Porsche Enthusiasts Club Forum

It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 12:53 am
Classic Line Insurance

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Not the best of days
PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:34 am 

TIPEC membership: 6116
:cry:
Went to see/pick up the boxster today - had a good test run of about 40 miles with some town, some motorway and some country road driving and all well with no major probs evident. The front springs were a bit creaky but they are less than a week old being replaced for the MOT.

After doing the paper work and handing over the money went to leave but no juice in battery - it started no probs witha jump and I took the risk it was just due to car standing for a while. Drove fine for another 20 miles with no warning lights.

On way home decided to stick a new battery in anyway to be on safe side thinking would get home ok and car booked in to Brian Millers next week for a check over ajd minor service. After not very long the battery light started coming on and off but once I hit the motorway it went away but after stopping for petrol it came onh perm. Drove another 10 odd miles and it stayed on so stopped and called AA.

The AA man very helpful but knew nothing about boxsters and had to phone a local garage for some help, but did note that there was no charge getting to battery. By this time it was almost 7pm !!!!! The AA man phoned back thge local garage who were just shutting up and suggested that we take it there for them to look over in morning (They do look after a couple of Boxsters luckily) so as I had to get home for dog, Im back in Scotland and car is in the lake district !!!!!!!

pretty pisssed of obviously but did factor in some work being done in the price I payed so hopefully it wont be anything major - the real pain is the train journey back doen to pick up car !!!!

Post subject: Re: Not the best of days
PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:46 am 

TIPEC membership: 6410
Hi Ewan. Sorry to here you had problems with your Ebay purchase today. I have bought several cars from there (mostly Fords & Jags - most without seeing beforehand) and never tested one for more than 3 miles. All have been okay, but like you, have allowed some payout for servicing etc.

Sounds like this guy charged the batterey before you arrived etc. Obviously sounds like the alternator as a first reaction. AA guy would probably hgave found loose connections etc.

Hopefully, you can give us some good news soon - at least it's doesn't seem to be a major engine problem, although it would make me wary of the belts history now....

James

Previous Indulgances:
4 Auto 944's from new 85 - 93
Auto 924

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:49 am 

The AA could not find the alternator :shock: :shock: so apart from knowing the battery getting no charge he could tell me no more

Think at best its a bad connection, there was no temp problems so guessing its not the belt so at worst it needs an alternator. Suppose as I was planning on getting the belt done (its 3.5 years old) I can get this done at same time so saving me the labour on that.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:44 am 

TIPEC membership: 6030
I'm gutted for you, that is not how you want a new Porsche to behave. I'm sure once Brian Millar has had it for a few hours it will be ok.

JOIN THE CLUB, CLICK HERE

2003 996TT

Due to the current economic climate, the light at the end of the tunnel has been switched off!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:57 pm 

Its the alternator but have been pleasantly surprised by how much its costing to sort, suppose the added bonus is the belt was over 3 years old and was going to get this done anyway so this is getting done at same time with no added labour and just the cost of parts.

It will hopefully be done tomorrow and will go pick it up sat morning :-)

Then off to Brian Millers to get it checked over Thursday next week

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:01 pm 

TIPEC membership: 6030
How you getting down for her on Saturday?

JOIN THE CLUB, CLICK HERE

2003 996TT

Due to the current economic climate, the light at the end of the tunnel has been switched off!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:07 pm 

Im hoping that they are open on sat, guessing they will be as they were still working at 19:30 the other night.

Plan at moment is train which is actually only a couple of hours from Glasgow but my brother might be able to run me down if he is not working