Porsche Enthusiasts Club Forum

It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:03 pm
Classic Line Insurance

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Protective Film
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:19 am 

TIPEC membership: 0
Whilst the paint condition is almost perfect I'm considering getting the frontal area covered in protective film, I know there are one or two products available on the market does anyone have any experience or recommendations for companies in the Midlands?

Post subject: Re: Protective Film
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:15 am 

TIPEC membership: 5071
IMHO: i wouldn't bother, its better to use good quality cleaners and wax. it important to learn how to use the products properly for bst effect and ease of use.

and should you collect loads of stone chips (like i have done before)at a track day then get the front resprayed. its cheaper in the long run.

i have some film on the wheel arches of my 993 and the paint has still got chipped through the film :evil:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:32 am 

TIPEC membership: 0
Helen Goff wrote:
IMHO: i wouldn't bother, its better to use good quality cleaners and wax. it important to learn how to use the products properly for bst effect and ease of use.

and should you collect loads of stone chips (like i have done before)at a track day then get the front resprayed. its cheaper in the long run.

i have some film on the wheel arches of my 993 and the paint has still got chipped through the film :evil:

Thanks,

It's just the stone chips I'm worried about, particulaly the front bumper area, I wouldn't consider doing much more as I don't like the look of it but I'm told it's improved significantly and doesn't yellow etc.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:45 pm 

yes it has improved and if fitted well, on some colours is hardly visable. but is expensive. i got a quote for the front of my 993 including wing mirrors and it was over £2k. :shock: and the stuff thats already on the wheel arches (granted its of a lower quality) hasn't stopped the stones from chipping the paint underneith the film.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 1:26 pm 

Helen,

Thats a pretty compelling answer against using protective film, useful as i was considering it. Where do you go and how much is a front end re-spray ?

Marc

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 1:36 pm 

TIPEC membership: 5060
FWIW I had Paintshield http://www.xpeleu.com/index.php do the whole front of my daily driver:

As you can see (or rather as you can not see) the results are pretty good. So far (about 6 months in) there have been no problems and, more importantly, no stone chips. PM me if you want more datails.

If at first you don't succeed, redefine success.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 1:40 pm 

as i said this is just my opinion. ad i suspect if i had a GT3 and spent more time on track i might think diffrent.

i have had the whole front end (bumper/bonnet/wings and mirrors) done on a flat black colour Boxster for approx £300. via Zentrum, Nottingham. but have to admit that was 3 years ago now.

had my speed yellow (again a flat colour) given a general tidy/touch up of the paintwork dec 2007 and it cost approx £200. again via Zentrum, Notts. was delighted with it although they forgot the sill underneith the front bumper..........or manybe i picked up some chips on the way home :cry:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 1:47 pm 

Tom wrote:
FWIW I had Paintshield http://www.xpeleu.com/index.php do the whole front of my daily driver:

As you can see (or rather as you can not see) the results are pretty good. So far (about 6 months in) there have been no problems and, more importantly, no stone chips. PM me if you want more datails.

that looks stunning in that colour 8)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 3:28 pm 

TIPEC membership: 993
I accept stone chips are always a pain - but then is shelling out a lot of money that would stop them. I do the chips once a month (using paint - obviously / wet and dry paper / polisher etc) and you would never know they were there.

So for a few hours once a month (and an excuse to play cars) i save the expense of film that I cant afford!

Morris the 58 Split screen in 'shed' state
Wilma the Karmann 70's beetle
Jag x type motorway slogger
Nasty 206 pug thing - but great for trashing around in

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 12:11 pm 

Clive all i can say is you are far more talented than i . If i did that it would look a complete disaster very quickly ! Marc