Porsche Enthusiasts Club Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:05 pm
Classic Line Insurance

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: 987 Cayman coolant issue
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:32 pm 

TIPEC membership: 8118
I have just had a water leak repaired on my Cayman but have been experiencing some issues with the water level. My mechanic said that I might have some air lock issues but to top up with approx 1 to 2 lts of coolant and it should be ok. On several occasions I have probably put in up to about 4 lts total now and every time I open the cap I get an escaping air noise. Should I top up the coolant with the car running and the cap off or do you think I might have another issue ? :? :? :?

2007 Porsche Cayman

Post subject: Re: 987 Cayman coolant issue
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:10 am 

TIPEC membership: 5518
I think you have an underlying issue here that needs closer inspection. Take a look at the PistonHeads thread below as it will give you a few pointers as to what should be looked at. Hope it helps.
Allan.

[report][news]Wednesday 8th April 2015quotequote all
Hi all,o

My mum has a 2005 Boxster 3.2S with about 35k miles on the clock, and it appears to be losing coolant.

I took it out for a bit of a thrashing and when I got home got out of the car I caught a whiff of that distinctive hot coolant smell. I checked the coolant level and it was well down approaching minimum.

The car was due a service in the next couple of weeks so I asked the garage to check it out.

They topped it up, ran the car up to temperature, pressure tested it, checked all the rads and hoses and couldn't find anything wrong, but they did find splattered dried coolant all round the header tank and filler cap as though it has been spraying out under pressure.

There didn't seem to be any reason for this but the coolant pressure cap was replaced anyway in case it was defective.

I'll keep an eye on the level, but for the moment can anyone think of any reason this is happening?
jakesmith

2,870 posts
107 months
Can only be escaping out of the system to air or the engine
On my 2.5 box the car suffered slow coolant loss with the light coming on & flashing every few weeks. I had the whole system pressure tested, nothing, thought I was going mad. Then I saw the odd drop under the radiator, which then became a trickle. Quite a relief to pay £500 to get the radiator swapped. On a 10 year old car that's quite likely to be the culprit. I was supprised that the pressure test didn't show this but it was a very very slow leak I guess
Crimp

909 posts
123 months
Rads or rad without a doubt.
Let it run until the fans cut in and stick your nose around the front end near the grills.
Might be worthwhile swapping the expansion tank cap also as these can be troublesome as they get older.
Good luck.
NinjaPower

Original Poster:
7,679 posts
116 months
[report][news]Thursday 9th April 2015quotequote all
Thanks.

I think maybe a closer inspection is required.

I also read that the pressure cap on the header tank can be a weak point.
cmoose

43,128 posts
165 months
Crimp said:
Rads or rad without a doubt.
Not entirely without doubt. Could also be a split coolant tank. Same basic tank design as the 986, and those have been splitting due to the heat cycles and age for several years now.

987s probably now beginning to catch up in that regard!

jakesmith

2,870 posts
107 months
If the cap wasn't replaced that's the obvious and cheapest place to start, it was revised several times.
cd1957

596 posts
112 months
[report][news]Friday 10th April 2015quotequote all
Hi There are two coolant caps on 987, one in boot and pressure cap on expansion tank in engine bay, have a closer look at front coolant pipes next to steering rack as these leak on a lot of cars i have in for service, and had one blow the pipe of off the aluminium pipe due to bad corrosion of the metal pipe.

Chris
cmoose

43,128 posts
165 months
[report][news]Friday 10th April 2015quotequote all
cd1957 said:
Hi There are two coolant caps on 987, one in boot and pressure cap on expansion tank in engine bay.

Chris
Think that's just in the Cayman re the expansion tank in the engine bay and the second cap in the boot. Certainly 3.2 987 Boxsters have the same expansion tank that's fitted essentially in the boot with the cap also in the boot and thus only one coolant cap, just like the 986.

Not sure is this changed with the 3.4 987.1 Boxster or 987.2 Boxsters.
Rockster

1,482 posts
96 months
[report][news]Saturday 11th April 2015quotequote all
NinjaPower said:
Hi all,

My mum has a 2005 Boxster 3.2S with about 35k miles on the clock, and it appears to be losing coolant.

I took it out for a bit of a thrashing and when I got home got out of the car I caught a whiff of that distinctive hot coolant smell. I checked the coolant level and it was well down approaching minimum.

The car was due a service in the next couple of weeks so I asked the garage to check it out.

They topped it up, ran the car up to temperature, pressure tested it, checked all the rads and hoses and couldn't find anything wrong, but they did find splattered dried coolant all round the header tank and filler cap as though it has been spraying out under pressure.

There didn't seem to be any reason for this but the coolant pressure cap was replaced anyway in case it was defective.

I'll keep an eye on the level, but for the moment can anyone think of any reason this is happening?
Be sure the radiator fans both come on when the engine gets hot enough and both fans blow the same amount of air and it is the same temperature.

You can do a poor man's pressure test. Be sure the coolant level is good. Not too full. Not too low. Check this with the engine dead cold. Be sure you get the cap on properly and sufficiently tight.

With the A/C off start the engine and drive the car around town until the engine is fully up to temperature.

Back home raise the RPMs to say 1000 or 1200 and hold until you hear or a helper hears the radiator fans come on. Shut off the engine.

The heat load will raise the coolant temperature and pressure and this can really expose a leak that might otherwise remain hidden.

You can place a tent of alum. foil over the fluid bay and the coolant tank in the engine compartment (if there is one). If there is any leak vapor will condense on the underside of the foil.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:37 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

TIPEC membership: 911
The cap is a known issue, also make sure that it is on tight.

Join the Club

Silver 1989 911 Speedster
Midnight Blue 2004 996 C4S Cab
Tahoe Blue 1990 964 C2
Zenith Blue 1998 BoxsterSold
Guards Red 1992 944 S2 Cab gone but not forgotten
Mediterranean Blue BMW 530e

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 5:05 pm 

Many thanks guys. I have been in touch with the mechanic and he has asked me to try a couple of things first as he said they are notorious for needing a top up after some work has been done on the coolant system, I have had all the crossover pipes changed as they were leaking. He said to fill it up again run it up to temp, let it cool down and check again, if it has dropped he is going to have her in.

2007 Porsche Cayman

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:14 pm 

Turns out it was an airlock after all. Carried out my mechanics recommendations and all sorted now. Thanks for your input guys :D

2007 Porsche Cayman