Porsche Enthusiasts Club Forum

It is currently Fri May 10, 2024 6:31 pm
Classic Line Insurance

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Firestone v Michelin
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 12:34 am 

Just had a quote for 2 new 255/40/17 ZR Michelin pilot`s from my local tyre spot and they want 320 fitted for them , but on Ebay I`ve spotted a pair of Firestone SZ40`s for 145 for the pair .
I know the Michelin`s are a Porsche fitment and are absolutely superb but my question is , is anybody using these Firestone`s , as I`ve never had a set , and Is it right that its not wise to mix brands on front and rear axles ?? personally I think its a load of old tosh !!!

Post subject: Re: Firestone v Michelin
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 1:49 am 
I used to use Firestone Firehawks lots of years ago and really rated them, they lost a lot of kudos when they were OE fitment on fords and a.n.other manufacturer and they had a major recall stateside which they struggled to recover from, not tried them recently, on the mixed axles its tosh to a degree its when you get a massive difference in the quality of the 2 pairs, again early 90's I traded my Honda Prelude GSI in on a new bike, then 2 years later as I was buying another bike the shop owner told me that he had just took it in again px on a bike and did I want it cheap, bit his hand off. It had still got a pair of uniroyals on the back that I had fitted 3/4 worn but on the front were a set of newish Tigars, they were shite, forever wheelspinning when you tried to use any power, I was skint so I thought I would put them on the back and put the uniroyals on the front, that worked ok for a few days until I went barreling into one of my favourite long sweepers and the back end came round on me, very strange feeling on a front wheel drive car, swapped for 4 Firehawks that afternoon

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 8:16 pm 

TIPEC membership: 4636
You can safely mix brands front & rear. But it does effect the balance. I wouldn't do it. With Pilots on the front you may make it tail happy. Just got some tyres your size. Set of 4 Avons ZZ4's for £370. (Fronts are 205/50)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 8:36 pm 

Thanks both , for the Info , I might have a look at the avons aswell , but it would have to be a new full set as I dont want to upset the balance of the car , saying that though the fronts are like new so I`m in a bit of a dilema :!:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 2:42 pm 

TIPEC membership: 4636
Only got the Avons because of supply problems or cost of the others. Too soon to say how good they are as I only had them fitted the other day & have only been to Tesco's so far! They need to bed in a bit. Options are Falkens, Avons, Toyo, Conti's, Khumo, Rears are available in the Falkens 912. But fronts are out of stock until end of March. They are £300 the set & lots on here swear by them. The older 452 are now obsolete so if you get them you will never be able to match up the fronts. I had to search hard for the best deal. I was quoted £550 the first place I tried. :shock: Just for Falkens. Contis I would have to remortgage the house. Pilots better not ask. Bought my tyres there for years as well. Somtimes I think they see the Porsche badge & add 50%. Shop around. If your anywhere near can recomend a good mobile tyre fitter. Beat the prices on black circles!

Edit. Just been out & given the Avon ZZ3's a workout. Excelent grip on damp tarmac. Took a series of corners at speeds that would have seen me full on sideways with the contis'. There good. But £75 more than Falkens. It all depends how long they last.........

Last edited by J.J. on Sun Feb 24, 2008 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 3:58 pm 
I'm with JJ on the Falkens, bought my first set by accident, they came pre fitted to a new set of alloys on the scoob, but pound for performance they punch with tyres that cost 30 quid a wheel more, if you can't/don't want to stretch the budget to top of the range Goodyears or Bridgestones etc. Falkens seem to be head and shoulders above the rest of the budget performance tyres, out of stock is a good clue that they are doing somthing right :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:16 pm 

Cheers for the Info , I`ll get back to you when I`ve got a new set .

edit : My old man reckons there is another 2000 miles left in my Pilots yet , I`m not so sure as the mot bloke said one of the lines was on the limit but upon further inspection , there is about 3mm left above the limiter !

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 9:32 pm 

Well ... finally got the rears replaced with Dunlop Sp,s as they were a good price and a hell of a lot cheaper than the Michellin`s. All I can say is I am dissapointed ....I got them for £240 fitted compared to the now price of £340 for the Michellins .
They stick well to the road but when accelarating or crusing in a straight line the car feels as if it needs the steering correcting every 2 seconds !!! The car feels as if it is pushing to one side then the next side , making me having to correct it as said , I hope they bed in and this goes away , but wish now I`d spent the extra and gone for the Porsche Fitment tyres , lesson learnt me thinks :evil:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:25 am 

TIPEC membership: 0
I bet they're better than ny 195 Vredstein Ultracs!!