summary i think we will all agree that the change to slightly more sub divisions for models will have to come, if it is as easy to achieve as I am led to believe then it really should be something we think about doing asap as delay will lead to confusion and change is always scary.

I also think that the sub division idea should be done dealt with done soon to ensure that a division which must come does not come a a point where it is difficult to handle

I do realise that we cannot sub bivide Ad nausem but is the 928 different to the 944 family? the 964 is radically diff to the sc and the 993 another world. Perhaps Pre impact ,impact bumper, and post impact bumper air cooled? 924 944 968, 928 by itself (?) I cant see where else it fits.

or is it possible to have the subdivisions within the bigger headings? ie
911 water cooled

911: air coolled. divided into

pre impact

Impact

Post impact

Front engined

this could apply to all the other model areas of the forum mid engined = cayman, boxster etc and gives a little more specivity to the posts. It could also work in the regional section ie a sub area in Gruppe Southern for all the regionsin the group. feel free to shoot me down in flames but i do think we need to think about these things NOW and not later.

wots the differece between pre impact and impact :D