Porsche Enthusiasts Club Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:31 pm
Classic Line Insurance

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Doors won't lock
PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 5:17 pm 

TIPEC membership: 0
Hi

I bought a 2001 2.7 Boxster recently and took it to my friendly local dealer (non-franchised) for a service, which was no problem. When I bought the car I knew there was a problem with the central locking but only when I parked the car did I realise it wouldn't lock at all - even with the key - it just 'bounces' straight open again. The key (only have the one) works fine in the ignition and the car drives ok. The garage thought the problem might be that the circuit board on the passenger door lock was broken so I got a new lock from a breaker which works fine but the car still won't lock. The remote wasn't working properly (no light) but after a good clean it now is - just not having any effect.

Any thoughts would be appreciated - I didn't pay a lot for the car but I'm reluctant to shell out £000s to my local Porsche Centre if I can avoid it.

Thanks in advance

Steve

Post subject: Re: Doors won't lock
PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 12:00 pm 

TIPEC membership: 6974
If its not locking its normally because the system thinks something is open somewhere (central locking ECU bit is under the passenger seat which can get wet if roof drains are blocked). If you can find someone with the Porsche Durametric system (theres a couple of folks on Boxa.net with it or your local indie) they will be able to plug in & tell you which lock is causing the problem.

Regarding the remote fob they are a known problem & although you can get new buttons/replacement cases the only sure fire way to fix them is by replacing them or put up with locking/unlocking via the door lock which is what I am currently doing & is a complete P.I.T.A. Key fobs from main dealers are daylight robbery so talk to your local Indie as most can sort keys now (Revolution offer a complete key + fob & programming for around £160 as opposed to the £300+ I was quoted by Porsche Reading!).

HTH

2003 Midnight Blue Boxster & Swift Sport
Lichfield, Staff's