Porsche Enthusiasts Club Forum

It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:32 pm
Classic Line Insurance

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: 2220 miles in 7 Days
PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:42 am 

Hi Guys

Just thought I had to post something after driving my wife Boxster for the last 7 days.

Because our children decided to go on holiday with my mother (back off the net lol). It gave my wife and I a chance to do something we had talked about for a number of years (steady) to drive down to Lake Garda in Italy. So on August the 6th we set off and headed to Dover over on the ferry into France and down to Mertz midway 540 miles with the ferry crossing and stops 11 hours. What I found unbelievable was the Boxster doing on average between 60 and 70 returned 39 mpg which I thought was out standing and something I never thought she would do. Next day down through France into Switzerland which was stunning with the roof off, though the Gotthard Tunnel 17klm lkong with the roof off 36 degrees inside thought it would never end down into Italy Milan and Lake Garda ( Limone) fantastic never missed a beat drove at between 70 and 80 and still returned 35 mpg brilliant) and another 495 miles. Now I have to say at this point I had fallen in love with the car and after 10 hours of driving with stops we got out still feeling fresh and no aches and pains.

We then spent 5 days around the Lake before heading back out of Italy up into Austria through the Fern Pass more stunning views into Germany ( Baden Baden) onto the auto ban and a couple of sprints up to 135mph before the wife got worried lol into France Calais, Dover home 640 miles a long one but the car did it with ease and still doing around 35 mpg.

In summery if it's something you have thought about? do it you will not regret it it's a long drive yes but the views and the roads are stunning and with the lid down do you get some envious looks.

So in summery to me the Boxster as it all performance, looks, comfort, economical and fantastic handling. In 7 days she did 2220 mile and she never missed a beat and by the way she's 10 years old.

Post subject: Re: 2220 miles in 7 Days
PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:56 am 

Sounds like a great trip! I ve never been but sailing friends go often due to the predictable winds.Maybe someday. The car seems to have excelled in economy and capability too.The longest trip we did in the 944 was to the Isle of Skye which was 1100 miles in a week.That was a trip to remember too,in fact I would do it again tomorrow! :D

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:54 pm 

TIPEC membership: 4260
Sounds like you had a good time, glad the car went well, looking forward to hearing all about it next time we meet

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:27 pm 

TIPEC membership: 5282
Sounds a great trip. I'd love to do something similar one day but go to the Stelvio Pass In Italy (as per Top Gear).

Just need the Porsche to do it now!

Ben :bounce: