Porsche Enthusiasts Club Forum

It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:50 pm
Classic Line Insurance

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Here we go again.
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 2:20 pm 

TIPEC membership: 0
Hiya all, well as you know the 944S has gone and been replaced with a Boxster (see post "it is deep regret") and who'd have guessed it I've already got a problem! When I bought it the guy selling it told me that while it was in the garage getting the air con done the guy said the alarm had gone off twice for no reason, he instructed him to have a look at it while it was there but they told him they couldn't find a fault. I got in it yesterday at a supermarket car park and the alarm started! After about 45 mins of trying everything I evetually turned the key in the ignition and left it for about 2 mins before starting the engine and "hey presto" it stopped. Now every time I lock the car the horn sounds for a split second and every time I climb in it the alarm goes off! I've only had it a day and am dying to drive it so any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Andy Bruce.

Post subject: Re: Here we go again.
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 2:26 pm 

TIPEC membership: 4190
Has it been left standing before you bought it? Three thoughts, the first is the battery is low/knackered & triggering the alarm. The second is it may have a sensor fault which is triggering the alarm, finally a vague recollection that the alarm electronics are beneath the passenger seat & if it has had a water leak then the electronics may have taken a wash which will also upset them.

http://tipec.net/region_southeastlondon.php

2018 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV
2005 Porsche Cayenne S Now sold!
2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Now sold!
2010 Mazda MX5 Mk3.5 2.0 Sport Tech
2000 Porsche Boxster S SOLD!
1987 Porsche 944 2.5

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 2:36 pm 

tr7v8 wrote:
Has it been left standing before you bought it? Three thoughts, the first is the battery is low/knackered & triggering the alarm. The second is it may have a sensor fault which is triggering the alarm, finally a vague recollection that the alarm electronics are beneath the passenger seat & if it has had a water leak then the electronics may have taken a wash which will also upset them.

The guy who I had bought it off has had it standing around at his father in laws alot for the last 18 months because he had bought another car. Any thoughts about the best way of going about this without creating a world of problems for myself?

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 2:41 pm 

TIPEC membership: 4190
Brucey wrote:
tr7v8 wrote:

The guy who I had bought it off has had it standing around at his father in laws alot for the last 18 months because he had bought another car. Any thoughts about the best way of going about this without creating a world of problems for myself?

Charge battery up, long & slow, would be my first thought, if this doesn't work then get the battery tested. Also run your hand around the passenger carpet & see if it is wet. If it is neither it will need to go to someone who can scan the alarm ECU to see what is going on. Is the interior light working on both doors? Sometimes it can be dicky switches.

http://tipec.net/region_southeastlondon.php

2018 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV
2005 Porsche Cayenne S Now sold!
2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Now sold!
2010 Mazda MX5 Mk3.5 2.0 Sport Tech
2000 Porsche Boxster S SOLD!
1987 Porsche 944 2.5

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 3:04 pm 

tr7v8 wrote:
Charge battery up, long & slow, would be my first thought, if this doesn't work then get the battery tested. Also run your hand around the passenger carpet & see if it is wet. If it is neither it will need to go to someone who can scan the alarm ECU to see what is going on. Is the interior light working on both doors? Sometimes it can be dicky switches.

I'll check the carpet and interior lights later. I hope the alarm hasn't drowned I've read some right horror stories on the internet :shock: Thanks for the advice though.
Anyone got any other thoughts I will gladley welcome them, that way I can go through a process of elimination. Thanks.
Andy Bruce.

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 7:30 pm 

TIPEC membership: 4623
When you lock the car, the horn "blips" to indicate that the car has an alarm sensor 'unclosed'. Obvious one would be the arm rest/glove box. There is an alarm sensor on this, and if it's not closed properly, then horn will "blip". Other things - doors (obviously) and both boots.
Make sure everything is firmly closed, then try locking it again.

It happens on my Boxster (although I don't have the same issues as you re alarm going off), it should sort out the "blipping" noise.

Try it...........let me know.

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 7:36 pm 

Problem solved at no cost. Thank God :D they have sensors and micro switches everywhere and it turned out that the odments tray lid (the mini glove compartment behind the handbrake) wasnt clicked shut properly :oops: the lid looks a bit loose so I'll have to keep an eye on it and have a go at tightening it up but you can see the micro switch inside so a bit of folded paper wedging it shut will be the worst case scenario. Now I can go and enjoy :bounce: Thanks for the replies and taking the time to read this.
Andy Bruce.
Well that was a bit weird I just typed the above and went to submit and it said one new post has been made to this topic. You may wish to review your post in light of this :lol:
Well done Graham, just 10 seconds too late. Thanks ever so much though :wink:
Andy Bruce.

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 7:41 pm 

TIPEC membership: 4623
Pleased you have it sorted out. You have a 986, yes? Same as mine, and mine was the the arm rest not closing properly - it had a broken hinge, so even though it was cosmetic, it was key to a fully-functional car.

So pleased it wasn't anything more serious (drowned electrics), and even better that it cost £0.00. :)

Sorry I wasn't on earlier in the day :roll:

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 7:52 pm 

Graham Waller wrote:
Pleased you have it sorted out. You have a 986, yes? Same as mine, and mine was the the arm rest not closing properly - it had a broken hinge, so even though it was cosmetic, it was key to a fully-functional car.

So pleased it wasn't anything more serious (drowned electrics), and even better that it cost £0.00. :)

Sorry I wasn't on earlier in the day :roll:

Yeah Graham it's the 986 and I'm over the moon with it. As regards the "drowned electrics" that was a bit of a worry because apparently it's big bucks! It is a completely different drive to the 944S but feels great and I just love the noise of the engine from behind your napper :D

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 8:33 pm 

TIPEC membership: 4636
Glad your happy with it. Should get some roof down fun this summer with any luck. Then you can hear the exhaust better. :bounce:

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 10:07 pm 

J.J. wrote:
Glad your happy with it. Should get some roof down fun this summer with any luck. Then you can hear the exhaust better. :bounce:

Yeah, I've heard alot about them sounding really good in tunnels as well but the problem is I don't think I'm a top down kind of bloke, no disrespect to anyone but I would feel too self concious about the whole poser thing (I am born and bred in north Manchester), that's why the air con was so important to me I know that probably sounds ridiculous because to alot of people that is what a Boxster is all about, but to me it is a stunning looking, great driving car. Oh yeah and it's a PORSCHE :D
Having said that when I try it out with the top down I'll probably never look back!
One thing's for sure, no one can deny that it's a hell of alot of nice car for £6000!