Porsche Enthusiasts Club Forum

It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:13 am
Classic Line Insurance

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Rear window tear, oops!
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:37 pm 

TIPEC membership: 0
Hiya all, whilst washing my Boxster last night I got a bit heavy handed on the slightly cloudy rear plastic screen and oops or for fu#ks sake as I like to call it! The top of the screen tore away from the convertable hood. The tear is about 8 inches long and it is just the window that has come away from the stitching, the window is absolutely fine but I what would like to know is if it easily re-stitched and is it gonna be mega bucks? also can anyone recommend anyone in or near Manchester? Thanks for reading.
Andy Bruce.

Post subject: Re: Rear window tear, oops!
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:49 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

TIPEC membership: 911
They can be re-stitched, now might be a good time to put a glass screen in. I don't know anywhere near Manchester.

Join the Club

Silver 1989 911 Speedster
Midnight Blue 2004 996 C4S Cab
Tahoe Blue 1990 964 C2
Zenith Blue 1998 BoxsterSold
Guards Red 1992 944 S2 Cab gone but not forgotten
Mediterranean Blue BMW 530e

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 5:55 pm 

TIPEC membership: 0
Give ninemeister a call they may know someone in your area.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:42 pm 

TIPEC membership: 7
don,t no if you have had it done yet . but i went to a chap in loughborough .hubbard upholstery. he made a great job of my rear screen . he did 3 cars the same day i was the last 1 . can,t tell it had been repaired when he had finished . in fact my seats are with him now . he sells new leather seat kits on ebay he makes them himself . seen his trimming work its very good .his number is 01509 267166

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:18 pm 

TIPEC membership: 4952
Skype ID: JW590
Give this guy a call - Phil 07860182423.

He's in Leigh and if he can't do it he should know somebody who does - and of course you pay Leigh prices.

Edited to add - I also know of the stuff that you use to clear the 'cloudiness' off the plastic screens. Used it on our old Z3 and it was amazing. It's expensive but I may have some left.

1991 944S2, 222000 miles.
2007 Audi A4 Avant Tdi 140 S-Line
2014 Mercedes SLK 250 AMG
1995 Triumph TR6

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:11 pm 

TIPEC membership: 6490
Glad I stumbled across this post. I've just bought my car and have the exact same fault with the stitching at the top of my rear plastic window. Saw it before I bought the car and decided it wasn't a deal breaker though the heavy rain we're currently experiencing is managing to find a way through. I see no reason why the existing holes in the plastic cannot be re-threaded and tensioned to the hood with some quality cotton thread and I fully intend to have a go at this myself... when it stops raining. As a side note I've noticed that the plastic rear screen gets tensioned in the middle top area whenever the roof is put half way down to perform the 'boxster chop' so it's of no surprise that the stitching comes adrift in this area.

Had to laugh last night, I jumped up from my seat in front of the telly to the awful sound of the horn and alarm on the car. Ran outside expecting to have a rumble with some rascal breaking in to the motor and was relieved to find that the towel I've balanced on the wind deflector to catch the drips had dropped onto the seats triggering the motion sensors!

:lol:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:25 pm 

TIPEC membership: 6490
Just thought I'd report on the repair job I've just performed on my rear window (damage as detailed in post above). It's a two person job, one inside the car to pass the needle out and one outside to guide the needle through the weather strip, plastic window and roof. It took about 2 hours all in to complete. I used a fishing braid with a 2mm diameter needle and literally threaded the braid through the exisiting holes and tied it off. To finish the job I've applied some McNett Seam Grip (used to repair tents and wetsuits) to bond the the roof to the window and add extra strength in this area. Time will tell whether it holds but I'm satisfied that it will, it's saved me a few quid and I've had the satisfaction of doing it myself. Hope this helps someone else...