Porsche Enthusiasts Club Forum

It is currently Mon May 06, 2024 8:28 am
Classic Line Insurance

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Indicators and mirrors stopped working
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:23 am 

Hi all,

hoping someone here might be able to help as it sounds pretty trivial (here's hoping..)

1990 944 S2 - indicators stopped working - when I put them on, the indicator light comes on on the dash, but stays on solidly, no ticking. Indicator lights don't come on outside at all. So that sounds like a fuse gone to me but who knows...

also noticed that heated mirrors aren't working - however I thought they were on all the time. Having since read the manual I notice that it says they only come on when the heated rear window is on. So could be a seperate fuse gone or something else...

Are these two linked as they seem to have stopped working around the same time?

regardless - can anyone tell me how to tell which fuse(s) to check (the wiring diagrams are beyond my capabilities to decipher) or if its likely to be something else? There's an awful lot of fuses in the fuse box!!

any help very gratefully received

Andy

Post subject: Re: Indicators and mirrors stopped working
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:27 am 

Hi Andy! Presumably you dont have an owners handbook which tells you what each fuse is for so go to the 924,944,968 section on here and click on the second thread down entitled"links every 944 owner shouldnt be without".Theres loads of info for you in that lot.in particular,look at the Clarks garage link,click on Garage shop manuals on the left and scroll down to "fuses".that will tell you what they all do. Also,go back to the Tipec home page and click on "resources" in the top left corner then look for Purely Porsche , click on that and you will find another load of info about your car.Hope this helps. :)

Regards John :)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:34 am 

TIPEC membership: 4190
Do the hazards work? Not sure if they use one flasher unit or 2 on a 944. Worth checking the bulbs as well as the unit needs a load to function, several bulbs or holders could be iffy!

S2 relay & fuse crate is under the bonnet passenger side near to the windscreen. If you unclip the lid there will be schematic underneath of all the fuse & relay positions. It's worth going through the crate systematically & reseating everything, the relays definitely loosen after a while.
Not sure if the indicators are fused iindividually left & right, I thought only sidelights were.
Does the car have an alarm fitted, if this is linked into the indicator circuit then it could be a problem there?

http://tipec.net/region_southeastlondon.php

2018 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV
2005 Porsche Cayenne S Now sold!
2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Now sold!
2010 Mazda MX5 Mk3.5 2.0 Sport Tech
2000 Porsche Boxster S SOLD!
1987 Porsche 944 2.5

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:05 pm 

thanks guys - appreciate the help

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:22 pm 

update : checked all the relevant fuses (there was a guide in the inside of the fuse cover - I didn't spot that in the dark last night!!) and they're all fine

Hazards don't work (similar problem - no lights come on, and light on dash comes on and stays on but no ticking and light doesn't flash on and off)

Seperate fuse for left and right and the heated mirrors are on the same fuse as the rear windscreen heater which is currently working...

Looks like I might have to put it into the garage unless this makes sense to anyone? There is an alarm but thats working fine still so no idea.