Porsche Enthusiasts Club Forum

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:04 am
Classic Line Insurance

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: The 981 Boxster Loan Car Comparison with my 987 Cayman 2.7
PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 4:19 pm 

TIPEC membership: 0
The OPC very kindly gave me a 2.7 PDK '13' plate Boxster as a courtsey car while my 2008 Cayman 2.7 manual was in having the airbag deactivation was fitted. Monetary value aside I'd not swap!

The new car is remarkably similar - far more than I expected. The steering somehow has less detail but its not very distracting, not as good as the old but not that different. To me the PDK is just an auto, there is a little novelty from using the paddles and a nice blip on downshifts but dull compared with a manual box. It has that rather daft start/stop fitted - might save a tiny bit of fuel but am unconvinced of its merits. Electronic handbrakes are never a positive thing in my book. I wasn't planning on using it at all but in some circumstances it switches itself on! The ride quality is better but this will also be down to it being on 18" instead of 19" wheels and a softer sprung Boxster.

I'm guessing the new Cayman is not hugely different from the new Boxster? Certainly can't see the "game changer" aspects that the press is harping on about. I think I'll be very content with my 987 for a long time to come.

Post subject: Re: The 981 Boxster Loan Car Comparison with my 987 Cayman 2
PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:27 pm 

TIPEC membership: 0
Hi Jon
I've posted a reply earlier in a different topic where I also mentioned I was loaned a 981 Cayman S I do honestly think its better but you can certainly notice many similarities of the 987..... my loan Cayman had PDK and I reserved judgment I'm sure it's something you could easily become to enjoy. The start/stop at stationery can be overridden by the press of a button which I did straight away ..... I understand the reasoning but its not for me! The Cayman I loaned rode on 20" wheels and the ride quality was definately not as hard and bumpy as my 987 which was a welcomed improvement. I do think the shape, looks and styling have improved but I'm with you Jon my 987 is still an amazing car and will be my pride and joy for a long while!