Porsche Enthusiasts Club Forum

It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:47 pm
Classic Line Insurance

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: 968 radiator cooling fan
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:18 pm 

TIPEC membership: 0
Started the 968 this morning after it has been sat for 3 days. Immediately I started the engine the radiator fan kicked in which it doesn't usually do. Got to my destination 30 mins later, switched the engine off and left the car for 20 mins, came back and the fan was still running full tilt. Opened the hood and it's the fan on the left hand side of the radiator as you stand at the front which is running constantly. Popped into local friendly garage who disconnected the fan while I waited. The other fan still cuts in when the engine is hot and cuts out again once it's cooled down. No problems with engine temp and everything else working fine.

Any ideas on the problem? I suspect a dodgy switch on the fan. Don't think it's the thermostat as the othe fan works OK unless there are 2 thermostats.

All comments welcome. TIA guys and gals.

Post subject: Re: 968 radiator cooling fan
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:40 pm 

TIPEC membership: 4098
I know nothing about 968's but have had a radiator switch fail twice on the 924. The first time, it failed in the on position and the fan ran all the time even with the ignition turned off (but at half speed). The second time (Yesterday) caused the engine to overheat.

I notice that you have two fans, so I would not know how to test what is faulty. There must be a thermo switch controlling the second fan. If you can get hold of a wiring diagram, you might be able to work it out.

Sorry, I can't help any further. :(