Porsche Enthusiasts Club Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:34 am
Classic Line Insurance

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Oversized Big End Bearing?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:49 pm 

TIPEC membership: 0
Hello folks, posting on behalf of my brother (non-computer user) who has a sickly 3.2 2000 Boxter. Hope someone can help please. He's been told by his garage owning pall that a rebore will fix his problem and a local engineering firm they can bore 0.025 without problem (as they do with many engines - there were about 5 in being done at the time. They are unsure though if oversized big end bearings can be sourced from the standard 0.25 mm. He obviously doesn't want to proceed with the boring if there are no bearings out there to match the job. Can anybody please give some pointers of where there might be a supplier, or failing that, an alternative solution.

Many thanks

Post subject: Re: Oversized Big End Bearing?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:08 pm 

TIPEC membership: 6116
I would give Hartech a ring and ask their advice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:42 am 

TIPEC membership: 0
Porsche only list standard size, its a new engine from them!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:16 pm 

eboy wrote:
Hello folks, posting on behalf of my brother (non-computer user) who has a sickly 3.2 2000 Boxter. Hope someone can help please. He's been told by his garage owning pall that a rebore will fix his problem and a local engineering firm they can bore 0.025 without problem (as they do with many engines - there were about 5 in being done at the time. They are unsure though if oversized big end bearings can be sourced from the standard 0.25 mm. He obviously doesn't want to proceed with the boring if there are no bearings out there to match the job. Can anybody please give some pointers of where there might be a supplier, or failing that, an alternative solution.

Many thanks

Hi :)

Umm if they are reboring the CYLINDERS why would he need oversized bearings for the CRANKSHAFT ???

To be honest if there is so much damage to any engine that needed both rebored cylinders and reground crank, I would look for a second hand engine....much cheaper....

All the best Brett :)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:43 pm 

TIPEC membership: 91
If the bore is damaged we can supply and fit a new liner and piston.

If the crankshaft is damaged there are no undersized shells from Porsche.

Even if there were the crankshafts are only hardened as thick as a piece of thin paper and if the damage was ground out the surface would be soft and would not last long.

We have had special shells made undersize and ground and re-hardened cranks that are presently under test in two engines - but we hve to test them for a few more months before we are certain they are Ok and can then offer them as an additional service.

We have had slighlty oversized pistons made (also under test) for the 3.6 and 3.8 engines (and in manufacture for the 3.4 Cayman S) but have not needed to do so for the Boxster s or smaller versions as they seem to rarely need them - I guess one day we will.

I hope this helps.

Baz