Porsche Enthusiasts Club Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:57 pm
Classic Line Insurance

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Dipping my toe in Porsche waters...
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:16 pm 

TIPEC membership: 0
Hi guys.

First post so go easy!

As per the thread title I'm thinking of getting my hands on something for high days and holidays. I've got a budget of up to £10k and fancy a late model 986 with no more than 50k miles. Preferably with FPSH and Tip or manual, not really fussed. Though if pushed Tiptronic would be nice. With that criteria it looks as if I might be able to get a 2.7 from trade or maybe a 3.2 private.

So you know what's coming... the horror stories. You'll be well aware the internet is awash with them and I'm trying not to go cold on the whole Porsche thing. So reassure me. Are these the money pits I read about with engines that regularly go pop? What should I be looking for? And tell me how much (excluding fuel, tax and insurance obviously) it takes to keep one of these on the road.

There is a slight complication though. I keep looking at 944s. Same as above but swap 986 for 944 :shock:

Thanks in advance.

Richard.

Post subject: Re: Dipping my toe in Porsche waters...
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:42 am 

TIPEC membership: 6718
Having learnt the hard way (from experience) you could consider doing what I did when I was after my Boxster (my 2nd Porker) - buy from a good, reputable Indie (Revolution, Strasse, JMG, Northway etc.) but ask them to check the contents of the oil filter for any signs of debris - you prob. need, like I did, to supply the oil & filter - then if all clear you end up with more confidence and another stamp in the book labour free. That'll tell you if the IMS is about to crash. I wouldn't buy anything above a 2.7 without getting it borescoped too - getting mine fixed, rebuilding a 3.4 Cayman engine, cost over 8k!!!! Maybe if you're spanner handy a 944 would be cool - if not (like me), Boxster, where the engine's pretty much out of harms way lol.

I don't know how much all this applies to the ones you're considering but for a guess others on here'll have more info. Many will say don't worry, it's rare - all very well if you don't get stung. Go for it but research, double / triple check thoroughly. Enjoy

'06 black Boxster 2.7 manual
New Ford Focus estate (Motability mile muncher)
[Previously '06 silver Cayman S manual]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 3:12 pm 

Cheers Mr M.

Solid advice. The reputable indie route is certainly worth considering and I looked up the ones you mention and a couple are close by. As far as the problems being rare are concerned, I suppose the internet is the best and worse place to do research. All it takes are a few problems and many are convinced something is a serious and common issue.

Anyone have any comments on the 944 option? I know this isn't the section but didn't want to post identical threads on this board.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:25 am 

TIPEC membership: 7024
Hi Richard,

I've owned three 944, two 968, two 986 and a 987 Cayman over the last 17 years. We have recently also added another early 986S to the family stable too. I still have a soft spot for the 944 and 968 - I owned my last 968 for over 6 years, the longest I've owned any of my cars. I do all my own maintenance and have just done the clutch and flywheel on my Cayman. They are all fairly easy to work on provided you've got reasonable facilities and tools. There's a huge amount of DIY info on the internet and lots of very knowledgeable and helpful people. On a DIY basis, parts costs can be kept to a reasonable level by use of OEM parts but Porsche themselves can often be reasonable too.

The problem with the 944/968 cars is that finding a good one without rust issues seems to be difficult and a sorted one seems to be well into older 986 price territory. As for driving experience, I think the later cars are better, and certainly my Cayman is brilliant. People spend big money on 968 Club Sports but having had factory M030 sport chassis 968 and 986 cars, I feel that these are a big step forward. At the end of the day, it's a personal thing but I'd go with the newer cars.

As for mileage, I would not get especially hung up on a low mile 986 car. The absolute golden rule is to buy on condition. This doesn't just mean stamps in the service book - even Porsche dealer stamps. The most problematic Porsche I've owned (my long term 968) was the only one bought with a complete up to date and documented Porsche main dealer history. Unfortunately it broke a balance shaft belt two months after I bought it and when I repaired it, I discovered the belt had never been changed and also discovered 9 teeth missing off the inlet camshaft chain sprocket......). Buying on condition means evidence that all the mileage related wear out items have been replaced and there has been no serious accident or panel damage - or that it's been repaired to a very high standard. When looking for our latest 986 recently, I unfortunately upset one seller when I pointed out previous major bodywork damage which he had no idea about when he bought the car a year earlier. At 50k you will be into the zone of wear out items like clutches, suspension arms, flywheel, door locks, window mechanisms, as well as the usual discs and pads. Also, low mileage cars won't be immune from corroded air con condensers and coolant radiators, coil packs, CV boots, etc. Then there's the care and attention (not just financial) that past owners have lavished - or not - on the car. My first 986 was a low spec 2.7 without aircon that I bought as a 6 year old with 115k miles from the original owner. It was immaculate and came with £14k of main dealer receipts (not including tyres!) for routine servicing and replacement of the sort of wear out items I've mentioned. I looked closely at his expenditure over time for that car and the spend rate did not significantly change with mileage.

I hope this doesn't put you off. These are brilliant cars and most of the points above would apply to any car. Unfortunately as these cars age and prices drop, they are often bought by people who don't appreciate that they are still a £40k car in terms of the maintenance and repair costs. Just buy carefully and look at plenty of cars to get a feel - the condition varies hugely. Get an independent inspection done if you're not sure what you're looking for. Definitely follow Wazzer's advice about the borescope inspection if you stretch your budget out to an early 3.4 Boxster/Cayman and consider a precautionary IMS bearing replacement on a 986. Get yourself a Durametric diagnostic cable and some spanners and a 986 would be a great choice.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:36 am 

Thank you very much for the detailed reply Derek.

As it happens I've decided against any sort of Porsche. My pockets just aren't deep enough should the worse happen and I'm certainly not handy enough with the spanners to attempt maintenance myself. I don't really have the time either.

Again, thanks to both of you.