Porsche Enthusiasts Club Forum

It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:51 pm
Classic Line Insurance

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Cleaning over 20 years of dirt of my Porsche 928 engine ?
PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:11 pm 

Hi All,
I have my Porsche 928 engine out on the floor and have removed the manifold,fuel lines and system to allow me to clean the block as well as possbile but without a complete rebuild it is not possible to send all the allloy block and parts ect away for beed blasting so I have started cleaning it with degreeser were needed.

I have then started to clean the top of the alloy block,sides, head ect however the only way I can seem to get the black layer of tarnish of the allloy is with a wire brush on the end of my grinder, however this is fine for the flat larger areas but for the small area and the Porsche writing on the side of the head it is imposible to get in and cleen with this brush ?

Any idea's

I have some acid which it claims is for cleaning heavy duty alloy truck bodies but I am a little worried about using this in case it attacks it to much ! has anybody used any products like this is it down to just lot of little wire had brushes ?

I am having Paul Anderson fit new water pump,belts head gaskets ect but down't wish to do a total strip down of the whole engine as it is really just to get a good finish as the engine is good and passed the imisions test for the MOT, however I am looking to restore this car to show condition if possible.

Thanks
Malcolm Thompson

1 x Porsche 928S 1982 being restored
1x Porsche 928S 1983 donor car

Post subject: Re: Cleaning over 20 years of dirt of my Porsche 928 engine
PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:51 pm 

TIPEC membership: 6030
Have you got a picture of what the tarnish looks like?

I used to use stuff called "Jizer" but I don't know if it is still available. If it is oil and grease, then it would take it off if you soaked it and used a stiff brush, like alloy wheel cleaning type brush, or a pressure wahsher.

JOIN THE CLUB, CLICK HERE

2003 996TT

Due to the current economic climate, the light at the end of the tunnel has been switched off!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 11:02 pm 

Hi thanks for advise but I was able to clean all the oil & grease of it is just were the alloy has tarnished over all the years, however I can confirm I have found the way to clean it now thanks -

A father in law with several spare hours and a wire brush on the end of my 4" grinder. or should I say several wire brushes on the end of the grinder but I can confirm it works for any body who is as sad as me as my wife would say.[ Best wire brush i found was in Machine Mart 75mm dia gold colour]

Grinder very hot, father in law worn out like the brush but a nice new bright looking engine head.

Thanks again
Malcolm Thompson

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 12:20 am 

Ah,does that make it a family car? :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:35 pm 

Yes at this rate my father in law will own more of this car than me with all his hard work.

Its great as every time I take a part off the car he takes it away cleans it, paints it and it comes back like new the only problem is the few hours I get to work on it on a weekend means he is waiting for me to remove more parts and asking when I am going to fit all the parts he has cleaned and painted. I guess a good problem to have

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:42 pm 

Sorry I wasn't monitoring the forum a bit more, as, if I am permitted to mention it, Race Glaze produce a product especially for what you needed - a liquid to make the discolouration disappear and restore the new bright look of the block. I have used it over the years on my 944Turbo to great effect.
Its loved by the winter motorcycle project guys as it can get in between the cooling fins - its AluBright, comes in 500ml and 2500ml from £9.99.
Brilliant stuff - no pun intended.