Porsche Enthusiasts Club Forum

It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:22 am
Classic Line Insurance

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Subwoofer?
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 2:53 pm 

TIPEC membership: 5123
I'm thinking of improving the rather tinny sound in my 3.2 with some beefier parcel shelf speakers and a custom sub. My question is, has anyone managed to successfully enlarge the small parcel shelf holes to accommodate 6x9" speakers? What's it made of, does it come out, is it an easy job etc?

My next question is, has anyone tried making a custom box for the odd space behind the rear seats? Or tried getting a bass speaker in anywhere!? Obviously space is at a premium inside and it would be tricky fitting something in that's discrete, so I'd probably build a custom sealed box unported running off something like a Rockford Fosgate Punch P3 shallow-mount and doing a HWD/1728 for volume - if it'd fit. Any ideas?

Thanks for reading.

Post subject: Re: Subwoofer?
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:40 pm 

TIPEC membership: 4775
Hi There,

IMO - If you are putting a sub in you dont need 6x9's you just need decent mids.

Gary

Black 1986 944 - SOLD :(
Mitsubishi Galant Sport

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 1:45 pm 

TIPEC membership: 5123
True, I wouldn't 'need' the lower response frequencies of 6x9, I was more thinking that there's a much better selection of 6x9 speakers on the market and the performance per pound would likely be beneficial as they tend to be cheaper.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 3:18 pm 

TIPEC membership: 4775
Yeah - I see that. Had a similar dilemma back in my MR2 days.

Ended up going for 7x10's in the rear and a set of components in the front. Did a really good job.

Gary

Black 1986 944 - SOLD :(
Mitsubishi Galant Sport

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 12:17 am 

I have a feeling from the previous posts this wont be well recieved...

My oppinion is to stay waya from 6x9s or any speakers that are oval unless you have NO options, imagine oval wheels, they just arent as effiecent. You cant beat a good set of components and maybe a 10" sub (a good 10" can perform aswell as 12" or 15" subs in most applications) even a 8" sub will probably give you the desired effect, the obvious downside is the space it takes up.

I would happily design and build you a box for the sub of your choice, shame your not more local to bishops stortford, we could get some pics and scratch our heads about it over a coffee :)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:16 pm 

TIPEC membership: 0
PSRAutomotive wrote:
I have a feeling from the previous posts this wont be well recieved...

My oppinion is to stay waya from 6x9s or any speakers that are oval unless you have NO options, imagine oval wheels, they just arent as effiecent. You cant beat a good set of components and maybe a 10" sub (a good 10" can perform aswell as 12" or 15" subs in most applications) even a 8" sub will probably give you the desired effect, the obvious downside is the space it takes up.

I would happily design and build you a box for the sub of your choice, shame your not more local to bishops stortford, we could get some pics and scratch our heads about it over a coffee :)

i agree whole heartedly...6x9's are over rated and sound totaly crap a set of 6" alpine or clarions will have more definition and a clearer sound with less distortion.