Porsche Enthusiasts Club Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:14 pm
Classic Line Insurance

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: 1973 911 targa restoration
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 7:24 pm 

TIPEC membership: 7320
Hi All,
I am a new member and I thought I would finally release some photos of a very long and thorough restoration of my 1973.5 911T targa.

First of all a little history of the car. I bought the car from California about fifteen years ago for the princely sum of $3000 (BARGAIN!!!!!!)
When the car finally arrived I discovered that I had bought an absolute stunner. Completely rust free and the targa top had never been fitted. I the used the car for the next 3 or 4 years until one day going up the M3, a quick drop of oil pressure and a huge vibration from the engine. I then dry stored her until late 2013 and then finally plucked up the courage to see the damage.

I stripped the engine down and I had broken a con rod on cylinder 2.

With a pretty much trashed engine it needed rebuilding, and that is where the trouble started!!!!!

As I am sure most of you can relate, I got carried away.

Attachment:
image2.jpg

Attachment:
image3.jpg

Attachment:
image7.jpeg

Attachment:
image14.jpeg

Attachment:
image16.jpeg

I sourced a 7R case and some new 2.7L cylinders. New crank shaft, con rods JE 10.5:1 pistons and refurbed the oil pump, new shells chains etc. and that was the bottom end done.
Next was the cylinder heads. Having discovered that they weren't particularly great. (how i got water in them I have no clue but they were knackered) It was of to Boston to see the Porsche genius that is Robert Gant and he found me a set of heads which he then twin plugged gas flowed polished and ported matched to the new inlet manifolds and RS spec valves installed.
But I couldn't let these heads be wasted so new cam carrier a custom aggressive grind on new s camshafts and PMO EFI throttle bodies.
Already I hear the purists groan (sorry!)
Then the obvious hydraulic chain tensioner upgrade and some custom base gaskets to stop my nice new valves trashing themselves on the incredibly high dome of the pistons.
After tarting up all the tin wear and adding lightened flywheel and full SSI stainless exhaust and heat exchangers, various sensors and an OMEX engine management system, (oh and twin coil packs and about 18 miles of HT leads) masses of re wiring and the engine went in the car.

A very nerve wracking moment was then on the cards................

I would like to say she fired first time however I had wired the coil packs backwards but after much swearing and a quick shuffle of some leads she purred like a dream. After some running in and various tweaking of the ECU engine out again and off she went to the spray shop.

She's now back from respray and looking stunning Thanks Gavin and all at Paint Shop Pro's

Pics to follow

Thats it for now I hope you've not been too offended by the engine changes

cheers

Dan

Post subject: Re: 1973 911 targa restoration
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:32 am 

TIPEC membership: 993
Great Dan, thanks for the story, looking forward to the next chapter :D