Porsche Enthusiasts Club Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:18 pm
Classic Line Insurance

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Insurance woes.
PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 5:04 pm 

TIPEC membership: 4636
Well I tried CVI since they are now Tipec sponsors. No joy. My existing policy is with NIG & there pulling out of the UK. :shock: Been with them for 4 years. Talked to Footman James now my Broker. There not sure they will be able to offer insurance this year. Unless I buy another car & just use the '44 at weekends. So I got a quote on a Fiesta 1.2 They want £400 (Including 10yrs NCB) :shock: Pointed out thats more than the Porsche. :lol: This must be one of the reasons the bottoms dropped out out of the car market. Dread to think what they'd want for something with an engine.......
So what do I tell mrs JJ.:(

Post subject: Re: Insurance woes.
PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 6:25 pm 

TIPEC membership: 993
J.J. wrote:
Well I tried CVI since they are now Tipec sponsors. No joy. My existing policy is with NIG & there pulling out of the UK. :shock: Been with them for 4 years. Talked to Footman James now my Broker. There not sure they will be able to offer insurance this year. Unless I buy another car & just use the '44 at weekends. So I got a quote on a Fiesta 1.2 They want £400 (Including 10yrs NCB) :shock: Pointed out thats more than the Porsche. :lol: This must be one of the reasons the bottoms dropped out out of the car market. Dread to think what they'd want for something with an engine.......
So what do I tell mrs JJ.:(

COuld be issues if CVI cant help?? They have really pulled out all the stops to help me with a car they dont usually cover - at a price that no one else could match.

Morris the 58 Split screen in 'shed' state
Wilma the Karmann 70's beetle
Jag x type motorway slogger
Nasty 206 pug thing - but great for trashing around in

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 9:50 pm 

I've been using my '44 as a daily drive. Including commuting too & from work. It was on a Classic policy with unlimited mileage & with modifications listed. Agreed value thrown in. All for £300. Now It will cost nearly £400 for weekend use SD & P. And I have to buy another car!!! Which I won't use much as I often commute by train as it's quicker & less stressful. (The don't believe me.) Insurance is mad! Going to give them a chance to (Footman james) to find me some kind of policy. Even at £1000 it's cheaper than buying another car. But failing that I have to think up a story or it's good bye Porsche. Just when I got it going right. It's going to Wayne for a live remap on Monday. Sounds more like a Ferrari than a Porsche. I just love it. I'm actually seriously looking at a 11 year old 1.2 Renault Cleo to tax & test & then park up for 12 months.:oops:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 5:23 pm 

TIPEC membership: 4753
Is it the commuting part of your policy that’s giving you trouble? Or the annual mileage maybe? Most classic policies seem to only permit 6,000 or even 5,000 miles in my experience.

I don’t know whether they’ll be able to help, but I recommend giving T.R. Young’s a call on 01206 821 330. They’re somehow able to give me 944 insurance at half of the price anybody else can reach. They never have any issues with modifications to my car, or with my wife driving it, and are the only brokers who are willing to give me proper coverage for the expensive stereo kit in my car (even CVI couldn’t do that).

Classic Line are always worth trying as well. They managed to come up with a reasonable price for me as well, but only for a lower annual milage allowance.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:53 pm 

I don't have a garage for a start. They don't like commuting. (In summer I like to use the thing.) Mileage now not an issue as I would be unlikely to do more than 6K due to a recent change in circumstance. It's a bad postcode too. They tell me many people are being refused insurance now with cars like mine. :shock:
Thanks Tony I will give them a go as well. Don't fancy forking out 1K for a shed to have to tax & test it & insure it as well. Probably still use the train a lot as it's so much faster. Takes 10 minutes to get to work by train. 35+ driving. There was a speed trap en route last week. Copper was bored silly as the queue was moving at walking pace. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:51 am 

TIPEC membership: 4753
J.J. wrote:
They tell me many people are being refused insurance now with cars like mine.

That’s a pretty scary thing to hear. I only had one company tell me that under no circumstances would they offer me insurance, and that was down to postcode. I forget which company is was, but apparently my G1 code brings up a flashing red flag on their screen!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 2:42 pm 

TIPEC membership: 6116
CVI wont quote on a boxster as its too modern :roll: :roll:

Best quote so far for me is Direct Line by almost £100

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 3:46 pm 

TIPEC membership: 6030
J.J. I just had a thought, my 944 is with Aviva through Adrian Flux. It is everything you are looking for and it is £360 a year. No limitations on use/mileage or anything. Let us know how you get on.

JOIN THE CLUB, CLICK HERE

2003 996TT

Due to the current economic climate, the light at the end of the tunnel has been switched off!