Porsche Enthusiasts Club Forum

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:15 pm
Classic Line Insurance

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Roof goes up, roof comes down, roof goes up, roof down.
PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 6:54 pm 

TIPEC membership: 6164
In the words of Homer J Simpson my most recent plea for help goes something like this. “roof goes up, roof comes down, roof goes up, roof comes down, roof goes up, roof comes down, roof goes up, roof comes down” & so on. However it will not come out.
My plight is as follows, the roof will go up & down with the ignition key in the” ignition on” position, 2nd click , red lights on, position but will not move in the accessory position so I cannot remove it to fit new cogs ( i have done since, just lashed the battery straight to the motor with 2 crocodile leads, but don’t tell anyone!) So far I have tried the following. Tested all the fuses that say “roof” next to them I believe it was 3 of them, I know the switch works or roof would not move with the ignition on, changed over both relays on the roof motor assembly at the back with one another no change in operation, micro switch between visors ok, tested all micro switches on the motor it’s self all test ok. So I have come to the conclusion it is probable the relay under the bonnet? I work in the electrical engineering field (I train people to be Automatic Door engineers) so have a good grasp of electrical & electronic principles, but I cannot get my head round the sun roof relay to short out the relevant contacts to fire up the roof & prove it is that that’s knackered.
If any of you have any ideas at all I would be very grateful.
PS once I got the roof out by cheating I had to take it for a quick drive for the first time minus the roof, big smiles, then I had to take the wife out for a drive in it, more smiles. I love this car!

Post subject: Re: Roof goes up, roof comes down, roof goes up, roof down.
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:27 pm 

TIPEC membership: 4636
Have you checked the micro switch at the front under the lug? Do a search as there have been many posts covering this before. Also a good article in all torque that you should find a PDF of on here somewhere.

Post subject: Re: Roof goes up, roof comes down, roof goes up, roof down.
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:24 pm 

TIPEC membership: 5230
? are you looking to take the sunroof off, if so then you need to turn the key to the first position with no lights on the dash, just the radio working, then press the roof button and the lifting arms should go back into the roof so you can then lift out the lid.
Hope this helps, if I’ve got the wrong end of the stick just ignore me :D

89 S2 44
"The fastest colour"
Audi A3 (Red)
Volvo S40 (and yes its Red)Sold
Audi A3 (White) (Ran out of Red)
Mini One