Porsche Enthusiasts Club Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:03 pm
Classic Line Insurance

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Hagerty Insurance Company
PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 2:12 pm 

TIPEC membership: 5024
So, as my insurance is about to expire, I called them for a quote. Very nice chap, gave me a quote that was almost 30% cheaper than the Adrian Flux price.
And then, as we were having a pleasant chat, it turns out that they will ONLY insure you if the second car in the family is in YOUR name; in our case the family car is in the wife's name, and I am a named driver on the insurance, so they cannot quote me... :(

That's a very strange restriction; I do not use a car during the week, in fact I do NOT need another car for any other purpose, I take the train to work, but that's not good enough.
Shame because they had a good package.

seg

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 3:28 pm 

TIPEC membership: 993
seg1959 wrote:
So, as my insurance is about to expire, I called them for a quote. Very nice chap, gave me a quote that was almost 30% cheaper than the Adrian Flux price.
And then, as we were having a pleasant chat, it turns out that they will ONLY insure you if the second car in the family is in YOUR name; in our case the family car is in the wife's name, and I am a named driver on the insurance, so they cannot quote me... :(

That's a very strange restriction; I do not use a car during the week, in fact I do NOT need another car for any other purpose, I take the train to work, but that's not good enough.

seg

So why not put the family car in your name with her as a named driver, if its going to save you money???

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:09 pm 

sam wrote:
seg1959 wrote:

seg

So why not put the family car in your name with her as a named driver, if its going to save you money???

1. we have already bought the insurance for the family car, and if we cancel now we get only a percentage of the cost back;
2. most policies do not recognise NCBs for named drivers - not good for my wife

the point I was making was that the condition/restriction seems a bit absurd to me - those of you insured with Hagerty, do you all have another car insured in your name?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:30 am 

seg1959 wrote:
sam wrote:
seg1959 wrote:

seg

1. we have already bought the insurance for the family car, and if we cancel now we get only a percentage of the cost back;
2. most policies do not recognise NCBs for named drivers - not good for my wife

the point I was making was that the condition/restriction seems a bit absurd to me - those of you insured with Hagerty, do you all have another car insured in your name?

Yep, I have a daily drive , and another car , a '96 Landy (clasified as a classic !)the Landy is also insured with Hagerty, along with the 993 :)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:45 am 

TIPEC membership: 5406
Yes, I have two other cars insured in my name ... I would guess its so they can be as sure as they can be its a second car. By definition getting low use in their eyes, although I would question that is always the case. You are unfortunate I guess in that you don't use your car much but it's not your second car, but could be argued it's the 'families' second car?
I am sure there are plenty driving others out there driving their 'second 'cars' on Hagerty Policies more mileage than you would drive your 911.
They are very good indeed though .... the policy is very comprehensive as well for the money. Even has recovery and Euro cover.

Gone but not forgotten:
1986 944 Lux
1988 944 Lux

Location - Near Bath in South West

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:27 am 

watchcam wrote:
I would guess its so they can be as sure as they can be its a second car. By definition getting low use in their eyes, although I would question that is always the case. You are unfortunate I guess in that you don't use your car much but it's not your second car, but could be argued it's the 'families' second car?

I argued with them that given that as it is part of the contract that I will do under 4,000 miles a year, that should be enough to prove low mileage or second car status. The guy on the phone was adamant that if you do not have another insurance in your name, you do not qualify.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:31 pm 

TIPEC membership: 1007
Skype ID: stepa1007
I had a similar thing with performance direct when I insured my Rose.
I told them I had another Porsche insured wth Heritage on classic under my own name as well as use of the wives Clio.
They were ok with that.

It is a silly restriction and one that only a few companies appear to have,

Stephen

Member since 1996
Club Chairman 1999 - early 2005
North East RO 1996 - 2002
North East ARO 2002 - 2005
TiPEC LIFE MEMBER

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:43 pm 

Don't see it as a silly restriction myself, if it allows them to give their clients a great price and super cover

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 6:29 pm 

sam wrote:
Don't see it as a silly restriction myself, if it allows them to give their clients a great price and super cover

Would agree with that if anyone could explain how it reduces the company's risk.
However, your contract is based (among other things) on a certain mileage per annum, so whether you own another insurance policy cannot make you more/less risk averse?

Is someone with a second car who does 10,000 miles a year in their "classic" car less of a risk that someone who has NO second car but only does 2,000 miles in his/her classic car?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 6:51 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

TIPEC membership: 911
I'll have a chat with them at the NEC.

I guess it will be nothing to do with miles, it will be using the car for work that has prompted that clause.

Join the Club

Silver 1989 911 Speedster
Midnight Blue 2004 996 C4S Cab
Tahoe Blue 1990 964 C2
Zenith Blue 1998 BoxsterSold
Guards Red 1992 944 S2 Cab gone but not forgotten
Mediterranean Blue BMW 530e

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:50 pm 

Sean Smallman wrote:
I'll have a chat with them at the NEC.

I guess it will be nothing to do with miles, it will be using the car for work that has prompted that clause.

Again, good point, but they ask you if you are using the car for Social Domestic & Pleasure or commuting. So... you've already affirmed the usage of the car.

Anyway, this is all academic, it's their business and they can set the rules - I am just surprised they turn away customers for no apparent (to me) reason.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 12:13 pm 

TIPEC membership: 5516
Hagerty was a complete waste of time for me :(

Worth ringing / emailing classicline if you are a "non- standard" classic car owner whatever one of those is or your car is heavily modified (they work in association with the NSRA (National Street Rod Association))

:)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 12:37 pm 

TIPEC membership: 5406
I pay less than £90 a year including roadside for my 928 .... bargain I think!

As has been said above if you are trying to get away with cheap insurance on what is your main car these guys are not for you.

I pay a lot more for my main drive. In fact too much!

Gone but not forgotten:
1986 944 Lux
1988 944 Lux

Location - Near Bath in South West

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 10:41 pm 

TIPEC membership: 4260
Pixie*Porsche wrote:
Hagerty was a complete waste of time for me :(

Worth ringing / emailing classicline if you are a "non- standard" classic car owner whatever one of those is or your car is heavily modified (they work in association with the NSRA (National Street Rod Association))

:)

i was with classicline, and hagerty cut my annual insurance in half for exactly the same policy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:22 pm 

TIPEC membership: 4754
Just been quoted £470 for my ins from adrian flux.
Tried hagerty last year and they wont quote my due to above reason (second car in not in my name).
Phoned performance ins, £370 thats with hagerty!
So they wont insure you direct, but they will threw a broker? How odd.