Porsche Enthusiasts Club Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:28 pm
Classic Line Insurance

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Boxster Wont Fire.
PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:30 pm 

TIPEC membership: 0
Hiya all, I always write really long winded posts as I have a touch of OCD so I'll try and keep it short as I need a quick answer :lol:
I haven't started up the Boxster (986, 2.5 1999) for a couple of months as the slave cylinder went again and I had a cob on :banghead: . The battery flattened completely and although I've eventually got a bit of charge in it (a nightmare in itself) and the engine is turning over it is not showing any signs of firing at all. I'm wondering if the imobiliser is preventing it or if the memory needs re-flashing or if it is a plug/coil/HT lead problem or something much worse? Please help as I've been Porscheless for 3 months now :crybaby: . Thank you for reading.
Andy Bruce

Post subject: Re: Boxster Wont Fire.
PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:02 pm 

A good, fully charged battery would be my first step.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:04 pm 

TIPEC membership: 4190
You say "I've got a bot of charge in it" If the battery isn't a 100% then it may not start. The fuel pump running can drag the battery down to the point where the ECU won't fire the ignition &/or injectors. Try putting a decent charger on it for 24 hours & try again. Are you an AA/RAC member a call to them might help.

http://tipec.net/region_southeastlondon.php

2018 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV
2005 Porsche Cayenne S Now sold!
2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Now sold!
2010 Mazda MX5 Mk3.5 2.0 Sport Tech
2000 Porsche Boxster S SOLD!
1987 Porsche 944 2.5

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:47 pm 

Brucey wrote:
Hiya all, I always write really long winded posts as I have a touch of OCD so I'll try and keep it short as I need a quick answer :lol:
I haven't started up the Boxster (986, 2.5 1999) for a couple of months as the slave cylinder went again and I had a cob on :banghead: . The battery flattened completely and although I've eventually got a bit of charge in it (a nightmare in itself) and the engine is turning over it is not showing any signs of firing at all. I'm wondering if the imobiliser is preventing it or if the memory needs re-flashing or if it is a plug/coil/HT lead problem or something much worse? Please help as I've been Porscheless for 3 months now :crybaby: . Thank you for reading.
Andy Bruce

Turned out to be the fuel pump fuse. Anyway engine running fine but after fitting yet another slave cylinder (3rd one) it has failed. I suspect the clutch itself is goosed and is causing them to fail but before *I start removing gearboxes etc etc or sending it to a garage causing me to flog a kidney I would like some ideas as to what it may be. Please help as it is getting desperate now and I haven't drove it for 3 months and am thinking of walking away from Porsche but really don't want to!
Thanks.
Andy Bruce.

*I means father in law, and I would be lucky to get ten bob for my kidney!