Porsche Enthusiasts Club Forum

It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:11 pm
Classic Line Insurance

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: 1983 944 Wiring/electrics/lights
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:24 pm 

TIPEC membership: 0
Hi guys

I've got an 83 944 Lux. Im part way through refurbishing this car and have replaced large parts of the wiring so far. The car was in some state when I got it.

Having got most things working now, I'm just looking to finish things off once and for all.

I'm writing to ask a few questions in order for me to get the car working as it originally did.

Here goes...

When I switch the headlight switch on, which lights exactly are meant to light up on the front? I'm getting the main headlights plus the fog lights in the bumper (on a low beam). Is that correct? Should I have side lights at all? If so, where?

When I flash the main beam stalk next to the steering wheel, the main headlights flash and nothing else, correct?

What exactly is meant to happen with the main beam switch on the central console? I don't really get the purpose of it. If I want full beam then I just click the flasher stalk like you do in any other car? As far as I can see the only thing it does it light up the little blue light on the dash (not the one on the speedo). It obviously isn't doing what it is meant to.

The fog light switch above the heater control turns on the rear fog lights only. There are 3 positions for this switch but only 2 work - on or off. Is that normal?
If possible, could someone please tell me where the brake light bulb and the fog light bulb should be situated on the rear light clusters? i.e. under indicator, middle...

Any ideas why my instrument/dash lights are on permanently as soon as the battery is connected? They would completely drain the battery. It was like this before I got the car. No idea what the previous owner must have done! A permanent feed? Someone mentioned a dodgy headlight switch but I've had it in bits, cleaned all the contacts...there's not that much that could be wrong with it?! Although the dash lights do go out when I remove the switch (that might be obvious).

I've also had the headlight motor working opposite to the lights, i.e. lights pop up and go out, lights lower and come on. I switched the cables at the motor which solved that problem, although it REALLY doesn't look to me like the cables had ever been tampered with before, so why they'd need 'changing back' I don't know...

I'd like to try another switch but at £30 they aren't cheap if it doesn't make any difference.

Maybe someone could tell me what wires they have going where in the back of their switch and to their headlight motor?

Cheers in advance

Dale

Post subject: Re: 1983 944 Wiring/electrics/lights
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:31 pm 

TIPEC membership: 6030
As the last owner of the car, I suppose I have to take some responsibility for some of the issues. :(

I don't remember some of the issues you've mentioned, especially the lights on the dash draining the battery? It used to sit for weeks and start right up?

I hope you get it sorted and returned to its former glory. :)

JOIN THE CLUB, CLICK HERE

2003 996TT

Due to the current economic climate, the light at the end of the tunnel has been switched off!

Post subject: Re: 1983 944 Wiring/electrics/lights
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:57 am 

TIPEC membership: 6030
You might get a better response if you ask the questions in the 924/944/968 section of the forum. :)

JOIN THE CLUB, CLICK HERE

2003 996TT

Due to the current economic climate, the light at the end of the tunnel has been switched off!