Porsche Enthusiasts Club Forum

It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 2:00 am
Classic Line Insurance

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Temp oil Gauge not working
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:17 pm 

TIPEC membership: 0
My 911 993 Temp oil Gauge next to fuel gauge not working its been like that ever since i purchased the car.

Any ideas what it could be if someone has had this problem before.???

Advise would be very helpfull.

Post subject: Re: Temp oil Gauge not working
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:04 pm 

I think you have your gauges mixed up unless the arrangement was changed after 1996.

The oil level gauge is next to the petrol gauge on the small instrument cluster and when running the car it will register zero or near zero as the engine is dry sumped.

Check the gauge when idling on level ground and engine hot. The gauge should rise to near maximum. If gauge does not rise pray gauge is faulty and engine not dry and cream crackered.

To check oil level have engine hot, idling and on level ground.

My tip is this, never trust gauges in isolation.

The oil temperature gauge and the oil pressure gauge are opposite each other on the large instrument cluster with 10 other warning lights. The top warning light is a big exclamation mark. If this stays on be concerned

Also the car should run at about 2 bar on idle and 4.5 bar to 5 bar on full tat.

See you at the Red Lion

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:43 pm 

TIPEC membership: 0
mymerak wrote:
I think you have your gauges mixed up unless the arrangement was changed after 1996.

The oil level gauge is next to the petrol gauge on the small instrument cluster and when running the car it will register zero or near zero as the engine is dry sumped.

Check the gauge when idling on level ground and engine hot. The gauge should rise to near maximum. If gauge does not rise pray gauge is faulty and engine not dry and cream crackered.

To check oil level have engine hot, idling and on level ground.

My tip is this, never trust gauges in isolation.

The oil temperature gauge and the oil pressure gauge are opposite each other on the large instrument cluster with 10 other warning lights. The top warning light is a big exclamation mark. If this stays on be concerned

Also the car should run at about 2 bar on idle and 4.5 bar to 5 bar on full tat.

See you at the Red Lion
Yes the car runs about 4.5 bar to 5.00 bar on full tat and about 2.5 bar on idle.

The oil gauge does not work as it does not rise or fall at all.

Maybe you could help me look when i see you at the red lion next time.??

When i put the ignition on the exclamation light comes on then goes off once the engine starts, so is that normal.??

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:30 pm 

Hi Lee

All instrument lights go off on the instrument panel when engine fired up except the rear spoiler warning light. This will go off at about 5 mph. The car has an in built movement detection system which deactivates the spoiler warning light on movement

Is the oil fine on a manual level check and clean. If you are unclear how to check this properly send me a pm (personal message).

Can you hear the oil sloshing about on the driver's side of the car when you initially start up, you have to listen carefully.

If both of these checks are fine then I would suspect a sticking gauge, failed or lost connection or a failed gauge.