Porsche Enthusiasts Club Forum

It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:00 pm
Classic Line Insurance

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Gear linkage failure (again!) after racing a BMW
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:07 pm 

Gear linkage failed again yesterday after the last time it happened five months ago. Bit disappointed as it happened just as a BMW goaded me for a race and zipped past me on my nearside. I attempted to whack the gear stick into a lower gear and it just wouldn't go. I thought I'd fluffed the gears, but I quickly realised the gears had messed up - it wouldn't go into second, fourth or sixth and I had to bail out of the race before it had barely started and let him have his victory before I came off the main road and parked up to wait for the RAC.

Anyhow, I took it to Tower Porsche as recommended here, and they quickly fixed it today. Warranty company doesn't cover cables, so I contacted Cridfords where I bought the car from and they have offered to foot the bill and Tower Porsche will send them the cables Cridfords fitted five months ago so that they can make their own warranty claim against Porsche for the cables.

Apparently, the guy at Tower Porsche said that gear linkage cables shouldn't break so easily and it is possible that they were kinked when fitted and this created a weak point in the cable then ended up snapping.

Is this normal? Should the gear linkage be so fragile? Should I stop racing BMWs?