Porsche Enthusiasts Club Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:03 pm
Classic Line Insurance

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: GAP Insurance
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:29 am 

TIPEC membership: 0
Hi everyone, this is my first post and I am looking for a bit of help.

I bought a 996 C4S last year and took out finance with blackhorse. I paid top money for the car as it was exactly the one I wanted and had every option I was looking for.

At the time I wasn't offered nor was I interested in GAP insurance but over the past year I have had two friends make insurance claims one with GAP and one without. Now I am interested in taking out a policy due to the fact of falling car prices and after seeing both sides think its an advantage as I paid possibly over the odds for the car and if anything were to happen would be left with a substantial shortfall.

Now my question is, is it possible to take it out on a purchase over a year old? And with the following spec:
2004 04
996 C45
22,418 miles

Hope some of you can help

Cheers
John

Post subject: Re: GAP Insurance
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:01 pm 

TIPEC membership: 4004
Hello John,
Welcome. Your 1st and possibly one of my last posts as I have recently purchased my 1st New car :-a New Volvo XC70 (replacing a stable of 3 which includes a 944Turbo)

I have just taken out a GAP insurance on this new car through Volvo > Santander > London General Insurance Company Limited. The documents came through this morning, I am reading through them now.
The relevant bits might me :-
Eligibility
is covered by comprehensive motor insurance ... is registered in the UK and is no more than 9 years old from Date of 1st Regn. and has no more then 90,000miles, and has a purchase price of no more than £50,000......
Not eligible for cover are ...
...any vehicle that has been modified other than in accordance with the manufacturer's specification.

Could be worth ringing where you purchased it from regarding the " Santander Return to Invoice GAP insurance" The supplying Retailer is authorised to sell this insurance on behalf of the insurer, London General Insurance Company Limited. TWG Services Limited. (or Santander for help)

The policy (Cost £299) will pay the greater of :-
1) Return to invoice (£32,000) (available for 36 months from start of policy).....- the difference between motor insurance settlement and the purchase price .....
2) Financial Shortfall (available for up to 60 Months from start of policy).....
Hope this helps
Clive

ps
Lots of exclusion including if no MOT!

Volvo XC70 D5 (Hauler)
HymerCar Sydney
Nissan Micra (Runabout)
Previous 944's not forgotten
S2 Cab, 2.7 (Alpine White)